Agnostic.com
5 4

Does anyone have any luck or can share a method to grow onions and garlic?
I have the 2 sprouting and I would like to plantbof possible.
Thanks

Zoohome 8 Apr 18
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The biggest common mistake a lot of people make, is to plant the sets too deep. They really want to be perched on the surface of the soil, push in just enough to keep them in place, no more. Free draining soil in good light and air.

Fernapple Level 9 Apr 19, 2020

@Allamanda I wopuld think that you could try, but if the onion is already rotting then I would not attempt it, even if it does live it could introduce fungal disease such as white rot into the garden.

@Fernapple @allamanda mine is in perfect time then. I'm gonna plant it today.

Very easy to plant my sister knows as a master gardner will ask her if you want message me

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 18, 2020

The only success that I have had has been from the white rooty ends of store bought spring onions - they grow strongly producing thick leathery leaves and 1" diameter lower white stems which are great sliced into salads. The greens are best simply added to casseroles/stews whole & then discarded after lengthy cooking unless you like chewing green leather with a faint onion flavour!

FrayedBear Level 9 Apr 18, 2020

And did you get baby onions as well?

@Zoohome photo now added of spring onions. These are about half the size they sometimes grow to and of course about 5x the diameter of the spring onion bought.

@FrayedBear great! I'll plant mine soon as I just noticed roots growing.

@Zoohome When I use the onion in cooking I put the root hairs in water to keep them alive until soil planting. The same should happen with the bulb onions. The other way is to buy seed onions or plant cooking onions that start to sprout.

Companion planting can help, onions around strawberries tend to be happy, along with bigger and sweeter berries. Garlic can be paired with beets, kale, spinach, or potatoes (also roses).

Interesting, I had no idea. Thank you.

Maybe I plant by my BlackBerry?

@Zoohome Hmmm, not too sure about that, but you can google "companion plants" 😉

I've found that onion and garlic do best over the winter in the south, i like to plant in sept and october, the 1015 onion was named after the date of set planting in the Rio Grande Valley.

glennlab Level 10 Apr 18, 2020

Interesting. How do you set it up? Pots or ground?

@Zoohome I've done both, with the rocky shallow soil here in dallas, I have used trough type planters, in Houston straight into the ground.

Same in Zone 6, midwest.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 38

Photos 5,329 More

Posted by FernappleThe little woodland garden, is a symphony of blue, purple and white now. Hyacinth, Honesty, and Ornithogalum.

Posted by KateOahuThis morning I went to a class for making a terrarium with native plants at the Waikiki Community Center, which is about three blocks from where I live.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,512Top