Agnostic.com
5 6

Milkweed pods in a habitat area in our backyard.
I should go out today and pick these.

bigpawbullets 9 Oct 18
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I let them grow wild in one section of the front flower garden.

Surfpirate Level 9 Oct 18, 2020

Great!
The Monarchs approve! 😎☕🦋🦋

@bigpawbullets That's why I do it. I leave a lot of wild flowers/weeds to grow because the bees need all the help they can get. Several of the farmers on the island have switched to Round Up Ready Soya Beans and the bee population has plummeted in the past few years.

By the time they get to Texas, they prefer Mexican milkweed, I've had it and several other varieties and they seemed to prefer the Mexican variety, I'm guessing that it is an instictual change sine the next generations will have mostly Mexican milkweed on their trip north initially,

@Surfpirate the angry face is for those using roundup.....

I just saw a few monarchs in my habitat, I discovered what has been happening to my frittillaries, the geckos are cleaning the vines nearly every night in the front yard. In the back the frits have taken to laying their eggs on the less desirable species of passion vine.

glennlab Level 10 Oct 18, 2020

I planted some common milkweed last spring and it didn't do well , it survived but no flowers . I still have seeds I'll try again next year . I also planted swamp milkweed which did better and spider milkweed never came up . Did you get any monarch butterflies .

Besalbub Level 8 Oct 18, 2020

yep we get more each year.

I have a lot of those around my home as well. They also make good medicine. I used to play with them as a kid... I would make the pods float by tossing them in the air.... I didn't know about the Monarch butterflies.. these milkweeds are disappearing fast!

AmmaRE007 Level 7 Oct 18, 2020

Considered weeds by most folk. We had to go to an arboretum and collect some pods from their wildlife fields to start them at our place.

Why? What are its uses?

The only place Monarch butterflies lay eggs and change into 'pillars-butterflies. We're on the migratory route.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 30

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top