Agnostic.com
4 9

My confused Plum tree. Last Spring, I bought a couple plum trees, but because of everything that happened last Spring, and some large branches shading the back part of my yard I wanted to remove, I never got around to planting them. Consequently, they didn't survive in their small pots. I thought I kept the water enough, and I just don't know why they didn't make it. A few weeks back, I went to a favorite nursury to just look around, and they had the same variety plum trees I had bought in the Spring. They looked a bit sad, but I talked with the manager who had an "Expert Gardener" title, and his opinion was that they were fine, just overwatered a bit and nearing Fall. These tree were also discounted being the end of the season. I bought them, and made certain to get these in the ground hopefully with enough time go establish a few new roots before the cold weather arrived. Within the last week, I was encouraged to see some new leaf growth on the trees, hoping this indicated pending success. Today, I discovered that one tree has come into bloom with just a few flowers. Poor confused little tree. I doubt anything will come it, and hopefully, it will figure out that it needs to bloom when Spring arrives. Still, I am glad to see that it is flourishing enough to generate a few blossoms.

The picture is actually sideways. I attempted to correct it, but nothing I did changed the outcome. It also looks like I took the picture in the middle of the night, but it was dusk and the effect of the flash blacked out the background.

RussRAB 8 Oct 24
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not know what your climate is like, but if winter is cold, bury it/them with lots of straw and some kind of thick cover to help them make it through. My Italian grandfather grew figs in Michigan (unheard of!) by doing this.

KateOahu Level 8 Oct 25, 2021

Except for last February when a winter storm took down our state power grid, North Texas winters tend to be rather mild. We are zone 8A on the USDA Plant Hardiness Map. The legend say the lows for this zone are 10 degrees F, but except for years like this one, lows seen to be closer to 32 or above.

@RussRAB I would still protect them…at least for the first winter. Stone fruits thrive in cold climates; I know they grow in Michigan. But “first winter” should be a consideration, because roots are not deep yet, especially because you planted so late. Once they have deep roots, they will ‘hibernate” in winter and “spring” back after. If your ground never freezes, there will be no exposure after the first winter.

@MsKathleen - How deep should they be covered?

@RussRAB about 12 inches. Mulch and compacted straw around the width of the tree should be enough…as long as your ground does not freeze. You should probably mulch anyway, so in spring you can just clear away the straw. Talk to someone at your garden center about it.

It is a normal reaction, nothing should come of it since they should go dormant soon. If by chance it does set fruit, simply pinch it off, or you can pinch off the blossoms after they finish blooming, no since in wasting the tree's energy.

glennlab Level 10 Oct 24, 2021

Those are good suggestions. I hadn't thought of that. At the moment, I was just enjoying the flowers blooming at an odd time of year for a fruit tree.

When I moved into my first house, it had a stick in the ground. That stick grew quickly and in a few years, the plums grew so profusely, the branches looked like clusters of grapes with a few sad leaves sticking out between them. Plums rot into a messy glob, and I like a nice lawn, so it was all I could do to pick the plums off before they fell. I had to box them up and figure out who I could give them to. So I'd deliver box-fulls to all the control rooms at the facility. And they tasted just fabulous; tart and sweet; nirvana in your mouth.

And then there were those that ripened faster than my picking. The globs got shoveled up along with the dog poo, and put into the same bucket. That became a problem as the two melted together into a stinky mass, sometimes increased by rain. I had a hard time figuring out what to do with that. Heaven never seems to have hell very far away...

racocn8 Level 9 Oct 24, 2021

Plum forgot to plant them!!!!...(could'nt help myself!)

Well, there was plenty that happened last Spring to distract me, so I'm willing to forgive myself. 👼

(And, I enjoyed your comment)

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 26

Photos 5,322 More

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

Posted by 1patriotOne of the main reasons for last year’s ‘spike’, which the media and government agencies have avoided mentioning, is the Hunga Tonga volcano eruption two years ago.

Posted by FrostyJim...sometimes you just can't help it?

Posted by FrostyJimI got my first seed order in the mail yesterday! WOO-HOO!

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #kids #book #cats #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,505Top