Agnostic.com

101 4

Suicide: a cowardly move? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

101 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Without a doubt, it's cowardly. It's the easy way out. Instead of investigating ones self, changing ones situation so that they are no longer depressed, sad, unhappy, unfulfilled (fill in any other reason someone would commit suicide), they take the easy way out and, in turn, hurt everyone in their life who loved them. Instead of being a coward, they should spend every waking moment figuring out what's wrong, fix it and move forward. I get that some people are on depression meds and all that, but depression can be beaten -- IT JUST TAKES WORK. And to anyone that says otherwise, they're just mad that they've not been able to put in that work (or they know others who haven't put in that work), so they justify with this thing or that. No excuses. Do the work to make the change that will make you happy, or take the easy way out.

Wow, depression is a complicated disease and needs much more research. To say just do the work is equal to ssying suck it up and get over it. This is a dangerous point of view

You are sadly mistaken. Sure, healing takes work. But suicide is not the easy way out. There is no easy way out.

This is written as if you've never experienced real depression. To say that it can be just worked through makes about as much sense as saying someone with a broken leg can just 'work it through.' Depression is a result of an imbalance in chemicals in the brain. Medications can help in a large number of cases -- but not all.

@Cherie44 Terminal illness is acceptable.

"Chemical imbalance" is nothing more than a fancy modern term for "let us sell you more meds that you can get addicted too." When I was young, that was called "suck it up buttercup." Change who you are. Change your surroundings, your decisions and your life and you'll be OK. Too many people turn to the "medical community (aka - big pharma)" instead of looking within and just fixing themselves. Self-loathing is pathetic.

I experience 2 things. One is depressive realism. Just looking and actually acknowledging how fucked up the systems and realities that we normalize are. The other is chemical. I can do the things I normally enjoy, and I essentially don't get or process dopamine or any natural reward chemicals. Getting a hobby, or otherwise changing your behaviour or environment isn't going to fix that when your brain is incapable of responding to it.

@Clauddvon did you know that depression, etc, is a ‘real’ brain disorder? Causes vary, but it is in the brain.

@Freedompath did you know that this diagnosis didn't exist prior to the year 2000 and even then it's only a theory? I believe in and subscribe in the melancholia theory myself - cognitive, not mental....aka stemming from irrational "should" and "musts" leading to inappropriate self-blame, self-pity, or other-pity in times of adversity.

@Clauddvon there are now diagnosis, Nothing is 100%, but even inexact science has theories. If you want, there is much research now on the brain and you can see for yourself what discoveries have been made! Only of late, were brains donated for research. Science can show us a lot more, than speculation.

@Clauddvon in my 25-30 odd years of therapy, my depression never came down to something, as simply as you state. That goes back further than 2000.

False. If you’ve ever dealt with crippling depression you wouldn’t ask this question.

I'm pretty sure everyone gets to ask the question, one of the reasons this site exists. And someone who might be contemplating suicide certainly gets to ask the question

I don’t know that ... depression is so frightening, threatening, and to become submerged in it I well know to those who have or will experience then you have others still spewing “ pull you self up “ as of it were so simple, so easy. I think you’re right as you have had to of been there for most to understand...... so can never!!!

@lerlo I apologize but it’s very frustrating to hear someone even elude to it as being cowardly. I was suicidal for many months during the worst of my depression. In my mind, I would have been helping others by killing myself. They wouldn’t have to deal with me anymore. I felt unworthy of love, friendship, etc. I’m eternally grateful I eventually got help and my mind is healthy now. But I remember well that feeling that it would be best for others if I wasn’t around.

@Marcie1974
Thank you for sharing. Back in the 90s my dearest and most loved sister swallowed a sandwich bag of pills. Fortunately, they were able to save her. I love her dearly! Just because someone is loved doesn't mean there isn't a terrible sadness inside.

@Holysocks I’m so glad your sister was saved, I assume she received and is still getting help?

