Agnostic.com

12 3

LINK The Tipping Point When Minority Views Take Over - The Atlantic

Decades of work in sociology, physics, and other disciplines have supported this idea. Small groups of people can indeed flip firmly established social conventions, as long as they reach a certain critical mass. When that happens, what was once acceptable can quickly become unacceptable, and vice versa. Two decades ago, most Americans opposed gay marriage, bans on public smoking, and the legalization of marijuana; now, these issues all enjoy majority support.

zblaze 7 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I support people marrying the person they want.

I don't want addicts giving me cancer in the workplace.

And Mary Jane is cool.

Unfortunately, minorities have also taken over the Presidency, our morals as evidenced by governmental laws and rulings regarding race, abortion, GBLTQ rights, voting, and religion. Some places are now rising up and taking the initiative for fair play and winning, as Armenia has just shown. Maybe our side favoring fair play and honest, open government is starting to come back.

Yes...I've been a bit concerned about this very issue. We have to carefully VET those we elect to get us out of this mess.

"This isn’t necessarily an uplifting message, Centola stresses. “It’s really important to be aware of how easily populations can be co-opted by people with an agenda,” he says. Russian-linked Facebook accounts bought a significant number of ads that targeted U.S. voters during the 2016 presidential election. The voter-profiling company Cambridge Analytica [co-founded by Stephen Bannon] used information from millions of people on Facebook to create psychographic profiles, and then used those to target ads supporting Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign and the Brexit “Leave” campaign. The Chinese government has been seeding groups of activists into online communities to subtly shift discussions towards national pride, and to distract from collective grievances. (“We’re now looking at times in which these activists became more active to see if they reached this 25 percent threshold,” Centola says.)

“There are already a number of people out there who are gaming group dynamics in careful ways,” says Damien Williams, a philosopher at Virginia Tech University who studies the ethical implications of technology. “If they know what target numbers they have to hit, it’s easy to see how they could take this information and create a sentiment-manipulation factory.”

“It’s a little disquieting,” Williams adds. “It would very likely yield an environment in which we have to be a lot more careful about who’s moving us and how.”

"Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

Social media makes this kind of "sentiment manipulation" depressingly easy and formulaic. It explains a LOT about how voter sentiment was targeted and changed last election, where a state by state effort produces outsized results when paired with an archaic electoral college model. This is scary, but at least someone is trying to understand how it works.

zeuser Level 9 June 10, 2018

25% is the key number for resistance movements.

Technically this called a paradigm shift. An in balance occurs in a system or ideology. As the inbalance causes more and more tension within its followers, the usual answers are no longer satisfactory. You begin to search for alternative answers that significantly differ from what you are used to. Eventually the tension and stress reaches an unsta in able point, and the old ideology is discarded for a new one. Paradigm shift. This process is true in all the natural sciences and the study is called Complex Systems Theory ( or popularly, Chaos Theory). A fascinating field of study.

t1nick Level 8 June 10, 2018

The organized minority has great power if they choose to defy the majority.

Yes with lobbying, economic power from powerful philanthropists , and neoliberal supporters in the media makes the difference

What seems to me to be happening today is...ALL norms seem to be challenged at the same time! It is a lot of brain work, trying to think through all the changes coming down the pike! Just giving up for the sake of struggle...seems completely contrary to my nature! And, yet I want to do the sensible thing.

It happens in conjunction with a generation or a generation and a half passing.

Just the title sounds like more Atlantic right wing propaganda.

Hmm...I’ve never heard The Atlantic called right wing. It’s just the opposite IMO.

@CrazyQuilter Do YOU like what the Republican Party has turned into?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103890
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.