Agnostic.com

19 8

When in your life have you been humbled?

kensmile4u 8 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Continuously!

During my teaching career I was often humbled by my students. They came up with wonderful ideas and the working of their brains was delightful. I loved it when they came up with a perspective that had never occurred to me.

I can relate to your comment. I was a teacher as well for a while. I taught engineers how to get ready to pass their professional certifications. Can you imagine the questions from a room full of ambitious analytical highly educated adults? I was humbled on a regular basis. But I came away from the experience deeply knowledgable in that specific field of science. Thanks.

When you think you know almost everything and you get thrown for a loop. Example, fixing cars or fixing computers. Always something new to learn!

Learning is a humbling experience. Almost all of my humbling experiences were self inflicted. Thanks for your comment.

Please join the Godless musicians group.

[agnostic.com]

Every single day I am reminded how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of things. My struggles and worries are mine alone to face. Every day life knocks me down a notch

I admire your resilience and courage. I appreciate your determination an transparency. We all learn from you what true toughness is all about. Thanks for your helpful comment as usual.

At college, I reckoned I could play the piano, just because I could read music a little bit and plink out Knights In White Satin if asked. There was a piano in the canteen and I was doing my 'thang' as clumsily as ever when in walks this scruffy, pink-haired kid who looked like a typical artschool drop-out. 'Ha! No-hoper,' I thought, as I was an insufferable prick.

I got off the piano and sat with some friends, basking in their admiration, then after a few minutes, Jake the pink-haired kid shambles over to the piano. I watched him sit down with mild amusement...

And he starts belting out the most AWESOME 12-bar boogie.

That was one of those key lessons in life that has always stuck with me, and a small chip away at my lifelong assholery.

Good story, As a life long musician i have seen many prideful musicians get fed large humble pie in front of lots of people. It can be crushing. I've seen young hot shots at local guitar competitions destroy seasoned players to the point that they want to go home and break all their gear. There is no mercy in the business. I've been humbled on several occasions. Thanks for your comment and please join the Godles musicians group on this site if you have not already.

I have been humbled and painfully taken down a notch probably over twenty times, and because my behavior towards others can be atrocious, and I have failed in many critical endeavors. My latest experience was about last week, when I took time to write down everything about myself that I wanted to get fixed. I was astonished at the amount of things that were wrong with me, and wondered why no one told me about all this stuff, including the relevant medical staff.

It's wise to take inventory of your good and bad traits. I do that every New Year. IMO we are all works in progress. Thanks for your comment and modesty.

@kensmile4u

Maybe I can do good traits next. I don't know about my good traits, really.

@DZhukovin THAT, fella, sounds like depression... Been there. Hope things are okay with you.

@DaveMania

I think my testosterone is just unstable. I should lift weights, eat something and rub my nuts when I am feeling low.

@Heathen_555

Thanks man

Too many times to name.

Your modesty is truly a virtue...

This may sound corny but after my 5 year old daughter had cochlear implant surgery. Just watching her learning to listen so she can talk correctly. Never giving up. It's the little things we take for granted and it humbles me when she achieves those little things.

I's not corny at all. In fact I went through something similar. My youngest son suffered from chronic ear infections so he heard everything as if he were underwater. It was amazing after his drain tube surgery to see the look on his face at three years. I was truly humbled and thankful for the diagnostic and surgical skill of the doctor who fixed him. I'm glad you had a positive outcome with your daughter.

When I got diagnosed in January 2017 with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Nothing like cancer to make you acutely aware of your own mortality.

I totally agree. I hope you are winning the battle. 10 years in remission here. You can do this! Thanks for your comment.

My 60th birthday party. Many of my friends came over and told each other (and me) how much I mean to them, and what great effects I've had in and on their lives. I had a little idea tat I had positively affected a few of them, but I was overwhelmed. It's been 2 months and I still get misty-eyed when I think about it.

Like right now.

That story says a lot about you. Congrats on being such a good friend and thanks for the positive comment.

That's very beautiful.

I was humbled every time I attended a birth. I was humbled when I was with a dying person, and being at the death. I am humbled when my big old dog looks at me with total love, when my cat crawls into my lap, when my horse trusts me enough to let me ride him. A lot of things humble me.I think it is important to be secure enough to be humbled by things that are larger than we are.

I appreciate your humble comment. Thanks

A number of times. It is actually good to be brought back to earth occasionally so that our egos do not get out of control.We really do not want to become Trumps.

hahahaha So True!

Several times but the most recent was when my long-term on and off girlfriend finally moved out and I realized just how hard it is to be alone, both financially and emotionally.

Sorry for your setback. I hope in your case the hearts broke even and you can move on. Thanks for showing how relationships will humble you.

Been done by others to me numerous times but that's because I try to open myself up to the experience. I also try and do it to myself on a daily basis. I think I just humble-bragged. Oh, well another opportunity to surrender to the reality I only matter as part of larger wholes.

All in all you're just another brick in the wall - Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

My Mother and Father kept talking about divorcing I was about 8 years old and I told my father when we were walking to the Library that I didnt want to be with my Mother (she was manic) and he hit me for the first time ever round my face- I felt both humbled and indignant.

Sorry you had to go through that. I hope all worked out for the best. Thanks for the comment.

More times than I can count, but here are a few:

When a woman told me she loved me.
When I saw my newborn daughter come into the world, and again with the arrival of my son.
After my divorce, when I felt like I wore a Scarlett Letter
After my worst Diabetic incident, which put me in jail for a few hours (charges dropped due to medical)
These days, any time someone pays me a compliment.
And any time I watch what my (now grown) children are capable of.

Thanks for the wise and modest words. My kids humble me regularly too.

Many times especially with a lack of knowledge applies.

I can certainly relate to that! Thanks.

Ever not got the job?
Ever not got the girl?
Ever jump in and find yourself in the deep end?

I've been humbled quite a few times. It worked out well. Now I am one of the humblest people you could meet.

Thanks for your modest words.

@kensmile4u oh no i messed up again. now i'll end up even more humble ?

Explain....too nebulous a question.

Intentionally wide open question. Humble pie can be served from unexpected places. I'm hoping to find out about some of them.

Looked up the definition.
Not sure I ever have been although I'm sure many have thought they did. Seems a self inflicted condition.

@Slappy_Longarms That's what Christianity was meant to be but it seems to have produced a lot of smug, self-satisfied people. I guess it is hard to be humble when you're one of the chosen few.

@Slappy_Longarms Yes most of my humbling lessons have been self inflicted.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83594
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.