Agnostic.com
5 8

While out on a walk this morning I came across this huge yuca. At least I think that what it is! 🤣 The huge flower stalk is amazing!!! We have been getting more rain here than usual, so I think that’s what helped it bloom.

Redheadedgammy 9 May 11
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

[en.wikipedia.org].
Mescal tequila is derived from the agave. They are pollinated by bats at night. No bats. No Mescal.

Mooolah Level 8 May 12, 2022

We have bats here. In fact I’ve seen several homes that have Bat houses on their property. That’s good for the bats and these wonderful plants!!

@Redheadedgammy I have them in my bat house as migrants. That is good to hear that others appreciate their necessity.

@Mooolah I have found people in this small northern California town are very concerned and like to help all animals. It is a huge change from living in Texas where most animals are not cared for or protected. I have seen bats out at night here several times since I moved here and was in absolute awe of seeing them. 😍

@Redheadedgammy When Bat Conservation was located in Milwaukee, I was a member. Then it moved to Austin in order to protect a colony in residence under a bridge. It has now become a major tourist attraction & education opportunity. The city was considering an eradication measure until the city was convinced to try and live with an important link in our ecosystem. We have made progress from the day when people I spoke with did not know what "ecology" meant. Take the joy of small victories to sustain us for the long haul.

@Mooolah I’m so glad they were talked out of killing the Bats off! Geeze Louise, why is that the knee jerk reaction from so many people???? I had to convince a neighbor in Texas not to kill Bee’s in his yard. I quickly found a Bee keeper and the guy came out within 2 hours and he removed all the Bees. We need these special animals and insects!!!!

@Redheadedgammy There is a new show on a channel called TLC (The Learning Channel). The BEE CZAR. Eccentric with family who rescues & relocates honey bees. There is little of learning anylonger on TLC other than this & Body Parts. Dr. Pimple Popper etc. The Bee Czar is entertaining & informative. There are 6 hives next door. Adjacent to my restored prairie. 25 years in the making. People thought it was an abandoned property when I began. The sound of humming from the wasps & various bees in the AM on the cherry blossoms, is good to meditate by. =0}

@Mooolah I will check that show out! I’m sure I will enjoy it! Thanks for the recommendation! 😉

Some usually die after flowering so enjoy it. The bloom might attract bats or moths at night, so get the infrared camera filter ready.

Mooolah Level 8 May 12, 2022

I hope this huge plant won’t die. I’ve never seen one the size of this plant!!

@Redheadedgammy It depends on particular type, how well it is cared for and general luck. I had one in my front yard that would bloom about every 3 years. Someone ran over it in the middle of the night and ended it.

@glennlab I just hate plant murdering drivers!! 😉

@glennlab So what do you do with a dead yucca?

@glennlab, @Redheadedgammy I ran over some algae last summer with my truck. Why I was in the water is a story I don't want to talk about.

@PondartIncbendog LOL come on, tell us what happened…. 😉

@PondartIncbendog bulk trash.

That's not a flower stalk! That's a tentacle! Stay back!!

It does look 👀 like a tentacle doesn’t it!!! 🤣

I understand the Indians would eat the Yucca roots similar to sweet potatoes .

Cast1es Level 9 May 11, 2022

I didn’t know that. Had no idea the roots were edible! 😉

That appears to be a century plant
[gardenia.net]

glennlab Level 10 May 11, 2022

That is gorgeous! So it’s not a yucca then? It’s really amazing to see up close. Can’t wait for it to bloom!!

You are correct, it is indeed a century plant.

@Redheadedgammy they are related, as is the joshua tree, part of the asparagus family they are both part of the subfamily agava
[britannica.com]

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 29

Photos 5,329 More

Posted by FernappleThe little woodland garden, is a symphony of blue, purple and white now. Hyacinth, Honesty, and Ornithogalum.

Posted by KateOahuThis morning I went to a class for making a terrarium with native plants at the Waikiki Community Center, which is about three blocks from where I live.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,512Top