Agnostic.com
2 5

When the spouse discovered she'd married a herb/veggie garderner, she thought if she bought hybred day lily I'd take care of them. She followed my lead: in the winter order off for the seed catalogs. When the day lily catalog, she gasps mightly. They wanted $20 to $40 a bulb.

Petunia looked at the catalogs and moaned. At those prices she'd never get a yard full of day lilies.

Imagine her delight when a local day lily farmer decided someone else should buy the farm. The farmer put an ad in the local paper "Day lilies: $2 a clump." A day lily reproduces by dividing its roots into clumps. Petunia could get five to ten day lily bulbs for $2. Off we went in to the outskirts of nearby town in upstate rural South Carolina with a pick up truck and a pair of shovels for TWO trips. She picked out the expensive groups of day lilies and started digging.

Sixteen years later, we could start a day lily farm if we had only kept track of the NAMES of these different types.

Guesses are welcome.

I may post MORE of these dam flowers I didn't want in the first place. I wanted heirloom tomatoes, famous for not surviving or getting eaten by birds and bugs, dying the first time I forget to water them and maybe Thai basil and other stuff I can't buy at the supermarket. In the meantime, she refuses to care for HER plants and ignores mine. I ought to get rid of these things.

WonderWartHog99 8 June 28
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those sure are fancy. I used to know someone through flickr who had a huge collection of these in England, not sure what county. I'll bet she could tell you what is what but alas I've lost touch with her.

MarkWD Level 7 June 28, 2020

I can understand. I have a garden full of orange day lilies, dating from the time when it was a large new garden, and I was in a hurry to fill it with things that were cheap and easy to multiply. In the last few years however I have started treating them as weeds. (Tip. Glysophate weedkiller kills slowly, a fading yellowing death, especially in autumn, so you can alway blame the death on a mystery illness.)

Recently an large area came free for planting by the village bowling green, which adjoins my plot. One of the bowlers said. "I will plant some flowers for you, save you a few pence." Which he did , and they were day lilies. "What colour are they ?" I said, hoping that he had given me some rare colour forms. "Oh they are orange."

So now I have to wait a couple of years before they can mysteriously die.

Fernapple Level 9 June 28, 2020

>I said, hoping that he had given me some rare colour forms. "Oh they are orange."

Those are the common WILD ditch weed day lilies. (Common in South Carolina). The exotic stuff are hybrids which can turn expensive. Some are loud, gaudy and painfully ugly. My favorite example is the Bela Lugosi day lily (pictured).

Recent Visitors 24

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top