Agnostic.com

21 6

Should U.S. candidates be required to release tax returns as public knowledge?

Should they have financial transparency?
Or are their finances anyone's business?

What do you think?

• 54 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
silvereyes 8 Dec 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absofuckinglutely! It's a matter of disclosure of conflicts of interest, outside influences, etc., not to mention that someone who's running as a successful businessperson as their primary qualification and claims to have upwards of 10 billion dollars would have to, y'know, prove it.

Our elected officials are in office (not in POWER) to serve us, their constituents. I would like those elected to office to account for all the free airplane rides they receive from "donors", all the free Super Bowl tickets, etc. I believe there are possible conflicts of interest with our present President. I believe it should be a requirement for all Presidents, Vice Presidents, and ALL Cabinet members to release their tax returns. I also believe they should submit to polygraph tests about any sexual harassment, unethical behavior in all other their businesses interactions. I will not go as far as requiring them to confess to infidelity; that is more personal and should not be a necessity to gain or maintain office, except as in the case of a certain Senator from my home state, who visited known prostitutes. That is illegal (unless they want to decriminalize prostitution, HINT!).

Tax records, police records, they should have to release everything as if they were applying for a high level job...which, I do believe, they are.

Especially when we're expected to believe that they have released control of any of their financial holdings that pose a clear conflict of interest in their voting on regulations for our country.

It drives me up the wall. One rule for them, one rule for us.

tRUMP 's tax returns are under audit every year according to SAD SARAH HUCKABEE SANDERS LOL.

Sad. So Sad. She looks so uncomfortable on the podium every time I see her.

But of course our money pay their salary

This is a public election and, as such, pertinent information should be open to the public.

This issue has com up only because our latest leader has sought to personally do away with what has become an unwritten practice. Others may follow will put another nail in the coffin of our democratic system..

I think they should take mandatory random drug tests too.

Good idea!

How about n IQ test? Must be higher than how many women you've accosted.

They should have to release their tax returns and all of their college transcripts. We have too many politicians who are clueless when it comes to Economics, History, and Science.

BD66 Level 8 Dec 15, 2017

I work for the DoD and I’m required to disclose all of my finances to maintain my security clearance.

It’s how they make sure I’m not in bed with the Russians.

I want to know if there are any conflicts of interest.

Definitely, The more the information we can get which reveals anything about the candidate's character the better!!

I have paid my taxes, yet I think Federal income tax is burglary. What you earn is nobodies unless you want to share.

In case of Trump he should show his taxes as a public figure along with his IQ test to lay his BS cards down.

US is the only country in the world, they come after you for taxes no matter where you move to in the world. One man tried to burn his US passport and 3 times they still would not let him go.

where could he go without his passport?

If someone is choosing to leave the private sector for public office, yes your taxes should be made available.

That is the way to go, be a private person. Being a public person with properties you become a large liability and they go after all kinds of things.

Yes! It is not a personal matter because they have chosen to enter the public, political, arena.

Because money and politics are linked and we should know where your loyalties are if you want to be our leader.

If you don't know about a candidate's personal finances, you don't know who holds financial leverage over them. POTUS45 is a prime example.

I'd also like to see candidates release more medical information.

Why? That should only be between themselves and there physician.

It's gonna be a moot issue once the tax plan is passed.

godef Level 7 Dec 15, 2017

Most definitely, it is one of the last step to America becoming an oligarchy.

It should be public record to determine what laws the candidate will support based upon his tax record. The current president has with his new tax bill taken very good care of himself and other wealthy people at a very high cost to the other 98% of the population. He is increasing the national debt and will scream that the dems must bring down this debt when the reps. are out of office. Let us hope we can reinstitute these taxes on the 2% that should be paying their way!

Of course they should public interest can only be served if it is free of private interest.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.