Agnostic.com

77 8

Do you find it offensive when theist think without a belief in god/gods, it’s impossible to have morality?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

77 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Theists don't think, they believe.

zesty Level 7 July 9, 2019

yes. also frustrated. it happens a lot online. face to face, the worst i have had to endure recently was someone's assuring me that atheism is a religion.

g

Haven't we had enough with the offended whatever? No, I am not offended. People can do whatever they want as long as it doesn't interfere with my personal space. If that happens to be the case then instead of being offended how about a sucker punch? (Just being ridiculous nonsensical because I can 🙂 )

"You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong, then you lack empathy, not religion."

I am offended when they speak this nonsense in front of children. My granddaughter is no longer allowed to be friends with a girl in her class because we immoral atheists”.

what a shame

I think that it is a little bit offencive but mostly I find it ignorant and arrogant on their part.

Response to the titled statement as read yes or no, prior to reading specificity of nature.....imagine yourself as the thiest, who's just boosted the spiritual ego....enlightened seem to spread light......you've been handpicked by the theist to discuss and debate! Advance the upward gravety of gnosis

StephD Level 4 June 11, 2018

Nah... But I tend to respond with ideas they find offensive.

Oh... So without god you would have no moral code? So you're not giving me an argument for god you are merely admitting that you are unethical trash beneath me because you require punishment to enforce decency, am I getting that about right?

When I hear that the bible was written by men inspired by god I suggest the writing on the bathroom wall could be equally inspired. They don't usually care for that. LOL

I find it very offensive. One is basically saying you are not a human being. The fact is, everyone has morals. Even inside prison there is a moral code. Morals are a part of humanity and can be either bad or good.

Punch Level 4 June 2, 2018

Offensive. No. Utterly cretinous. Yes.

So my emotional reaction could be described as viewing their stupidity as being risible.

Not, really, only a non-critical thinker sees the world in a dichotomy. I will point out that the concepts are not mutually exclusive, one can be critical of religion and be a moral person. If they are not receptive, I ask myself, do I want to waste time (that I can never get back) attempting to broaden the mind that is like a steel trap (closed so that nothing gets in). I have the choice to be pulled into their ignorance or move on...

I find it incredibly arrogant and smug and it can really disgust me at times. So yes.

More than anything, I am sorry fiction has shaped somebody's view of reality to that extent. Ignorance, just by itself. doesn't offend me. It saddens me.

I can't really say as I've never been confronted with it first hand but I don't think I'd find it offensive as it's nonsense

My answer revolves around not being able to screw up and pray to have my sins wiped away. Atheists are required to get it right in one, it's what makes us such great people.

I find less offensive and more idiotic. It always makes me almost feel pity that someone can be so gullible. They hate when you point out that the god squad has some of the most corrupt and immoral people alive at the head of its ranks.

True talk! Well said!

being offended by something is never an argument for me. It annoys/frustrates me and I do feel compelled to point out the unbelievable level of ignorance the person has to think that only a theist can be moral. Being offended is subjective to the individual. Remember, there are people out there who are offended by the idea of equality. Whenever I disagree about something with someone, if that person ever accuses me of offending them, I like to go with the famous Hitchens reply of 'I am still waiting to hear your point'

Nope

Not really, but I'm a behaviorist. I try to fully own my own emotions, thoughts and reactions, therefore I understand what others think and do is on them and out of my control.

A few theists are toxic, but sometimes it's funny instead of offensive. There was fellow supervisor (thank goddess he barely impacted my work) and there had been a little tension, but nothing big. He found out I'd performed some gay weddings and angrily asked me, "you're just an unrepentatn sinner".

I said, yeah man. Strangely that worked for him, he just needed to put me in a box and that decreased our tension.

I still smile when thinking about that exchange.

I don’t find it offensive.. but it is incredible stupid. it just means that they would choose to have no morality cuz they are psychopaths hiding behind false morality.

Honestly it shocks me.. especially when the comment comes from someone I've known for years..

I find it highly disconcerting that as far as they’re concerned the only thing keeping them from raping or killing is an imaginary giant sitting in judgement. Says a lot more about them than us. Ok dude... I’ll just walk on this other side of the street then. You do you, your holiness. People be scurry. ???

Nothing is impossible. I've run a marathon.hiked the Grand canyon, know people that have run a business using just a bicycle for transportation and done other incredible things. Beliefs don't really factor into morality,you can only try to good within reason. I believe in moral proximity (help when you can and have the means).

I believe that here in the U.S. all people have the right to believe as they wish. Beliefs,skin color,educational levels all factor into the persons character but do not define it. I live an active lifestyle,try to be friendly and mostly succeed in not judging others. As for morality; I believe there is right and wrong,good and bad. Each person is unique and should live the life they enjoy!

Let's see now, I get my morality from life experiences, family, friends, innate sense of empathy and compassion for others, books, schools, the golden rule of society, etc. When I'm faced with a decision to do right or wrong, I immediately know it and it has nothing to do with scoring points for Big Daddy in the sky.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94301
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.