Agnostic.com
6 4

Though I am pretty experienced with edible gardening, I've shied away from flowers for the most part other than perennials - especially roses. I love roses though, and I was gifted with a hybrid tea rose For Mother's Day. Other than full Sun, what are your musts when taking care of roses? Is it possible to keep it happy in a container? If so, how big of a container do I need?

FlippantLlama 8 May 10
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hybrid Teas, while having the most beautiful flowers, have a Very ratty appearance, just a few (usually diseased) leaves on bare stalks "skeletons". Plant them at a distance, with something full in front, for cutting, not in close up pots. What you want for a pot is mini roses or shrub roses, that look fine even if not in bloom.

AnneWimsey Level 9 May 11, 2020

Don't waste your time. Move to Newport Rhode Island or the UK. They need lots of everything. Plant natives and you won';t have to do a thing. Rose's need to remain totally dormant for a period of time, battle rose bugs requiring tons of insecticide....... unless you plant a rose native to Kentucky.

Mooolah Level 8 May 11, 2020

I believe local climatic conditions have a great influence on which roses will do well. For example I grow a climbing rose called 'Royal Sunset' which thrives in my coastal California conditions but does not get a very high rating because it does poorly under so many other conditions. Roses do want some water so in a pot you'd have to see to it regularly .. well you would here but I understand that, unlike here, there are places wherre it rains between April and December.

MarkWD Level 7 May 11, 2020

You can absolutely grow them in pots, though they are generally more fragile then, prone to either drying out or waterlogging if the pot drainage holes come to be blocked, either by packed dense soil or by the roots themselves growing through the drainage holes and thickening over time. In pots, you have to water frequently and be careful with fertilizers, lest they become too concentrated in the confining space and chemical burn tender feeder roots.

Rose varieties vary a lot in mature plant size. The pot size needed depends on the variety. I generally used 16 to 18 inch diameter pots for minis or very young full size varieties and 20 to 24 inch pots for larger bushes. The largest pots are very difficult to move, so keep that in mind potted roses benefit from a repotting/partial change of soil every 3 or 4 years. Best done in dormant season or at late winter pruning time.

As for rose needs in general, pick varieties with healthy track records in your region. Some handle heat better, or extreme cold, or even both. Some prefer humidity, some relatively arid conditions. Some are more disease-resistant, some disease-prone.

Aside from full sun for six or more hours a day, roses like regular frequent watering, but roots cannot tolerate standing water for more than a day or two, so they also need good drainage. This can most reliably be facilitated with slightly raised beds, even 4 inches above surrounding land will make the crucial difference. They produce much better if nourished well, as they are heavy feeders, but pay us back by blooming over long seasons...the modern varieties, at any rate.

One really helpful online resource is helpmefind.com/roses, which is a great search reference tool, with descriptins and pictures and grower commentary on thousands of varieties, not to mention links on where to purchase.

A second resource is gardenweb.com, the sublink on roses. This is a chat site for gardeners and a great place to find many testimonials on specific varietes and attributes and quirks that describe them, as well as rose horticulture advice.

I've had a couple in containers and they did well (my containers were very large) but I found it easier to have then in the ground with mulch. I tend to go to the beach in the summer and my house sitter is not the best with plant watering....
Tips: do not water in the evenings if possible - you want the leaves to stay dry over night. Water well, especially the first year. Feed regularly. Watch for aphids & black spot.

Heidi68 Level 8 May 10, 2020

I would suggest the smallest be a 12 gallon, and i say that without knowing the size you have pictured.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 36

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top