Agnostic.com

27 8

Do you believe in luck?

Do you believe that some people are just lucky and others are not?

• 22 votes
  • 29 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 2 votes
SonderOpia 8 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Luck, is nothing more than random chance that can be interpreted as luck. Good or bad luck, it is still just random chance in one direction or the other. In some cases it is possible to make your own luck. But that is just seeing and acting on what is random chance. I don't believe there is really good or bad luck. Just convergence of random possibilities in ones favor.

Yeah

Shit happens. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, sometimes you can do something about it, most of the time you can't. I don't believe there's any guiding force, just random chance. Not sure I'd really say I "believe" in luck; it's just a shorthand way of saying we can't control everything in life

Good point.

I don't believe in luck, but in reality i don't know. There is more to our universe than we can even imagine, that i do know. LOL

I do believe in Carl Jung's concept of synchronicity however, which holds that events are "meaningful coincidences" if they occur with no causal relationship yet seem to be meaningfully related." That's how I explain surprizing events or outcomes not knowing what outside influences contributed to them. My view has to do with the fact that I also believe in the butterfly affect, so what seems like luck is in reality, something which was set in motion unknowingly to us.

Third, i agree with Branch Rickey's quote that "Luck is the residue of design." I interpreted his words to mean that preparation is all, so when a door opens unexpectedly, we are ready to walk through if that's what we want. Some call that luck.

In fact I've been called lucky most of my life. And it started 50 years ago when, over 3 or 4 years, i cheated death at least 4 times. Was that luck? It could have been, but I don't know, and it doesn't matter, actually, because here i am still thriving. LOL

Glad you're still with us.

Thanks @SonderOpia, you are kind. I'm also glad, very much; its been a great life, with more to go. LOL

@josephr. Much more I hope.

@SonderOpia I wish you the same, and thank you. In one of my favourite Britcons, As Time Goes By, a gardener called Jean (Judi Dench) a
"Tender Woman." I suspect that is also how you are. It is a wonderful way to be. Cheers.

But..... Does it count if "luck be a lady tonight"?

Only if you get lucky with her. LOL

@SonderOpia Isn't that a giv..... nvm

@WhatsInAName hahaha

I voted that some are lucky, but I do not believe in luck as such. Fortunate may be a better word for me?

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Luck cannot be influenced as it's really just random chance.

True.

I don't think there is any way to apportion even what is luck but its a nice word to have when someone gets something they want or need - I think the problem for me is that everything has its other side and the idea of lucky brings up the idea of being unlucky which could put you on a downer; it would be an interesting experiment to decide to take those words away and see what you get - I rather think that people who see themselves as lucky are the kind of people who would be happy anyway.

Good point.

I'm with you. It's a no from me. No good, or back luck.

Glad you agree with me.

I don't believe there's a thing called luck however it does seem that some people have better chances in life than others.

Random occurences that appear that way, in a world of chaos. On another note...why do I get the feeling this comment was the first one on this post😉

@LetzGetReal Yes

Luck isn't an attribute, it's an observation. In matters of luck past success is no guarantee of future performance. Yet successful people will often assume that their success had very little to do with luck.

Mostly I believe in chance. Avoid high risk, prepare to compete, preparation reduces risk.

Tomas Level 7 June 9, 2018

Good idea.

Blind ass luck triumphs over skill and knowledge every time. This was on the wall behind the desk of a Major l served with in the Army.

You're lucky I'm not answering..seriously!

I know I am
LOL

Yes I do. but I have the opposite. It could be raining tits, and I'd get hit on the head with a dick!

WTF? Hahaha

@ the GreatShadow If only I had that kind of luck...

@Charlene Too bad you don't live near me. I read your profile. I could hook you up with a trans woman in a matter of minutes.

@TheGreatShadow not looking for a hookup dude..

@Charlene she is looking for a mate, but is 19.

@TheGreatShadow no thanks 19 is much too young..

@Charlene Well, I tried. She is desperate for a life mate. And yes she does still have the male part between her legs.

@TheGreatShadow she'll find someone..

@Charlene Hope she does, but around here, it is very frowned upon. I don't know of anyone else that is into that lifestyle anywhere close to here. You have to keep in mind she lives in a small village of a couple hundred people. She works in a town of a little over 4,000 people. She'd have to move to a metropolitian area where she could find someone. Keep in mind we live in Nebraska, which is mostly Right Wing nuts!

@TheGreatShadow ahhh..it's Not a "lifestyle" choice...it's her Truth..moving is probably her best choice..the Kkkristians will drive her to harm herself...she was brave enough to accept herself..I hope she's brave enough to leave..

@Charlene I did not mean to make that post offensive. This is a topic I have little idea about. If you want, you can send me a message, and I can send you a link to her FB. I don't want most people to hurt themselves. You know a lot more than I do, maybe you can help her?

@TheGreatShadow tell her to google GLADD in Nebraska..they have more support contacts than I do..I am dealing with my brothers end of life, so I honestly don't have enough energy to help others..

@Charlene Sorry about your brother. 😟

@TheGreatShadow thank you...it's not easy, but I didn't expect it to be..

You make your own luck through wisdom patients and education. Learning from you mistake helps as well.

I'm screwed
LOL

@SonderOpia Buy a scratch off lottery ticket look at it closely is the ink just slightly blurred did it rip off of the roll properly so if you notice the smallest imperfection the printer that printer that ticket is imperfect and the paper gets distorted ever so slightly when the winning tickets are printed not every tick that is imperfect is a winner however a great many that are imperfect are winners. So there I just help you improve your luck.

The classic saying in military aviation circles:
"Better to be lucky than good."
A few times, I was very lucky. So yep. Luck is out there.

The fates are fickle. We have good luck and bad luck randomly.

Chose #4 but will still say, "Luck is belief." There will always be what's really happening and what you believe is happening.

coincidence
a high occurrence of positive results can be attributed to a persons knowledge, practice or skill or it is just how random chance can have clusters of similar results

A person can view different phenomena that happen in their lives and use the words lucky/unlucky to explain them. I do not 'believe', that is appropriate. As it focuses on some external meaning or source. It is often said that we make our own luck. However, regardless of the circumstances (or the weather, as I am in Ireland) I now try and get up each morning and tell myself "I am lucky to see this morning" 🙂

JB4now Level 5 June 12, 2018

I like it. Maybe I should try that each morning.

I think luck is a perspective. (Chose NO by the way)
Like positive or negative.
You create your own luck by deciding whether you feel lucky or not.
You create your own positive or negative by deciding what perspective you have on events.
People who have a positive outlook tend to feel lucky and possibly enjoy life more. That's all.

Maybe so.

I absolutely believe in "luck." Sometimes things just happen... nobody knows why. It's not a 'spiritual' thing, it's just a life thing. It was luck that got us to this point in our evolution. All kinds of crazy luck.

If luck was a trait people had, it would be subject to natural selection. The lucky ones would all get selected until everyone had the same luck trait. That would make having the luck trait pointless.

Good point.

It's been said that luck is chance taken personally and each throw of the dice is independent of the last. I agree.

I like that.

Yes.

Coldo Level 8 June 9, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:102247
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.