Agnostic.com
5 15

World's prettiest tree? A royal poinciana, not mine.

MizJ 8 May 30
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that one is as good as any I can remember seeing. But here are a couple other candidates.

This Rimu tree from New Zealand [photo1] I photographed in a garden near Fort Bragg. It was about 30' tall so still young. Eventually a Dacrydium cupressinum can live 8 - 900 years and reach a height of 300 feet.

I've always had a fondness for tree ferns and this one [photo2] at the Tropical Botanical garden near Hilu, Hawaii comes with a lot of surrounding fun tropical palm foliage.

Of the trees in my garden I'm probably most fond of the Giant Groundsel or Telanthophora grandifolia, a cloud forest daisy from Mexico. It only reaches about twenty feet and is not a hard wood tree at all, but rather quite literally a giant form of sunflower. [photo3] shows the foliage which can a couple feet long and nicely undulating as well as shiny. The flowers [photo4] can be larger than dinner plates and look like giant dandelion flowers.

MarkWD Level 7 May 31, 2020

1 is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to see that in person.
3 & 4 😍😍

@Heidi68 I actually found for sale at a nursery near where I took that photo but killed it. Oh well. Still amazing foliage. Here are a couple more of my photos from that day.

@MarkWD it is truly unique! Thanks for sharing

It’s very pretty. I’m sure the bees and butterflies love it!

Beautiful!
It looks similar to the Mimosa tree that grows here in NC so I had to go research. Yep - it says they are 'related'.

Heidi68 Level 8 May 31, 2020

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation!

Reminds me of my time in Bermuda, they are everywhere, the locals call them flame trees.

Surfpirate Level 9 May 31, 2020

Apologies for the orientation

MizJ Level 8 May 30, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 35

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top