Agnostic.com
10 2

Anyone have a sure fire way to repel squirrels? Other than burying pecan nuts from our Pecan tree and having Pecan seedlings spring up in the garden, squirrels heven't been a problem. But this year, they are digging up things I've planted. They have been particularly destructive to things I've planted in pots. I had some success placing a smaller pot or two along the edges of larger ones which have been the primary target of their digging, but they are still finding places to dig and even digging under some of the smaller pots. Short of poison which isn't an option because of my dogs, I not sure what to try. Any sugvestions would be appreciated.

RussRAB 8 Oct 11
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I use chicken wire instead of construction fabric. Also, available at sporting goods stores coyote urine is used out west to deter rodents from chewing vehicle wires. Then there is hot pepper powder & onion/garlic/allium concoctions that is applied routinely.

Mooolah Level 8 Oct 19, 2020

Build some frames to go around your seedlings until they are big enough to not be a problem.

Budgie Level 8 Oct 13, 2020

Big thing of cheapest chili powder from Costco or Job Lot, sprinkled liberally around everything you want to save...repeat after rain/watering.

AnneWimsey Level 9 Oct 12, 2020

Chili powder worked for me in my flower beds and pots. You do have to use a lot of it though, and like you said, reapply after rain.😉

I will try that. Thanks

I'm reminded of my neighbour 30+ years ago who had a lroblem with Australian lossums eating a climbing plant he wanted to cover the front of the house up over the first floor balcony. Having bee an electricity line supply worker onthe 40,000 volt lines most of his working life he ran two copper wires along the top side edges of the balcony rail. The wires were connected into a standard plug & plugged in. All went well til one morning he left his bed & walked onto the balcony stretching his arms ul andback whilst he admired the beautiful scene & sunshiny day. Reaching the railing he brought his arms forward & placed his palms onthe top rail to leanon it. Needess to say he never plugged the possjmdeterent again. (Note Australian electricity is supplied at 50hz 240 volts on minimum 10 amp supply lines.
Oh yes. Roy lived.

FrayedBear Level 9 Oct 12, 2020

I have no idea, but I truly considered keeling my dog tied by my pecan tree for the day and see if I solved two issues: squirrels and get her some exercise. 😂

Zoohome Level 8 Oct 12, 2020

FrostyJim from Wasilla Alaska uses a wire frame to prevent moose dining.

Mooolah Level 8 Oct 12, 2020

I do not kill wildlife that do what is normal for them. Humans enter nature seeking to dominate & control. Place construction fabric over your plantings. Flat or as a cubicle cage. Use your intelligence to out wit the reforesters of the world. Plant what squirrels will not see as food. Come on. Haven't we learned anything about killing as a solution? Move to a condo if you can not get along with nature. Killing wildlife that is only doing what is natural is disturbing. We move into their world, expect them to resist what is forage & resent them for their natural behavior. Adapt to them or become frustrated. Poison? Are you serious? =0{

Mooolah Level 8 Oct 12, 2020

A good pellet gun . I used to use a 22 cal rifle with subsonic ammo , but that was in the 60s you might get in trouble nowadays . Hang the dead squirrel where other squirrels will see it , and repeat they will get the message . I just let them be now , let the dogs and cat take care of it , live and let live

Besalbub Level 8 Oct 12, 2020

Cats ? Humm , first and only answer , but no double points .

Cast1es Level 9 Oct 12, 2020

Well, I'd have to have something to keep the cats around. Outside cats here roam the neighborhood (the few there are). The cat we have has been an indoor cat all her life and is now rather elderly.

Maybe u have blocked members that have posted before you?

Not really much you can do, they are rats with fuzzy tails that will destroy pretty much anything they get near,

glennlab Level 10 Oct 11, 2020

That's what I was afraid of. Some have been so brazen as to climb on the wall right outside the window. Tapping on the window didn't scare them away, nor did getting right next to the window. With the glass between us, we were about a foot apart and the darned thing didn't budge.

@RussRAB I have been trying to eliminate them for years, but with little to no success. I've trapped them, I tried irritants, they only slow them down,

@glennlab funny question here, but do you have some blocked members - or perhaps she has you blocked... another member think she was the first one writting but did not get double point. Lol

@Zoohome I have no one blocked, I have reached a level of nirvana where I can just ignore people and I don't need to respond just to disagree.

@glennlab hahaha! Isn't that the way to go?!
I only have one person blocked, that fanatic vegan/rat lady. Not sure if I have been blocked by others...

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 26

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,506Top