Agnostic.com

38 7

Do You know Your Ancestry?

I was wondering how many of us know about our Ancestry.
Whats in your family line? Have you ever tried a DNA service to discover what your ancestry consist of such as Ancestry.com or 23 and me?

I pose this question because as Americans, we often forget that America is less than 300 years old, consisting of immigrants from all over the world.

I was fortunate to know my Ancestry Thanks to my parents.

My Mom was born in South India (hindu) and she is a mixture of Indian and Kenyan.

My Dad was born in Morocco (muslim) and he is a mixture of Arabic and Canadian.

I consider myself lucky because i have been to Morocco and visit my fathers birth place, and i have also visit my moms birth place in south india.

Please Share with me what your Ancestry consist of....

twshield 8 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My Scottish ancestors were responsible for taking the heart of Robert the Bruce to his homeland after he died in battle.

My 23andMe results:

European 65.8 %
British & Irish 14.8
French & German 14.2
Iberian 9.7
Eastern European 1.9
Scandinavian 0.5
Ashkenazi Jewish 0.4
The remaining is divided into broader categories that are harder to determine.

Sub Saharan African 27.8%
West African 23.1
The remaining is divided into broader categories as well.

East Asian & North American 4%
Puerto Rico 3.7
They've only recently been able to narrow this down. When I first got the results, it essentially gave me all of North America, Central America and South America. I was pretty sure it came from my dad. He's never talked much about his ancestors or even immediate family. So it was kind of nice to open up that conversation.

All of my ancestors came from French Canada, so I am mostly Northern European. I had red hair, so there were probably some bloody Vikings involved at some point.

I did the 23andMe test recently because my father was adopted and it is a blank for me on his side of the family. My mother's side goes back to 1753 in Canada, English, Irish and French but surprisingly not native blood which is pretty common in the older Canadian families. I had always assumed that there was some Northern Cree in the bloodline because of the strong native features in my family; jet black, straight hair, dark eyes, dark skin and there walk like a bear gait that is typically associated with native peoples. Turns out it's not so, not a drop of native DNA in me. Interesting to check these things out and I still see myself as a full blood Canadian Canadian after 9 generations here. In a nation of immigrants everyone identifies as a type of Canadian - French Canadian, Italian Canadian, German Canadian, Indian Canadian, Chinese Canadian etc. etc. but I have always identified as a Canadian Canadian, something that other Canadians don't always understand because of their own immigrant backgrounds.

I'm a Brit, but my mother used to tell me I have Native American ancestry (Cree tribe). Not sure how true that is as she learnt it from my natural father who was a bit of a twerp by her account. Would be interested to find out through DNA testing, but I have a cynical mistrust of the companies who offer that service. If I could go to a university, see the results and cross-reference them myself, then I'd be happy — otherwise I'm a little suspicious that they're akin to those PPI claim companies.

Haven't done the DNA thing, but but have documentation. Primarily English, with some Irish, Scot, German, and Slavic. Many of my European ancestors arrived in America in the 17th century. Direct descendent of two presidents and related to a third. There was an insertion of some Blackfoot into the family tree around 1850.

d_day Level 7 June 11, 2018

79% West African, 16% European and the rest is East Asian & Natve American.

I'm so thankful to my friend to gift this to me. Obviously, I know I'm black, but to know the specifics is pretty cool.

I think mostly west Africans umm migrated to the usa.

"Migrated"? What's so wrong with saying the truth? LOL, if only it was that pleasant. I'm adopted so I never had confirmation that I descended from slaves.

My father was an illegitimate son of a German pilot to my English mother, conceived before and born after, the beginning of WWI. He was named Otto Jack. You can imagine the problems he had around WWII and after. He joined the medical corps so as not to compromise his parentage

Well alrighty... my mom and dad from Texas. Grandparents from Louisiana. It seems like I'm part English and part Irish and American Indian. Me and my brother are lite skin. Both sisters have darker skin. You talk about a Heinze 57...lol.

Never did the DNA thing, but my mum did. Turns out she is a mix of Mesopotamian far back and more recent genetic content was Viking. Mum was very into geneology through documentation, and my family have been Londoners since the 1600s! Proper South Londoner and I love it. I have left the UK because I don’t really like our fucked up Tory government (very like GOP) but London is just the best city in the world imo. closely followed by Shanghai. It’s a vibe thing.

Livia Level 6 June 11, 2018

@twshield 100% agree

Mostly northern European with German being the largest part with some Danish, English and Hollander thrown in the mix. We have people migrating to America in 1720. Dad liked to tell me that 5 of the 7 first ministers in the US are relatives. Yeah!

I know my ancestry, and as time goes on, I care less about where ancestors came from, as I own more of my humanity and basic connection to others through common human experience

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.