And you are correct about feeling alone and sad even with people around you that love you. It’s devastating

@Marcie1974 you're a strong person for having overcome all of that. I commend you and you have my deepest regard. It's for all the reasons you speak of that I would hope you would try to counsel the people here that think that depression gives you a ticket out of life. For some, depression is treatable and while I stand by my belief that we all get to leave whenever we want, it shouldn't be a forced decision by something that might be turned around. Most decisions made under duress usually aren't good ones.

@lerlo I am proof that there is hope for those that are going through depression and would certainly counsel them on not succumbing to the disease.

It is my understanding that the post is simply asking if it is cowardly. Not that she was necessarily contemplating it. If that is the case, I would certainly reach out.

@Marcie1974 You're right, I was mainly concerned with the replies that seem to imply that depressed people have no option. But, you never know what the motive for the original question was.

@lerlo many times depressed people feel there is no option, fortunately there is plenty of help if one has the courage to seek it out and accept it.

Coward. I don't advocate suicide, unless you have a debilitating condition. Two people have tried to kill me. I'm stronger than death...

@Josephine "survive suicide"? Look at what you just wrote...

I'd say no ,it's actually intelligent . If someone is terminal or even has chronic depression , euthanasia just may be a logical choice

I totally agree

@Kojaksmom I don’t not with depression but yes to a terminal disease with no cure and intractable pain

One of my key triggers for suicide would be a diagnosis of a long drawn out terminal illness, in such a case self euthanizing would be kinder to others than having them suffer for months with me.

@LenHazell53 I agree,

Hi EmeraldJewel, good post! My response will probably seem to echo the previous ones regarding the aversion I feel toward the idea that a Suicide victim gets the label of “coward” based on his or her last impression on society (at their life’s most miserable point) but even though it seems rather obvious to most people in possession of the capacity to feel sympathy that Suicide is a tragedy for which grief should be felt for the deceased and loved ones of him/her, I still think it’s a very important question to ask bc a lot of people find comfort in classifying the miseries of others as melodramatic, selfish, or an over-reaction rather than acknowledge that these people are suffering beyond what they can bear, and to a degree that those who callously dismiss them as cowards most likely couldn’t begin to imagine. I ultimately have come to look at Suicide not as a sign of weakness due to someone’s lack of gratitude for the good things they have in life or foolish impulsivity, but simply as devastatingly tragic evidence that someone has been pushed to the absolute limit of what they can bear, and then across it. We all have breaking points, and none of us are “above” the risk of suicide or stronger than those who do fall prey to it

And my apologies for the characteristically wordy nature of my responses, but this is a topic that hits quite close to home with me on several levels. After losing a good friend who functioned in my life as a role model due to not only the success he found and the outrageously positive impact he made on the lives of anyone around him, but also bc he struggled with very similar psychiatric problems to my own (to the extent we even took many of the same meds) I had a very difficult time processing all why’s and what if’s surrounding the event and how if I could have been there more for him things might have turned out differently; but ultimately I’ve realized that while his death was heart wrenching to hear about and accept the reality of, it would be a massive lapse in character and gratitude for his being part of my life for as long as he was to resent or disparage him for ultimately yielding to the insurmountable pressures to stop pressing on with life, against which I’m sure he fought tooth and nail until he got worn down. But I remember him fondly for the way that he lived every day of his life, not the sad circumstances that it concluded with.

@Storybook thanks for that!

No, not cowardly, but sad and desperate. The sign of alienation and a harsh world to me.

It depends on the circumstances - if a doctor told me I had a terminal illness, I would thank her/him and check out on my own terms.

@Palindromeman me too, once the pain got bad. I hope to solve my own issues when the time comes, I was looking more along the lines of depression causing the suicide, mates of mine when I was younger, in recent years children of friends and friends of my own kids, It's hard whe it is poeple you know and they are young and healthy.

@Rugglesby Copy that, my friend. I had a friend in high school who checked out. His name was Damien. I still think of him when the subject comes up. And that's 32 years ago. These things do resonate.

