Agnostic.com

15 7

I am new to this site, so I will have to learn how it goes. My wife died five months ago, and now I have more free time to go online to commune with fellow travelers. I don't have any like-minded people in my life. Well, there's my friend, Dave, who also thinks religion is bogus, but we don't really talk about it, and just about everyone else believes in some fashion or other. I am also a closet CD so I really have to put on a different face for the world. Anyway, I am into neuroscience and the Tao Te Ching--as much of it as I can understand--and existentialism and Stoicism and cognitive behavior therapy and artificial intelligence and just this whole business of what it is to be human. I think that the universe just is, and it is up to us rational human beings to use our reason to make the best of it and to help each other along the way. I hope to meet some of you in the coming weeks.

mikej75 6 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome to the site. I'm very sorry about your wife's recent death. I hope you find conversation here to be a worthy diversion.

Welcome! I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you like it here. It's a really fun group of people!

Duke Level 8 Dec 24, 2017

Hi Mike, I'm also pretty new to this site.I hope you are able to find some comfort here. I have, and I look forward to checking in every day.

Leah Level 5 Dec 24, 2017

Welcome, Mike. Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost a wife 5 years ago. I know every person is different, but I have some idea of what you're going through. I hope you can find a sense of belonging here.

Welcome. Glad to have you among us. Post your ideas as you see them for discussion or comment. You're free to agree or disagree.

SamL Level 7 Dec 24, 2017

Welcome...I am so glad I found this space...learning lots everyday.
Sorry for your loss.

Welcome to the community.

Hello and welcome!I'm so sorry for your loss, especially over the holidays. Even for non theists, this time of year can be rough, so I hope you are especially kind to yourself this week.

I too study neuroscience (but more as a interest than a profession) meditation and yoga, but I haven't read the Tao yet, thanks for the suggestion. I look forward to a lot of thought provoking ideas and I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.

Welcome

My condolences and hopefully you can find many wonderful people here to converse with. Welcome!

Welcome, Mike! You should find plenty in common with this group. Feel free to chat away!

So sorry about your wife. You will find others here who walk the widow road. It's been 11 for me.

Zster Level 8 Dec 24, 2017

Welcome to our little corner of cyberspace! We're glad to have you here with us.

I am sorry for your loss.

I was really startled at first because I was wearing the wrong glasses and thought you said your wife died five minutes ago. Fixed now.

There seem to be plenty of things to talk about in this group: I've only been here about ten days and have found plenty to comment on, and posted some things myself. I don't know much about any of the topics you mention, but may learn as time goes by. Welcome!

Welcome to the community! Hope you enjoy your stay!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.