Agnostic.com

25 3

What is a word you use that isn’t in the dictionary and not many other people use?

My word I use is “I’ma” instead of saying I am going to. What’s yours?

pan_heathen97 7 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fuckwit. Maybe it's a real word, I don't know. I use it quite a bit. I wish I didn't have to use it at all.

@Faithless1 It should be if it isn't.

My word is trashketball. The act of making a game out of putting trash in the trash can! I'll spin and fade and release...It's good!!! And I'm the trashketball King!! Lol

Trumptard.

"Nappish": like "peckish", only re: sleep instead.

Also "grok"--not my invention.

Grok - hardcore.

I have a few, but prolly is prolly the one I use most.

Wont. He drank coffee, as was his wont.
Not sure if it's still in dictionary though.

Still good. And I like using won't in conversation as well.

That's legit.

I use two words that I first heard when I was in the carnival:

1. glom - become stuck or attached to
  2. scoash - a small amount

The only other place I have heard either word was when I lived on the East Cost (Virginia)

Used in New England, NY too.

I always imagined it being spelled skosh.

@geist171 I had to look it up in the Urban Dictionary. I had no clue how it was spelled.

@Slappy_Longarms Most of the carnies I was around were from Pennsylvania and New York.

A fellow coworker and I use the term "mo better" which has its root in the term "more better" used in a sentence, "let's change the air conditioning filter, so that it cools mo better"

Hodie doe... meaning: Getting a little bored with something, tired, relaxed. Not sure where I picked this up.

Gonna

Tharn. It might be in the dictionary. From Watership Down. It is a way shorter way of saying "deer in the headlights" but is a verb I think "going tharn" Nope an adjective. I think. Damn. You'd think I wasn't a writer.

Remote contuner. That's a hand me down from my father. He a master at malapropisms. My kids didn't realize a remote contuner isn't actually a word until they were about 12. Their friends straightened them out

I use Imma too. Usually if it precedes something like "whoop yo ass", or if I say something sexual.

Yonder..meaning over there.
Yall...everyone
Buggie. ... Shopping cart
Hosepipe. ..water hose.

All'y'all git yonder.

@Slappy_Longarms lol yes exactly

Fuckwittage.

Berrypickerish. Describes anyting earthy and hippie.

Turbocrusher. It's the word I use for people that are excessively gung-ho.

Confabulate - combining nonsense to conclusion.
. Comfortablize - to make comfortable.

we used to say vomitomic about something especially bad, as in it would make you vomit and it would be of atomic proportions.
Also, from Chicago, we would eat sammiches for lunch quite frequently.

I was going to point out that I use "et" as the past tense for "eat." But sure enough, it's in the dictionary. So now I don't know what I'll use in place of that.

I'll use "kilt" as the past tense of "killed." These are facetious usages though.

But I can thank Heinlein for "grok," which is now in the dictionary as well.

In a similar vein, I like "kist" for "kissed" (as an adjective, not verb).

@Gareth Nice.

Been using Avast and Aroint more often.
It is a word but fallen from use. I like using antiquated words...yay, and verily so.

i often use usetabe. it's just convenient.

Could you use that in a sentence, please? I cannot grok usetabe without context.

@Kuildeous well, if I am trying to say something about like "back in the old days ... " then instead I can say "usetabe ... ". Does that help?

@kauva Ah yes, that clicked now. Thanks.

Flatch. It's just one of my surgeries on the English language.

"Yins, Yinz, You'ns"

a contraction of "you ones" similar to the Southern saying "ya'll" (you all) and endemic to Western Pennsylvania

@NotAndrew Yinz should get with the program and 'nat.

@NotAndrew yinz need to redd up yer room or wait a whole 'nother day to go into da 'burgh ya jag off! Cheese and crackers! Fer cryin' in da sink!

I still occasionally say “ain’t” ... there are probably more entertaining examples I make up on a case by case basis but I just have to run into the proper context to think of ‘em. I’ll get back to ya 🙂

Use it a lot an' I ain t gonna stop.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94672
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.