Agnostic.com

19 7

LINK Evolution's Worst Mistake? How About External Testicles?

These are not simply obscure academic issues. Our inability to make vitamin C caused the death of millions of our forebears from scurvy. Poor drainage in our meandering sinuses causes frequent and painful infections. We are evolved to survive and reproduce, but not necessarily to be healthy, comfortable, or happy.

Even our powerful minds, supposedly our crowning achievement, are anything but perfect. The biggest threats we now face are purely of our making. Because evolution does not make long-term plans, neither do we: We jump to conclusions, think only of the short term, ignore evidence we don’t like, and fear and despise those who are different from us. And unlike external testicles, which are merely inconvenient, these are flaws that could one day prove fatal to our imperfect species.

zblaze 7 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In addition to the gonads, the placement/doubling up of sex organs with waste removal is a pretty big drawback. As one comedian said it’s like putting an amusement park next to a dump.

My least favorite feature these days is how ill equipped our backs and hips are for standing completely upright or retaining their posture while sitting. I suppose we’re meant to be crawling, walking or lying down at all times but that really cuts into my sittin around time.

Who are you to say it was a mistake?

Pretty sure all vertebrates except mammals have internal testes...& I can't think of any mammals that don't. For some reason sperms have to stay cooler than the rest of a mammal's body, yet birds are warm blooded.

Another apparent (& cruel) evolutionary mistake--the size of newborns' heads v. the size of women's pelvises. I guess large headed babies had a big enough evolutionary advantage that it outweighed a certain percentage of them dying (along with their mothers usually) during birth.

So it's not just longterm & short term benefits, but also numbers--grazing animals' normal diets are high in fiber & low in nutrients, so they're drawn to foods like grains & lush new vegetation that have more nutrition & calories. This helps their survival & ability to produce more offspring, but sometimes if there is a lot of rich food available at once they can (& do) eat enough of it to kill themselves. Overall, a taste for rich foods is good for the species but not always for individuals.

Carin Level 8 June 1, 2018

As far as the planet may be concerned, and the species with which we share our island home, the human brain may turn out to be rather less the crowning glory of evolution that we assume. As marvelous as the human brain is, the intelligence it houses is unlike any other. Our intelligence lies in the ability to exploit the environment entirely for our own purposes. We have the ability, beginning with the breaking of flint rocks to exploit the characteristic sharp edges their particular geological properties produce, to impose our will upon the surroundings in which we find ourselves or into which we wish to move, from striking sparks to make fire to the design of deepsea bathospheres to explore the oceanic deeps. In the process we produce global atmospheric pollution, nuclear waste and the threat of thermonuclear extinction, billions of tons of non-biodegradable plastics that increasingly foul the oceans (together with nitrogen run-off from agrobusiness and crude oil) and, as these break continue to break down into micro-fragments, ever more air pollution and ingestion.

Next to that, external testicles seem small potatoes.

Well I dunno that i can comment much about testicles but I think the little toe should have gone by now. How often have I accidently kicked it on a table leg or chair?

@AncientNight Apparently it's really hard to walk without big toes though!

And words of caution, "go slower, til we find out more", fall on greedy and manipulated ears.

Mosquitos

Very important food for fish. I still hate them though!

I once loved a man with really long testicles. after the initial shock, they were kind of a turn on!

I just have a mental image going on now of the moment you found out. ???

@DaveMania yes, I asked him if they were ever in the way!

External testicles: critical to the continuation of the human race. How else were you going to cool down the sperm?

@NotAndrew Maybe snail and frogs, but none of the higher order ones.

@NotAndrew You are right. They are below their kidneys. If it works for elephants, how about human males.? We'll have a study, one group gets their testcles moved into their body; one remains as is. We'll record what happenes.

Evolutions worst mistake was the human brains ability to advance to a state in which its greed could be utilized to its full extent derived from the technology it developed ,therefore causing over population and eventually the next great extinction.

Really? Elephants?? Sure did not know that! Humans & other mammals with undescended (internal) testicles are at higher risk for cancer.

When you watch infinity war and come out of it agreeing with thanos that's when you come to realise that maybe it's not moral or ethical to try and save lives that humanity's greatest failure is empathy maybe the worlds to crowded and the well meaning efforts of humanitarian organisations are just prolonging the suffering of groups of people living in areas not suitable for that many people. If you left 90% of the population to starve and die well there's more than enough resorces for the survivors to prosper but that's not moral to a species with empathy.

That's really controversial but I absolutely agree with you. We're too successful for our own good. We have stopped human evolution in its tracks. We became what we were (before religion and politics) by survival of the fittest, now we help everyone live and reproduce, passing on their genetic faults. I'm not suggesting that we stop that, how cruel, but it would restart evolution.

I mean, for goodness sake, we have actually made it illegal to die when you're so ill, in so much pain that it's torture. Doctors have to drag every last painful second out of you. What the hell?

@smoyle
It benefits the ins companies, for profit hospitals, big pharm, various medical supply companies, lobbyists, and the crooked politicians.
How could it notbe this way?
The only losers are he common people, and we don't count cuz we're replaceable.
For now

@njoy_life_2 ain't that the truth!

Of all the species we know of including those that have died off wouldn't you say we're the most successful where evolution is concerned? Aren't we the shining achievement in evolution's billions of attempts?

Dinosaurs lived for hundreds of millions of years-they were actually quite successful. We haven't even made it one million years yet.

I think I read somewhere that insects are the most successful group on earth.. I could be wrong.

Why would success be measured in time when humans are almost capable of preventing a species ending event in less? Durability I could see as a useful evolutionary trait although I still think humans are more successful than cockroaches. We can fly to the moon and are on the verge of creating artificial intelligence and they are just hard to kill as an entire species.

These flaws may play a part in the human race's continual evolution.

That is actually brilliant. Until something does not work right, i.e. prevents an individual from reproducing, evolution can't work on a "fix" (probably a poor word choice in a discussion about testicles).

@AlanWatts

One example of evolution happening now is suicide. There are some who may choose suicide young and thus never reproduce, in contrast with those who live and reproduce.

There is some research suggesting a genetic component relating to depression and some people have a gene that predisposes them to depression.

Of course, environment plays a huge part. But ending one's life is a definite block on reproduction - thus survival of cognitive fittest.

Evolution requires turnover, so fatal design flaws are a feature, not a bug.

Well so much for Christian idea of perfect in God's image. I think our species is a work in progress and we have a long way to go if we don't kill each other off first

Interesting. Will read more

And they develop Their "Own Mind" at puberty.

Coldo Level 8 May 25, 2018

That's a kick in the balls.

And the fact that we can't heal our teeth's enamel has caused more deaths than car accidents... Granted, not as bad since the advent of modern dentistry, but still. And it's been said that if you live long enough, your guaranteed to get some form of cancer. If we were "intelligently designed" the designer was a rank ameture who should have been fired for cutting corners.

Dental decay was not a huge problem till agriculture began. Starches from grains stick to your teeth & also affect the kinds of bacteria that live in your mouth, favoring the decay causing kinds. I attended a talk by a dentist & researcher at a breastfeeding conference. He studied ancient teeth from babies & toddlers who died before & after the beginning of grain agriculture. Evidence showed that decay increased greatly when people began eating a lot of grain. Even unweaned babies (before they began eating solids) began to get decay since humans get our flora from our mothers after we're born.

@Carin sugars and starches... Evil stuff.

@Kafir But Oh so tasty & addicting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:90359
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.