Agnostic.com

14 6

LINK There's even more evidence to suggest popular vitamin supplements are essentially useless

"We were surprised to find so few positive effects of the most common supplements that people consume," said Dr. David Jenkins, the lead author of the study. "Our review found that if you want to use multivitamins, vitamin D, calcium or vitamin C, it does no harm — but there is no apparent advantage either."

There were, however, a few apparently advantageous supplements. Folic acid and B vitamins with folic acid may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke, the study found. Niacin (a form of vitamin B3) and antioxidants, meanwhile, were associated with a higher risk of death by any cause, albeit a very small increase.

The researchers say these higher risks could be related to niacin's adverse effects on blood-sugar levels, or that when taken in high doses, antioxidants can be harmful. Alternatively, it could have something to do with people sometimes thinking that taking vitamins can be a substitute for a healthy, balanced diet.

zblaze 7 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I guess it depends on the person. I've experienced a lot of success with Vitamin C tablets during cold and flu season. It doesn't help when you're already sick, but it does help prevent disease, along with good hygiene habits. I used to get terrible leg cramps at night, but I started taking a daily multivitamin and they've completely vanished. Not much of a coincidence if you ask me. You need a healthy diet to begin with. Vitamins won't help you if they can't be properly absorbed and used by the body.

Agreed on the healthy diet, but even a healthy body cannot absorb the major part of a vitamin when taken orally. That is why the urine changes to a lot darker color when taking vitamins. They estimate 80% of the vitamins are peed out of the body.

@zblaze Taking vitamins when eating helps with that. Also, even if 80% is not used, the 20% that is absorbed does have some helpful effects.

Could be, could be, but magnesium prevents those aweful leg cramps at night and vitamin E oil helps soothe my sunburns. And beer helps my attitude.

I would be curious to know who is funding the research. I would also like to know which brand of supplements they tested. Not all supplements are the same.

Yes, the sponsors can be key to the results, can't they?

@Condor5 Yes, every time.

I have just been diagnosed with severe iron deficiency, so I'm hoping the supplements will be effective.

Eat spinach. Popeye knew. Seriously, I was told that after a comprehensive physical once. I began eating spinach and never had that problem again.

If you do end up taking supplements, take the slow-release pills. Straight iron will make you very constipated. My sister has low iron, and they've really helped her.

The three primary supplements I use are/have been effective for the conditions for which I consume them: they are glucosamine, for joints; turmeric, for misc. body pains; and magnesium, for peripheral neuropathy. Say whatever you want, but they work for me to alleviate problems related to those conditions.

Well, the sawdust business is booming though.

B vitamins can save lives in extreme cases, but the myth that it's impossible to overdose on them is incorrect. High doses can cause nerve damage over the long term.

I take a B complex tablet every now and then.

I believe the vitamins I take are useful. For example D3, because I don't get enough sun. Also omega 3 oils. The other supplement I take is K2.

I try to get the rest from food.

PLACEBO effect, maybe...I agree with many of the posts regarding a balanced diet... but... many Americans are lazy, or too busy (bad excuse)... most excuses are bad, we know that... but... that's why the OTC vitamin market is a multi billion $$$ industry. They know us and take advantage of all our excuses.

Tomas Level 7 June 5, 2018

Most diet supplements are eqally useless and a multi-billion ripoff foisted by the culture of greed.

I will take this study with a grain of salt.

Yesterday, the soil was rich and there were fewer pesticides. There were no GMO"s and glyphosate was not invented. Animals were raised in healthy environments not like the atrocious conditions of today producing pus ridden, bacteria ridden sick animals. So eating well was enough. Today, the choice of the food you eat is of first importance, but supplements do help counteract modern sophisticated stupidity. There is always evidence on both sides. It just matters what evidence you are privy to (There are tons and tons of studies.) and what evidence has been suppressed by companies wishing to add to their greed like Monsanto. However, it is interesting that certain supplements might be deleterious such as niacin which is very unpleasant to take. I certainly prefer to take supplements that do the same job as medications. It might be slower but very much healthier. Where it concerns supplements versus big pharma I strongly opt for supplements. Big pharma stuff bears a price to be paid .. that price not always associated with these medications, but nevertheless very real and life shortening.

All the most recent studies point out that most supplements don't work. It seems you're choosing to believe what you want to despite new,better evidence.

@Blindbird Not so. Simply not so. Perhaps the truth is that what you say applies to you. You have no idea of where I have been and what my exposure has been. I find it amusing that some people really think they have a handle on everything when, in truth, we are all limited in scope. You can disagree with what I say, but please respect that someone else has been exposed to things that are not in your ken. Eat what you want, conduct your health the way you choose and live well. We are all different and think differently.

@think-beyond I'm thinking that it is so. No one is telling you to stop taking whatever you want to. We're just pointing out that you are likely pissing your money away.

@zblaze Actually, it is more.

This is nothing new, they've been saying for years that one should be able to get all the needed nutrients through a healthy balanced diet. I try to eat as healthy as possible but I lead a very active life and travel a lot so it's not always possible to eat exactly as I should. I take a wide range of supplements as more of an insurance policy that I'm am getting all the nutrients my body needs. The one thing that has been determined is in most cases more is not better. I just take a little of everything.

My doctor told me that; "you're just making expensive pee".

Lols, a nutritionalist I knew took an expensive multivit every day and said it's ok; you just pee out what you don't need. I still take one most of the time.

Which the exactly One Hour on nutrition he was forced to take in his entire 8+ years of schooling obviously qualified him to know........

I like to pee champagne, do you have a problem with that???

I still take them as I'm afraid of the shock to my body in the case of going cold turkey after years of consumption, plus I still consider the jury to be out to some degree.

I'm with you there. Every month, or week it seems sometimes, new evidence shows up that proves or disproves this or that. I've taken glucosamine for close to 25 years. When I stop taking it there is a marked increase in joint pain and lack of functionality; to the point my knees will lock up. I would not take these things if I was not getting some clear benefit from them. I refuse to use prescription drugs because of problems I've had with side effects. When I go in for my checkups, they always comment about how well I'm doing at 68.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:99794
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.