Agnostic.com
4 8

Well, knock on wood, but it seems my little experiment with cuttings from rose bushes has worked reasonably well.
I "borrowed" cuttings from rose bushes around my area earlier this winter, planted them in pots with potting mix and the growing ends dipped into a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg powder and castor sugar .
Then I cut off the bases of either 1.5 or 2 litre plastic drink bottles, placed them tightly over the cuttings with the screw caps removed and left them in the a place where they were protected from most frosts but got the best of sunlight available.
24 cuttings in total, 18 successfully sprouting including 2 cuttings from a thornless Rose Bush as well.

Triphid 9 Aug 19
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

images?

Robecology Level 9 Aug 20, 2021

See today's reply posted for @JackPedigo below.

Congratulations. Those aren't bad odds, or at least, I would be happy with them. I'm planning on try to root some cutting this fall. I watch a Youtube a while ago and the guy claims to have great success.

RussRAB Level 8 Aug 19, 2021

Please post some pictures of the roses.

JackPedigo Level 9 Aug 19, 2021

I would but they area wee bit small at the moment, give them a good 12 months and I'll be planting them out into garden beds and then should see some flowers.

Just for you @JackPedigo, 7 of the total of 18 out of 24.
Though I only have kept 14 for my own gardens because I've given 4 others to friends for their gardens.

@Triphid Lots of seedlings. Can Roses be grafted.

@JackPedigo FYI, they ARE NOT seedling Roses by any shape, means or form, THEY ARE 100% Rose Cuttings collected and set to growing by my own hands.
As to grafting, the way ONLY to know is to try it for yourself.
BTW, Roses grown from seeds would NOT be even half that size by now since they ONLY begin to sprout above the ground, IF you are extremely lucky that is, in late Spring-Early Summer and it is still Winter here btw.

@Triphid I was curious so looked up grafting. I did this all the time with fruit trees and often got multiple types on one tree. The same be done for roses and you can get a bush with multiple colors. This bud grafting as opposed to the more common (at least with tree fruit) scion grafting.

Congrats and thanks for the info!

No probs, always only too glad to share any info I pick up when it comes to gardening in particular.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 18

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top