Agnostic.com

44 5

Do you believe in life after death of any kind?

If you believe that life keeps going after you die, please explain what you mean.

paul1967 8 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

it depends on how we define life. considering that "energy equals mass/matter multiplied by the speed of light squared" it would appear that matter (e.g. dead bodies) do not get lost as such, but re-unite with the universal energy. to what extent or if at all this possible process includes the preservation of consciousness - i haven't a clue. life as the dance of atoms maintains its energy. life as self doesn't last.

You are spot on as usual. Energy will always exist, but I've been unconscious enough times to know that when that switch goes off my awareness of self, goes away. I am open to a possibility that there's a giant candy cane (Stolen from @Skado because it so brilliantly illustrates the point) at the center of the Earth but it's not something I believe is there. If it turns out that there is an afterlife, then I will deal with that reality, but I must live my life as if this is all I get.

@paul1967, making the most of it, that's the best we can do for ourselves.

Our physical being will disintegrate into nature, so possibly be incorporated into the world. Our consciousness will cease to be. Our energy field will also be no more. However those individuals whom have shared in that energy throughout ones journey could carry and pass on some of that energy?

I’m not sure... it’s a nice idea... both my parents have passed and I like the idea of knowing they’re out there looking out for me. When I visit their grave I just feel weird though. Sometimes they feel close to me, but that could just be nostalgia... for the most part, I’m saying no, but it’s a nice idea.

Naw... that keeps me free.

Nope.

Ahhhh no..life..after death..

Nope

No. It is here and now.

No.. It would be a fine thing alright..but No unfortunately..Nothing.. zip.. nada..zilch.

I don't believe that life exists after death but I sure wish a lot that some level of consciousness did.

No

Belief could be a strong word for it as it is temperd with a scale tipping amount of doubt. I have and do study some Buddhist philosophy and technics and it feels plausible when I’m in meditation. I think of it as a energy net that we come from and return to, I can invision this being part of the natural world not requiring an intelligence or creator, this can lead to a feeling as if reincarnation is plausible. It’s what I would like to believe but without better evidence than simply how I feel, I can’t trust it as an actual reality.

I have an open mind about it.

Yes of course; every cell in our body has the same chance as every other to have been part of some other life, some other form, some other existence. Will I be aware of it? I can safely determine not as I have no such recollections and have never encountered evidence of same. Mortality is a natural safeguard; Look at the damage inflicted on the planet or its occupants in single lifetimes and imagine how much worse it could have been, given more time!

StJohn Level 6 June 10, 2018

Not at all

If you buried me in the woods, the insects and plants would benefit from my decaying body, but other than that, no.

Do you believe in life before life? Just asking, because if we go somewhere, I would think we have to come from someplace too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:91690
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.