Agnostic.com

32 39

I'm a rock star!

"I wish I was a rock star," Kriss groused jokingly. Today Kriss and another volunteer mentor, Charlie, received the "Heart of the Mentor" award from the Wenatchee High School College Mentor Program.

I got the "Scholarship Rockstar" Award. I feel thrilled and touched.

Andrea, college mentor program coordinator, was giving out awards. I perked up when she said, "And this year, she even taught her mentee to drive...and hemmed her prom dress!" She was talking about me.

Today we attended the Partner Appreciation Luncheon at Ohme Gardens. Sitting in the hot sun (88 degrees), Kriss and I retreated to the shade. Speeches went on-and-on. They ran out of water. People fanned themselves with the program. The College Mentor Program was last.

I passed notes to Kriss: "I want to leave" and "I'm melting!" Glad we stayed.

Since 2006, I have been a volunteer college mentor at Wenatchee High School. I help low income, minority students write essays for college and scholarship applications. Also teach them organization and the importance of completing deadlines early.

Often they are the first person in their family to go to college. It thrills me to send these kids to college.

LiterateHiker 9 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Congratulations! Any time you enable another person to accomplish something, you have done something of great value!

fantastic! I worked with young students before and it's extremely rewarding to see them realize that they can do this. then watch them get fired up about it. congratulations.

Wow! All you have done is highly commendable. As you know, the award is not the reward. But it's nice, am I right? Congratulations, and you keep it up hon.

Congratulations!!!!

Excellent, I too have worked with students and found it extremely rewarding. Love your work ❤

Congratulations! You earned it! ????

Congratulations.

That is awesome !!

Ohub Level 7 May 23, 2018

Good on you!

YOU are a rockstar. That is awesome. I'm hoping in 4 years when I retire I can give back in that sort of way

boom Level 4 May 23, 2018

Aww...gee...shucks... (sound of scraping hiking boot.)

That you very much. Hope when you retire, you become a college mentor, too. Look up the Wenatchee School College Mentor Program, WA STATE. Here's the video. I'm in the video around 1.37 minutes.

(((( ❤ Kathleen ❤ ))) Congratulations !!!

Thank you so much for changing lives. I was the first person in my family to graduate from college. Without a great mentor like you, it took me 17 years. I had a great teaching career, though.

@schwinnrider, Congratulations for earning your bachelor degree and becoming a teacher. I'm proud of you. I admire your perseverance and love of teaching. Bravo!

Way to go. I went Ohme Gardens years ago, back around 72, I it so beautiful.

Congratulations. Good on you and keep up the good work. 👍

Betty Level 8 May 23, 2018

Yes, you certainly are a rockstar and my hat’s off to you. You are indeed an outstanding individual and have a right to be mighty proud of yourself. And for what it’s worth (maybe five cents) I’m proud of you!

@ezwryder, Than you so much!

Outstanding Kathleen!! Way to make a difference! 🙂

NMRK Level 3 May 23, 2018

Congratulations! Sounds like it was well deserved!

Grats

I'm second from the left. This photo was taken today, May 23, 2018.

"Congratulations to all of our 2018 award winners at today's Partner Appreciation Luncheon, hosted by Wenatchee Learns Connect.

"Left to right: Nayeli Cabrera (Most Fearless Mentor), Kathleen Miller (Scholarship Rockstar), Kriss Crilly (Heart of the Mentor), and Charlie Atkinson (Heart of the Mentor). Thank you for making such a meaningful impact in the life of a 2018 WHS graduate!"

From the Wenatchee High School College Mentor Program Facebook page.

Congratulations!

Yay congrats out to you. ?

Good for you!!! I'm in Wenatchee and my daughter teaches in an elementary school here. One thing I learned is that a good teacher is motivated by more than money as most teachers could earn substantially more in the private sector.

Congratulations! ????

Love Washington! the people ear wonderful. you're a prime example!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:88792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.