Agnostic.com
6 9

Why do we garden, at this moment? [theconversation.com]

Allamanda 8 May 6
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most often, playing in the dirt is the only thing that still makes sense.

I planted both spearimint and peppermint . I rub my arms through it before I begin gardening to keep the misquitos away . And it smells so good . I enjoy a little time outside on the fresh air and a little indirect sunshine . I've been working for years , trying to get the backyard to be a pleasant place to be . I started with flowers , trying to select hardy plants that love the Texas weather , some that couldn't handle the Maryland snows I used to see . Then I began learning about their micro climate preferences . I moved a row of trees , that had been planted too close to the swimming pool . As the trees dropped seeds , and the seedlings started to grow , I encouraged the ones I wanted with fertilizer and watering during the drought periods . When they were big enough , I cut down the ones in front of them . Brought in more durable landscaping materials , just a few at a time , so we ( my paid help and I ) could handle them . I'm making better use of high planters , so I can work on them from my scooter . The plan had always been to plant food plants next to the sun porch , so kept that area free of weed killers and pesticides , but had to put off planting it due to the proximity to the builders . Now I'm beginning to put in food plants . My paid help is beginning to see and understand why I plan for pavers around the planters and has become more enthusiastic , about putting in the heavy bits that make things accessible for me .

Cast1es Level 9 May 6, 2020

Thanks for sharing that journey it's inspiring!
At age 52, I am happy to still be quite able bodied, but I think about gardening throught life and how to keep it accessible. I also think about what it will mean to move. I want my retirement years to be in a beautiful, far more progressive state than I currently find myself, (I have my eye on western Oregon in the Cascades), but it will be hard leaving a garden I have poured 15-plus years of loving care into.

I am on here now mostly because I am at work, ...lunch hour, and don't have access to the garden. I agree with the allure of gardening mentioned in the article. Gardening is my exercise, my meditation time, my communing with nature time, an all around de-stresser. Puttering out there is a joy.

I live in a little triplex. The neighbor in the house on the end has planted a little tomato patch and invited the three neighbors here to work in it and share the fruit.

freeofgod Level 8 May 6, 2020

Yeah, I agree with her that the activity itself of gardening is intrinsically more satisfying than sitting in front of a monitor. Though I acknowledge the opportunity to discuss arcane topics with the rare individual who is really interested is an attraction offered by the internet, I also feel that pervasive use of language is part of the problem. Just to notice things and do things without a lot of accompanying narration is part of what I like about gardening. It feels good to let the mind empty out once in a while. But I especially connected with what she called the pervasive retreat of nature and needing to feel a part of that.

MarkWD Level 7 May 6, 2020

Lol, yup, my hoeing muttering. Seems a great release hoeing and muttering, talking to the weeds never apologizing for my actions...lol

@Allamanda yup, and allergy season, mine starts early in the spring but is tapering off now. Particularly bad spring allergy wise for me this year. Every fall and spring allergies...it a curse to deal with, and yea, it makes me curse. Lol

It’s my therapy. Just getting my hands in dirt and feet on the ground makes me feel better.

@DavidDuhon yes! I’ve been doing more of that. Getting off the computer and outside to tend to my new garden beds at my son’s home. I get more grounded, and get more vitamin D from the sunshine! Win, win all around!!😉

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 30

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top