Agnostic.com
6 9

December 4th is Saint Barbara's Day.

If you cut branches from your flowering bushes on St. Barbara's Day ( forsythias; weigelias, deutzias ) and bring them into the house in a vase with water, you will have flowering branches at Christmas. Can you tell, my mother was catholic? My middle name happens to be Barbara ( after my mother's mother), so we celebrated Namesake's Day in December. There is no saint's day for Antje, the heathen that I was destined to be. The religion never took for me, but I loved all the rituals, especially as they pertained to me.
So, try it, gardeners, clip some branches with buds on them and bring them inside.

Spinliesel 9 Nov 30
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting, I have two Deutzias (pinkaboo) and will try this trick.

JackPedigo Level 9 Nov 30, 2020

I've been to Santa Barbara...
I don't grow anything.

Your neighbors, maybe? Your local park?

I had a girlfriend who styled herself a "fantastic gardener". Her rhododendrons never bloomed. She was going around in the fall & removing "the ugly growths" on the ends of the branches, and, "what causes that"? I could Not convince her they were next years' flowers!!!!

AnneWimsey Level 9 Nov 30, 2020

Oh, dear, oh dear.

similar stories for crepe myrtles . A group of trees that should never be trimmed or pruned unless you cut it to the ground.

That is hysterical!! I've grown up around rhodies, and have my mother-in-law to thank for training me in the skill and importance of dead-heading.

Does that work when December frequently has 30-40°C temperatures?

FrayedBear Level 9 Nov 30, 2020

Special message for the Upside Down gardeners. NO.

@Spinliesel just can't trust these xtians & their propaganda!

@Spinliesel Who determined that we are upside down?

@FrayedBear From my old geography book back in the old Country. All you guys were upside down, even the sheep.

@Spinliesel White supremacist propaganda.

My neighbor came over one day to ask me why my forsythias bloomed every spring , but theirs never did . I pointed out to her that I pruned mine in the fall . Her man pruned theirs in the spring and was , therefore , pruning off all the buds .

Cast1es Level 9 Nov 30, 2020

The best rule of thumb for all flowering shrubs, to ensure you get flowers the following year is. 'Prune immediately after flowering.'

@Fernapple Especially important for lilacs.

I have forsythias in my yard, but I won't be bringing in cutting, that would be an invitation for cat demolition.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 29

Photos 5,322 More

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

Posted by 1patriotOne of the main reasons for last year’s ‘spike’, which the media and government agencies have avoided mentioning, is the Hunga Tonga volcano eruption two years ago.

Posted by FrostyJim...sometimes you just can't help it?

Posted by FrostyJimI got my first seed order in the mail yesterday! WOO-HOO!

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #kids #book #cats #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,505Top