Agnostic.com

19 2

Do you like rituals, routines, and traditions?

Some people like the rituals and traditions of having religion. As a non-believer, do you find yourself also drawn to such things? (Even things non-spiritual in nature, but a routine, tradition, or other sort of ritual?).

silvereyes 8 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't consider myself spiritual by any means, but I have always been drawn to crystals. For example I'll carry a rose quartz in my pocket because it keeps me happy.

My daughter got me a crystal neckklace and a box of crystals. She likes New Age symbolism and wicca .

i need routines to keep everything going. Recently I had to make some changes to my routine, it is not necessarily going well... They're not rituals, and there is nothing spiritual about it, just needing to be on autopilot so life runs more smoothly.

I hate routines, I do have one ritual though,; I put one sock on after the other and the only real traditions around here involve the cattle dogs; biscuits are served when everyone comes back in for the morning run and after chores.

LikeJewish foods.-My mother called me a belly Jew. I never got my grandmother's recipes for meat knishes and she never made potato, kreplach stuffed w/meat (similar to soft wontons),. I managed to master chopped liver and potato latkes. Liked getting presents for eight nights for Chanukah-my parents wouldn't do x-mas.

MyMother' claims the sweet recipe tasted likemy grandmas-30 years ago she died but I remember the tastes. I make fried matzoh. What is brei?

I've never heard that expression, @Sassygirl3869, and I love it! I'll have to share it with some of my belly Jew friends.

I don't mind it if other people get something out of it, some sort of feeling of community or structure or whatever, but it's nothing that tickles my taint.

of course. On thanksgiving I invite a whole mess of people over, mostly immigrants, and spend the morning cooking, drinking, and listening to bluegrass. Do this every year 🙂

If something is useful to me, I keep it. So I have some rituals and traditions such as doing the same thing before going to bed to promote healthy sleep. That sorta thing.

I like to think my 'goat sacrifices' as more of a past time than a 'ritual'...hehe....but, I have to maintain someone else who has to have routine...so it becomes my routine...that's about as close as I get...

I’m a math teacher. Routines are part of the game.

As a Cuban American one tradition I have is on Christmas Eve, we call it Noche Bouna. For those of you who don't know we Latins (yes other Latinos celebrate this as well) get together and celebrate, eat (primarily lechon or roast pig), drink, and have a good time.

Yes. This season it's Yule! Lots of tradition to enjoy.)0(

No not really I mean I've bend my morals whatever like everyday and I got to break free from the tradition just get tiresome so no I don't want the same old routine

Not generally. I have always been a bit of an iconoclast.

haha no

I didn't grow up having to go to church at all.

I've been to churches as an adult for one reason or another, weddings mostly.

A few years ago I attended the funeral for a friends mother, it was a Catholic ceremony.
I honestly have never seen anything so weird and goofy in my life.
First, there was a lot of organ music. Then some singing.

Then the main show began. This dude in elaborate robes and a funny hat came out and read out of a bible.
If I remember correctly he splashed some water around too.
Then he got out this big smokey thing on a chain and swung it all around while he mumbled stuff.

Suddenly as if on cue, everyone stood up and started shaking hands saying "peace be with you" and the other replied, "and with you".
Someone stuck their hand out to me and said his line, but I was taken aback and shook it without reply.

Then there was more singing and it was time to leave. On the way out everyone was dipping their hands in this big water fountain and wiping it on their foreheads.

@silvereyes
As far as I was concerned it was no different than the rituals of people around the world who the Catholics would refer to as savages.

I have a ritual. Hang my keys on the hook as soon as I get home, so I don't lose them.

Me, three, otherwise it's anyone's guess as to where they end up.

@Lauren: It's not like I would ever "think to look in the crisper." Thank god I decided to make a sandwich in the midst of my search.
In my defense, though, I had a couple of drinks that night.

A good defense, @Benthoven! I wish I'd thought of it when I left mine in the door last week.

No... it's all a show....we would still be going to Catholic church if it wasn't for their rule of no communion unless you get an annulment... which is good now....We don't go at all...

no, and I'm quite spontaneous

Yes! That's why I'm an Atheopagan. We honor the natural world, celebrate 8 holidays around the year (the solstices, equinoxes and the points between), have rituals and observances that help to bring meaning, color, and celebration into life, all while maintaining a strictly scientific/naturalistic worldview.

More at atheopaganism.wordpress.com

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.