Agnostic.com
6 10

So true.

You Don’t Just Lose Someone Once.
You don’t just lose someone once.
You lose them when you close your eyes at night.
And as you open them each morning.
You lose them throughout the day.
An unused coffee cup.
An empty chair.
A pair of boots no longer there.
You lose them as the sun sets.
And darkness closes in.
You lose them as you wonder why.
Staring at a star lit sky.
You lose them on the big days.
Anniversaries.
Birthdays.
Graduations.
Holidays.
Weddings.
And the regular days too.
You lose them in a song they used to sing.
The scent of their cologne.
A slice of their favorite pie.
You lose them in conversations you will never have.
And all the words unsaid.
You lose them in all the places they’ve been.
And all the places they longed to go.
You lose them in what could have been.
And all the dreams you shared.
You lose them as the seasons change.
The snow blows.
The flowers blossom.
The grass grows.
The leaves fall.
You lose them again and again.
Day after day.
Month after month.
Year after year.
You lose them as you pick up the broken pieces.
And begin your life anew.
You lose them when you realize.
This is your new reality.
They are never coming back.
No matter how much
You miss them or
Need them.
No matter how much you crave.
They are gone.
And you must go on.
Alone.
Time marches on, carrying them further and further way.
You lose them as your hair whitens and your body bends with age.
Your memory fades.
And the details begin to blur.
Their face stares back at you from a faded photograph.
Someone you used to know.
You think you might have loved them once.
A long time ago.
Back then.
When you were whole.
You don’t just lose someone once.
You lose them every day.
Over and over again.
For the rest of your life.

Betty 8 Apr 24
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It will be 4 years in June since I lost Richard. I focus on what was good and positive about our relationship and it has made this transition into singlehood a little easier for me. 😉

Time will tell.

Very true

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 24, 2022

Losing loved ones is part of life and we who are left with that loss owe it to our loved ones who’ve gone to try to be happy without them. The constant reminders of them which surround us can make us feel sad …but they can also fill us with joy and happiness in recalling pleasant memories too, if we let them.

I have said when you love someone you want what's best for them. If I had died before her I would have wanted her to go on with life and find another partner. She felt the same for me.
I might have mentioned here the I have had two previous, committed, long term relationships that ended badly. I once thought I could handle death better than what I had to go through. Little did I know I would have to question that idea and found it true. With the previous loss there was not only the person who exited my life but the love as well. With my last partner the person was gone but the feelings of love remained.

@JackPedigo I have first hand experience of losing both of my parents, my dear husband, and my elder son (at age 41). They were all great losses to me and still are …but they were all very different losses, and they left different feelings of reconciliation to their death and adjustment to life without them. The worst loss to deal with and to come to terms with was losing my son, it was on a different level of pain entirely, I think because it is not the expected order of things to survive a child. We all expect to lose our parents eventually, and we are even resigned that one day we may in some way have to face life without our loving spouse or partner, and I’m glad that I didn’t go first because I think I am better able to cope on my own than he would have been. Losing a healthy child whom you’ve raised well into adulthood is not something any of us are prepared for ever…so for that reason it’s the hardest bereavement of all.

@Marionville I have heard about the hardships caused by losing a child. I only have the one and she is in good health (but, as yo said good health may not be enough) so I hope I never have to face that scenario. Parvin had severe osteoporosis and was scared of facing life in a wheel chair (have I mentioned this). I think she was relieved she was going first. She was also relieved it was an easy death and she was able to take care of her effects. Seems she was more afraid of a wheelchair than death.

The emptiness never gets filled. 😟

Betty Level 8 Apr 24, 2022

I does get easier after a while.

My girlfriend, Sonia,has been g.j one four years now😟

pain eases but is never forrgotten. lost my wife seven years ago

TheDoubter Level 9 Apr 24, 2022
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 24

Photos 138 More

Posted by bookofmoronsIts been 10 years last week since I lost her. Hard to believe where that time went and yet it isn't either

Posted by RedheadedgammyToday four years ago today, at 4:15 in the morning my darling Richard passed away.

Posted by BettyEvery day. 😥

Posted by RoseyRoseToday is the anniversary of my husbands birth.

Posted by GeorgeRocheleauI know how they feel.

Posted by Sonja44All of it.

Posted by Sonja44My love would have been 61 years old today. 💔

Posted by AlchemyWow, I am grateful to find this group.

Posted by AlchemyWow, I am grateful to find this group.

Posted by Huskygirl4everToday would be our 27th anniversary it's the seventh one without you and it hurts this picture would be taken on June 12th the original date we had set for the wedding but we had to get married a ...

Posted by Huskygirl4everI remember when Norm gave this to me and the first time I ever read it I actually read my last name as Friedrich this is one of the things I will always cherish

Posted by AncientNight45 years ago, my Father told me, "Beware the Ides of March!" It was the day I got Married to my Girlfriend.

Posted by KymmacgOne of the biggest issues for me, now, even 18 years later, is the loss of life.

Posted by alonI had a nice Bacon/Cheese Omelette for my Sunday Breakfast this morning instead of my usual Eggs Benedict.

Posted by MsHolidayMemories.

Posted by MsHolidayI have chosen to place this here to let others know that we do move forward.

• Top tags#wife #friends #grief #death #cancer #video #hope #relationship #world #kids #memories #reason #widow #marriage #god #religion #weddings #children #Song #dogs #book #DonaldTrump #holiday #Christmas #parents #sleep #church #dream #religious #poetry #hospital #Friday #funeral #sex #lonely #hello #advice #coffee #dying #soul #humans #college #rain #dance #siblings #movies #faith #money #youtube #Present ...

Members 274Top

Moderators