Agnostic.com

11 16

LINK Irish Voters Set To Liberalize Abortion Laws In Landslide, Exit Poll Signals | HuffPost

I can only hope that the huge majority who have voted to do this are people who have stopped believing in the Catholic Church. Less religious people generally means more progressive views!

ksmartines 6 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A brilliant outcome. Ireland, take a bow.

This referendum became possible after the Irish high court ruled earlier this year that the only right of unborn children is the right to be born.....all other constitutional rights take effect at birth.

Question: If the unborn have the 'right to be born,' how does this lead to legalized abortion in Ireland? I'm missing something in the logic......

Women should have control over their own bodies. I'm not even sure why men have a vote in this!

God aborted the human race of all ages with a huge flood so I don't see what the problem is with a womans decision over her own body.

What a shocker this is to me! I have always thought that the vast majority of Irish were followers of the anti-abortion segment of the Catholic Church!

No, the populace has drifted away from the church in the past few decades. More and more Irish like myself and my husband are actively distancing ourselves from the RC church. The voters of yesterday were younger and more vocal than has been the case for years. Plus there have been a number of high profile abortion rulings that have upset the apple cart for the pro lifers.

As a Former Irish Catholic I can assure you that the churches behaviour has alienated many if not most Irish Catholics.
Many have drifted away from Catholicism altogether..either by not practicing or by non attendance.
The church as we knew it has lost its grip and influence in our country.
We are now considered very progressive.

It will be interesting to see what the final figures are

This country forward and this (ours) country is going backward.

I couldn't agree more.....

Couldn't be more pleased for the women of Ireland.
It's about time their laws reflect the Will of the People, and not
the antiquated views of a religion that should have died out
hundreds of years ago.

Hoping for the best for Irish women!

I watched a story about this on PBS News Hour tonight. I was surprised to see just how similar the rhetoric on the issue was the same in that country as in ours. They interviewed this one woman who described herself as "very pro-life" who talked about how she was told her fetus had a fatal disease and wouldn't live long, but she was so proud that she gave birth to the baby and took it home and it died a "short time later" (the story didn't say exactly how long.) And I thought, you know, that's great if you want to have a baby that is going to die soon anyway. But what gives you the right to tell another woman who you will never meet that she can't have an abortion just because YOU don't like it?! She made it sound like voting to repeal the amendment would mean she couldn't have had her baby, which is absolutely ludicrous.

I think abortion is terrible, but it's not my choice to decide whether or not someone I don't even know can have one.

Second exit poll puts it at 68% in favour. People travelled back to Ireland to vote.It's a rural thing,there are still many devout Catholics.

Coldo Level 8 May 25, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:90640
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.