Agnostic.com

19 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never found that to be the case but maybe I live in different circles - I have always found religious people to be more uptight and careful.

I think that more religious people would be less inclined to admit they were depressed or seek appropriate help. It would go against everything they were taught.

I find this highly doubtful. What I do know is that, especially in the Happy Clapper churches people put on this fake facade that all is dandy and say " isn't god great" To define yourself as depressed would be admitting to a lack of faith so you aren't going to admit that to the person taking the survey. I would also suggest that those with mental health problems might turn to the church in hope of healing. When this doesn't happen, they may become more depressed. And Don Baker has a rather biased view because he has no idea of the unity and joy and purpose that being a humanist has on the human psyche.

We live in reality.

I have to question your basic premise, where is your data or is it just you that feels that way?

To whom are you speaking?

Could it be that depressives often have a more realistic/less idealized view of the world around them. Perhaps this is because depression removes the cosy acceptance that many non-depressives are able to enjoy or, conversely, because seeing the world as it is, bereft of illusion, prompts a depressed stae of mind.

I am a pretty happy bunny, 70 years old and and have never had a god - Life is great the only thing that spoils it for me is people who want to hurt me - because they themselves are hurting.

While I would have thought (and rightly so) that atheists, over all, would be less depressed, I could certainly point to having to deal with the (theist) idiots of the world as being a major depressant for the average atheist. ... but apparently, we rise above.

Because we live in a world where we see daily religions causing mass destruction.

I’m open to the possibility that skeptics could be more susceptible to depression. Maybe gullibility and closed mindedness could help to cloak some negative aspects of reality.

KenG Level 6 June 1, 2018

Well, not-nikki, it's because we are more likely to seek help for it and be open about it. Christianity has put a taboo on mental health, and they think "we'll if not praying hard enough hasn't fixed it, then you are Satan" so they stamp it down and put a lid on it

Also I've always suffered extreme depression, but that's because life is full of horrific experiences and traumas and I don't get the comfort of "its all part of a better and bigger plan"

Also true. Though studies have shown that religious are more depressed than atheist

There is nothing about reality that requires it to be comforting. I'm reminded of the quote from George Bernard Shaw... "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

At times I get slightly depressed because I am not young anymore. That has nothing to do with beliefs or the lack of

Are they? I'm not seeing that. I did hear of a study that showed, (this was a few years back), that people who are real sick are more likely to die if they know others are praying for them.

I’ve got chronic depression, not from atheism, but from chemical imbalance. If anything, I think I find more meaning in my life by NOT being religious/believer.

So am I and I agree

Because they know there's no Disneyland waiting for them and the blindfold of delusion has been removed meaning they see life without rose tinted glasses.

I am absolutely convinced that religious "true believers" are more mentally unsettled, ergo more prone to depression. Ergo, the question has an underlying false assertion.

Because of Christian comfort versus Atheist's facing cold hard facts sometimes the truth is a little grim, so being human one is bound to fall foul of depression from time to time.

If that is true, and I am skeptical, it is probably because we are so isolated. Hopefully this is changing with the times.

You are absolutely right. It's because the community was always and is still a minority.

And also because we don't get to just shrug bad thi ngs off as "God's plan"

@LadyAlyxandrea We can just shrug things of as "it's just human nature". And most of the time that is true.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96260
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.