Agnostic.com
5 18

Says it all.
I live in a multi-ethnic society, and I don't get on with anyone who intentionally uses our differences against each other.

Ryo1 8 Aug 27
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very well said

McPhail Level 4 Aug 29, 2022

You make very good points here.

freedom41 Level 9 Aug 29, 2022

Try saying that to any aggressive emotionally defective individual.

anglophone Level 8 Aug 27, 2022

In the UK? Nah, we have plenty of defective individuals but rarely aggressive and emotional, not in public at least.

That depends 100% on how the Equal Rights are implemented.

If it makes it easier for one group to sue another group, it does mean fewer rights for the other group that is more easily sued.

If it means quotas in hiring, promotions, university admissions, etc. it does mean fewer rights for the group that does not get the quotas to protect it.

It's all in the details.

The Inflation Reduction Act has a nice sound to it, but it did nothing to reduce inflation.

The Affordable Care Act has a nice sound to it, but it made healthcare more expensive.

BD66 Level 8 Aug 27, 2022

Sounds like you are talking about deprivation of equal rights which is against law, internationally, nationally/regionally and manucipally. It is different from one having more rights than another because law shouldn't allow that to happen, hence lawsuits.

@Ryo1 I have no time for BD66 for exactly the sorts of reasons that you describe.

@anglophone I have little knowledge about laws and regulations in the US, but yeah, his argument is a little too simplistic on this occasion. Actually, the whole human right stuff is very complicated.

@Ryo1 I find his argument to be uninformed about life in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, the United Kingdom, and Australia.

@Ryo1 Equal Rights in terms of opportunity is a great thing. Legislating and regulating equal outcomes is a bad thing, and cannot be done without severe discrimination against some races/genders/ethnicities/sexual orientations and severe discrimination in favor of other races/genders/ethnicities/sexual orientations

@BD66 Ah, so you were talking about equal outcomes.

It kind of does, though. If a company is willing to pay X dollars for employee benefits, and suddenly 10% more employees are allowed to claim benefits for their spouses and children, that very well could result in a reduction of benefits for them. More importantly the CEOs and shareholders don't want to pay out any money they don't have to, and luckily they have millions of idiot Republican voters that are always stupid enough to vote against their own interests and support the fascist Republican overlords.
Same goes for equal voting rights. If the will of the people was actually granted to all citizens equally, Republicans would have a much more difficult time winning elections and fucking people over.

Man, things seem so different over there in the US from Britain. Sounds like most things are regulated by private entities/individuals instead of by the state law.

I don't know if we are talking about the same employee benefits, but I heard terrible stories like a woman in America who had a C-sention had to return to work immediately after she was discharged from hospital becuase her boss didn't provide her with maternity leave; she couldn't afford to lose any time/money. Jeez, that should be a crime.

Meanwhile, in England, a friend of mine has been on 'paid sick leave' with stress.
You can get £99.35 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks. This entitlement is protected by law.

One unique thing I would mentione with regard to the voitng system in the UK is 'spolimg your ballot'.
The number of Blank Votes and Spoiled Ballots (by scribbling all over it for example) are read out at the count, along with the results and are also included in subsequent reports. That is, your apathy towards the political parties will be heard not just forgotten.

Another thing I would mention is that supreme court judges are appointed independently. Prime Minister is not allowed to nominate any candidate.

@Ryo1 I don't know how it works outside the US, I imagine it's much better because of the supreme assholes who are in charge that were bought by CEOs here, but I'm talking about any benefits that people can claim for spouses that would cost a company money. If gay people are allowed to get married and claim benefits for spouses it costs rich people money.

@ChestRockfield
'any benefits that people can claim for spouses that would cost a company money.'
That kind of benefits would come from the government in the UK. How systems work is so different in your country. Interesting.

@Ryo1 Businesses there don't pay any benefits whatsoever to employees?

@ChestRockfield
You were talking about benefits that people can claim for their spouses. Like Marriage Allowance which is provided by the UK government?

Here is how Marriage Allowance currently works:
Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,260 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner.
This reduces their tax by up to £252 in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year).

@ChestRockfield
Mandatory employee benefits in the UK include retirement, holiday pay, maternity/paternity pay (companies often exceed the statutory limit as part of a comprehensive benefits offer), and sick pay. Supplementary employee benefits in the UK include life assurance, income protection (long-term disability) GIP, critical illness insurance, private medical insurance, dental insurance, the health cash plan, employee assistance programs and virtual GP services, and employer-sponsored retirement. Employee perks include company cars, season-ticket loans, childcare vouchers, biking to work, gymnasiums, and workplace canteens.

@Ryo1 So there are benefits that would be paid by a company to people for their spouses?

@ChestRockfield Not sure what any of the benefits listed above has got to do with covering employees and their spouses. It's not an automatic thing. Incidentally, employers are allowed by the government to recplaim the benefits they provided for their employees, depending on the circumstances.
Anyway, it's nearly midnight over here, so over and out.

@Ryo1 Just trying to convey the level of greed of the CEOs in the US that they'd actively fight against equal rights for groups of people just to save some money.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 36

Photos 77,298 More

Posted by Ryo1

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThose are my pronouns too!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyEaster hack??

Posted by KilltheskyfairyStill Women’s History Month…

Posted by noworry28There's nothing Holy about any of the Torah, New Testament, or Quran.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyHappy Atheist Day to my fellow Atheists!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyYou can’t win!

Posted by noworry28This is so funny 😁

• Top tags#god #religion #religious #world #video #memes #friends #hope #Atheist #kids #reason #church #DonaldTrump #hell #cats #money #dogs #sex #Jesus #atheism #relationship #children #Bible #book #truth #Christian #beliefs #death #movies #parents #belief #evidence #animals #community #laws #agnostic #mother #wife #fear #humans #society #earth #faith #believer #religions #guns #Song #books #Christians #humor ...

Members 2,975Top

Moderators