False. No one asked to be here and they should get to leave whenever they want. There is no "test."
It does however really screw up the people close to them so they should consider not whether it's cowardly but whether it might hurtful to loved ones and friends, if they even care. All that being said, you only get one chance to be here and people can make miraculous recoveries and comebacks and many have overcome horrible odds and come out the other side.

lerlo Level 8 June 12, 2018

Indeed. But it can also solve every problem that you have. "Screw the rest of the world, I'm outta here." That has some level of appeal to many people.

Not cowardly, but foolish and stupid. Would be the words i usually use. There always a way to fix whatever problems one might have..

Fix my terminal cancer.

Fix the problem like Ucranians in Holodomor who ate deceased human bodies in order to live.

Here is how I see this question.
Is divorcing a forced marriage a cowardly move or not?
A lot of forced marriages do not end up in divorce because not always the relationship is bad.
People used to marry this way for thousands of years. Having a right to divorce is a very important right because in a lot of cases forced marriages are bad.
Same thing is with life nobody gave consent to be born into this life. Some may have a really bad life with lots of suffering in that case of course is important to have the ability to choose to die in dignity. It is sad that nowdays someone has to travel as far as Switzerland to have the right to divorce life.

I couldn't agree more!

False.

I wrote my suicide note last year. No one tells you how hard it is - what do you say? I mean, it's your final statement, right? So you want it to be completely on message.

I then spent a comfortable hour in a hot bath with my weapon of choice - a box cutter - until I decided it was not for me. Not at that time, anyway.

And I burned that fucking note to ashes.

No, I don't judge anyone who voluntarily checks out.

I sincerely hope you are feeling better about yourself and life in general now. Hugs

@Marcie1974 Thank you. As always, life is a work in progress - for everyone, including me. You can never know how another person is feeling. They are their own barometer.

I don't think people who are suicidal need to be judged. Suicide happens when the pain is so bad you cannot imagine a way out. It is mental illness. Until you have been there you will never understand, and I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

Very good point, good observations

It might be selfish... might be selfish with good reasoning (terminally ill). It might be a few other things but I wouldn't think it to be cowardly.

Agreed! I’ve heard so many people say this week that it’s a cowardly move, considering Anthony Bourdain’s recent situation. I think it’s so insensitive when I hear people say they feel no sympathy for suicide victims.

Agreed. I feel sadness for him. At the end of the, suicide is a personal choice. I have no doubts many suicides are the result of mental illness but some are a healthy choice. If pain, of any kind, in your life renders you unhappy and unable to enjoy a quality life. Then think it's an option. However, this life and the connections we make is all we'll ever have and it is ephemeral; not to be taken lightly. Tough topic. I always feel sympathy for those reaching the end of there life no matter the reason.

I know there'll be lot's of disagreement on this one but I say false. My daughter suicided at the age of 20 almost five years ago. Will never get over it but at the same time I think she thought she was doing the right thing:-/

❤️

It's always hardest on those left behind. For my daughter's sake I could never do it without good reason, and first explaining "why" to her.

It'll always be thought to be selfish by people who have never really been to the edge before.

Yes your right... if you have never been there then it difficult to contribute but I think all of us have our private thoughts

And can be thought of as selfish by those who have too.
I was diagnosed as bi-polar at the age of 11, I have struggled with suicidal tendencies from the age of 14 on a daily basis.
I faced my "demons" years ago and decided, should I ever actually kill myself, It will be organised before hand, so as to be certain of success, with all post-mortem arrangements made first, so as not to burden anyone.
I would never put my family and friends through a bogus and abortive attempt at suicide as that would be cowardly, selfish and attention seeking behaviour of the lowest order.
Having made those decisions, taken responsibility for my own life and death, I cope with my conditions and keep them in check. It is a matter of respect for others and for oneself.

Neither brave nor cowardly. It seems to me to be an act of desperation. Trying to shame as cowards people who contemplate suicide will have no effect.

EdEarl Level 8 June 12, 2018

No two suicides are the same. It is not black and white, but layers upon layers.

Exactly.

Suicide is irresponsible. The ones left behind have the hardest job.

True true. But once you have reached that point, you do not care.

i wonder how many killed themselves thinking they were going to heaven....

