Agnostic.com

20 0

How do you define SUCCESS?

So, I was voted most likely to succeed in high school, but the problem is that I'm still trying to figure out what it means to succeed. If someone would fill me in on what I'm trying to succeed at, then maybe I can win this thing. ;-P

The_Antichrist 6 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very subjective

I’m tired of all the winning. You lose.

What the FUCK is that supposed to mean?

@The_Antichrist It was supposed to mean that I can’t fill you in on what you’re supposed to succeed at. Therefore, you lose. I was pretty drunk when I wrote it, though.

"She loved people," is how I want to be remembered.

I set myself goals and if I succeed I am successful...that easy really. I think it's living your life on your own terms with your eyes open.

That's what I tell people. If you accomplish a majority of what you set out to do, you are successful. Many people translate "success" to "wealth", but I never had the motivation or desire to be filthy rich. But I have accomplished almost all my goals (including good health), and consider myself more successful than some multi-millionairs I know. I am still, after 25 years, still strugghling with learning Japanese though.

@RichWWeissmann have you been to Japan much? I hear languages are easier to pick up if you're able to immerse yourself in the culture? Good luck 😉 At least it gives you something to strive towards still.

@girlwithsmiles been there a few times, but only to visit a few weeks at a time. Not enough time to immerse. I will keep trying.

Waking up in the morning feeling happy with your life.

Achieving your goals or overcoming your challenges

KenG Level 6 May 31, 2018

Success is achieving what you wish to achieve.

For me, success isn't about 'winning' anything. It's about being able to look at myself in the mirror and smiling because I respect and like the person smiling back.

Succeed = a bird with no teeth ....

Not the teeth thing again. You're haunting me with this thing.

@The_Antichrist lmao

Being content and at peace with one's self.

An interesting question bordering on the philosophical. What is success? Is it what our society would most likely define it, as the acquisition of great wealth? Or maybe the recognition that comes from great fame? Or maybe the acclaim that comes from achieving some great goal? You will never be able to live up to the expectations of society, friends or family so I think success should be defined by the person. For me then I define it as reaching a level of contentment and peace with myself. To be able to have a level of financial security, respect of my pears/family and the love and romance with a compatible woman.

Set a goal, work to achieve it. Repeat on everything you do. That's just one piece of the puzzle. If on top of achieving your goals, you find joy while at it, THAT may be A definition of success

Yes, here here.

Success at what? If you mean life, nobody else can define success for you. However most high schools use this superlative to mean financial success IMO.

Success is better never be defined by the person who is succeeding.

If you are the antichrist... that's not it.

Lol!! Why not?

Success is succeeding, despite the extreme case.

Any landing you can walk away from.

I agree with @SCbeelady success for me is being happy, feeling fulfilled, and having no desire for all of the trappings of life. I raised 2 great children and I have an awesome grandson and I am close to all of them. These are things you can't buy. I am open to life and learning and hopefully will continue to live in that way

Achieving a goal and then going on to the next one. "Success" is only STEPS in a process. You'll see. It's always made me sad that we expect young people (high school) to make lifetime decisions on career goals, etc. Perhaps you're trying too hard to be DEFINITE and not giving yourself enough time to (a) really KNOW who you are, 🍺 begin to define what happiness would be for yourself, and ☕ figuring how to get there. Good luck!

For me success has meant contentment. I've worked hard to achieve the things I have in my life and I an content. Spent quite a few years chasing the bigger house, newer car, best of the best always working for something else never really enjoying what I already had. I don't do that anymore. Success is being content.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95377
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.