Agnostic.com

19 3

Why do we hate?

Why do human beings do such harm on others, is this inheritance, or caused by their culture?

amosi 4 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There was a book out once called "Future Shock." I think there is something to it. Put us all together and "rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell" and you can see the fear, anger, unfamiliarity, and ignorance needed for this. Bible thumpers say "it's the end times." I say our lives have speeded up so much since 1950 that it is so hard to keep up with everything. This might explain why as we go forward it might look like we also go backward. We have too many gadgets and apps and fear and anger surround us as we don't know what the hell is going on.

I've come to the conclusion that 90%+ of hate is really fear.
All the arguments I hear, like unfamiliarity of cultures, appearance, or habits, really boil down to fear.

Definitely a common rule of nature. If the wonderfully gifted god made us I have to ask why did he not give us photosynthesis. Plants have it and do well. We as an animal must kill living tissue and then consume it inorder to survive. So we hate or express the attitude necessary to harm It is just mother nature. Or a real stupid god.

EMC2 Level 8 May 25, 2018

I think people hate what they're taught to hate....without a director...people don't inherently hate....

Jealousy is a factor.

Testosterone

Because love isn't everything.

Self-preservation leads to fear leads to hatred of those perceived to threaten our self-preservation. By birth we are allocated a group (race, creed, nation). We are taught that other groups threaten our liberty and therefore we should fear and hate them. We are convinced of this to such an extent that we sanction taking their liberties from them, even their right to life. We are convinced of this to such an extent that we bomb and invade countries that would never bomb or invade us (though we allow ourselves to be convinced individual terrorists do it on their behalf, to ease our conscience and allow our group leaders to kill on our behalf.) Why do we hate? Because we are gullible fools. ?

Becuase the collective IQ of the planet is not very high?☺

First comes erroneous, untrue thoughts and judgments about other people, and this fosters anger, fear, hatred, and generally poor health, loneliness, and unhappiness. The effect snowballs, with ever increasing effects. The solution is to think only true thoughts. Police the mind.

The greatest human to walk the earth in my lifetime was Maxie Maultsby Jr. That is just my opinion of course. His books should be in every home, school, and library.

Because happiness needs a balance? I don't know.... good question...

I agree with all the others on the fear factor.

I heard a correlation just recently, which probably applies to the nationalism we see in the US and around the world: as formerly oppressed populations start to make gains in equality, the establishment populations start getting a little cranky.

I think fear is the prime motivator at the core of almost all behavior.
it's why it's so important to combat, and so useful for control.
It's a commodity.

I don't know about others, but I believe it comes from the fear basis. They don't know, so they fear.

Agree - fear.
Good book - the Tyranny of Malice - Joseph Berke delves into it a bit.

There would be no hate...if there was not first fear! Fear comes before hate! It is either a known or unknown fear of something! When we know ourselves, we tend to make sense of our fears and they do not become hate...even if we are angry.

@Ride_Captain ‘you have made sense of your fear!’ Fear is a part of our nature, so that we could survive up to now! Fear can ‘run amuck!’ Then humans strike out at dangers that are not a real threat...but, subconsciously are in operation...because they struck a nerve!! This would take more time than this forum allows...you can do your own study! It is a brain thing!

We hate because we have fallen prey to the notion that the object of our hatred is made of its negative parts. Hate is a kind of spook for that reason.

Fear.

Fear of change, fear of the unknown, fear of being wrong, and fear of being less than.

Betty Level 8 May 23, 2018

When selfish we neglect our fellow man. But when we think of others we better ourselves as well.

There is no one answer. Sometimes, it is ecause the persons DNA hard-wired the person to be a vicious sociopath. In other caswes it is due to a twisted personality development. Some cultures harbor much hatred. Sometimes is is a mixture.

@WillP2020 Your response seems simply uncivil, and seems to indicate an inability to deal with complexity and no desire to do so.

@wordywalt Some people do deserve hate, but only because of what their hate causes. We "loved" the Germans until they invaded Poland in 1939. We didn't hate the Japanese until Dec. 7, 1941. Of course, much of our hate is manufactured by society. Nobody cared about Iran until they took those hostages, right? Or Saddam, until he invaded Kuwait. And Muslims before 9/11.Beyond hating, say, whack-job individuals like Gacey or McViegh, or any of the schoool shooters, hate tends to be based on threats, real or imagined, to our "tribe", as nebulous as that "tribe" may be.

@RonWilliam53 True, some people, like Trump, Hitler, and Stalin are so evil and destructive that they earn hatred. I do not extend such hatred to an entire culture or nation.

The culture in the American south is full of racism, bigotry and destructive reactionary ideology. I hate that and will fight against it with everything I have, but I do not hate sourtherners as people. I detest those destructive behaviors and aspects of of southern culture.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:88862
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.