Probably the majority

I can't help but think it's selfish. My mom had bowel cancer and tried everything to stay alive. A friend's 17 year old had a brain tumour and passed away 4 months after being diagnosed. His parents fought so hard!! People committing suicide have their whole life ahead of them and they decide to end it...

Ryksie Level 6 June 12, 2018

Depression is chronic pain. Anyone who's lived with chronic pain eventually reaches a point where they're "done" and just can't deal with the destruction of their quality of life any longer.

The other people who "fought so hard" are the selfish ones because they're telling their loved one to endure a life of misery just so they don't have to be sad

When someone is depressed they are at risk for suicide, and it is not a matter of cowardice, it is a matter of your brain going to a really dark place where you don't - literally - see the light at the end of the tunnel. In those cases it is not a matter about being a "coward" about facing life, it's about this intense sense of "hopelessness" brought on by their depression. If you've never felt it, then it's hard to understand what that is like and how that can cause someone to take his/her life. It's tragic because those who manage to do it, I suspect, they where trying not so much to end their lives, but to end that hopelessness in their lives. Many come to think that ending their lives is the only way to end the hopelessness inside. It is extremely hard to reason properly and maintain perspective when in a deep depression. That I know. That is why depression is dangerous and must be treated head on.

Then there are those who want "medical" suicide due to some terminal illness, and they just want to die with dignity. Neither case needs "judgment." What is needed is a greater understanding of the phenomena in either case.

I think a better question would be 'Is it selfish of people to blame a person who commits suicide for their loss of that person?' The person who suicides is simply no longer alive but the sense of pain and loss that some people feel as a result of that person no longer being there can be great but it is their choice too on how to deal with that.
I've lost people in this life and it has often been a painful experience, especially when I was younger and didn't know how to deal with it. Blaming the person who opts to end their life by suicide is essentially blaming the victim, at least in my opinion.

Yes!

Suicide is escaping pain.

Is someone who takes pain killers to numb the pain of a toothache a coward?

It is cowardly however, to judge those who've chosen suicide.

Sometimes true; sometimes false.

I'd say mostly false for most people. For those few gor whom it might be true, I don't think they really think the consequences of their actions trhrough.

I have mixed feelings on this, but I'd have to say the answer is situational. When I look at these people doing mass shootings, who then kill themselves (either by their hand, or suicide by cop) my first instinct is that yes, they are cowards, not only inflicting their fear and self hatred on others in the worst kind of way, but cowards who cannot face the fallout of their own actions.

Then, there is the other side of that coin. A month after my father died (I was 19), another man I knew - who had been like a father to me - took his life. His act was not out of fear, or cowardice. His was in pain, agony and desperation, when he could literally see no other way to stop the pain he felt both physically and emotionally. In his case, he got all his affairs in order, made sure his family was taken care of; he even made sure that the place he did the deed would be easily cleaned up, so as to not cause anyone to have to remodel or repaint the apartment he was living in. He even called the police and told them where they could find him, so no one would have to stumble upon the scene by accident.

I think back on what that man did, to keep others safe from his pain. How every day, with each step he took that brought him closer to the moment he took his own life... how brave he was to keep going. He was simply in too much pain to understand that no matter what steps he took to protect the rest of us, that we would all be hurt terribly by his absence.

Twenty-six years later, and I still find this hard to write. I still come close to breaking down into a sobbing puddle, wishing I could have found a way to help. But, I know that the best I could have done would have been to simply delay it.

But I will never see that man as a coward; he was one of the finest people I've ever known in my life. He just got lost in a dark tangle of despair, and couldn't see that there were other doors.

DerekD Level 7 June 12, 2018

The mass shooters have a ‘fragmented,’ personality/brain disorder...which would be treatable. Problem is, it is hard to diagnose. And apparently the person in that state of mind, has come to accept it as ‘the norm,’ for him. Even a mission, so to speak! It is still a brain disorder.

We do what we have to do when we have to do it - Its our own life as it will be our own death. I can't admit the word cowardly - I really don t like that word its as if we have t aspire to some false sense of how to be a person.

jacpod Level 8 June 12, 2018

Absolutely in agreement here!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:105104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.