Agnostic.com

54 8

Do you like being outside?

DianeFitzRobin 4 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of what ???

out of doors, not inside of building or other structures

@DianeFitzRobin
So my answer is " Yes "

I grew up outside in Central PA, but today, living as I do in SW FL, it depends on the time of year. (Though I am out for a couple of hours most days for an early morning bike ride.)

Jeshuey, that's a dramatic change, good for you for experiencing this. Another bikerider on this site too! Keep up your morning rides!

Absolutely ! That's where most of my favorite creatures are ...

there's so many creatures I haven't seen yet outdoors

@DianeFitzRobin here in Florida, especially where I am, not a day goes by without good sightings ! One of the main reasons I moved here. Last night , I watched a family of foxes cavorting in the grass - sweet !

@evergreen I see foxes everywhere

@DianeFitzRobin "everywhere !?" No hearing bells, or seeing jeezus in a graham cracker though - right ? <grin>

@evergreen ha! ok, to be specific, 3 dens in 2 days

Of what?

outside of being indoors which has artificial light and typically stale air

Yes! unfortunately, we only get about 10 minutes/year of decent weather.

yikes, 10 minutes sounds like far northern Canada, Secretguy

Yes, especially in autumn.

Autumn is my favourite, such wonderful colours in the Canadian province I grew up in. Where I am now is nice too SpikeTalon

Absolutely, especially hiking. Skied for many many years and hope to be able to get back to it this year.

Ooooo, I ski too! Many years ago for alpine and 2 years ago for nordic. I hope to hear that you go back skiiing Miamagoo-you'll do great!

yes

btroje Level 9 June 13, 2018

me too, btroje, me too

Yes! I only did a 40 minute bike ride today.

Wow! 40 min is really good gsiamne! keep it up!

It's something that is necessary, once I am there. I've grown used to it.

DZhukovin, I'm happy to read "It's something that is necessary" I once had a future sister-in-law(brother's exfiance) that had that phobia of "going out". I felt compassion for her

@DianeFitzRobin

You missed some details, read the post and read my comment again.

@DZhukovin you're right, I did. I chose to reply to my subjective interpretation. Thanks!

Outside of what?

outside of civilized and ordered living, such as stepping over the threshold of a doorway into raw weather

@DianeFitzRobin it all depends on the motivation. Sure love smell of fresh air and sun beams on my face. As a former sailor.... put me in the middle of the ocean.... no land on sight just water, clouds, sky and scent of salt in the sea. Outside to me is no land coordinates.

@GipsyOfNewSpain a sailor! wow!

24/7 if I could, some days it is close to that, love sleeping on the beach.

I once hung out for over 6 hours watching the Atlantic Ocean tide but haven't slept on the beach yet, Rugglesby, but I will

I have been outside most of my life, that's why I went into construction management instead of lab work as a microbiologist.

just finished my first construction apprenticeship-very cool you're in mgmt Surfpirate-good skillset

@DianeFitzRobin Actually I'm a retired master builder who did a lot of construction management on hotel projects before I retired and built my own custom home by myself. I haven't finished it yet but it's not like I have a crew of 100 guys anymore.

@Surfpirate good job; excellent design choice, I haven't built a hotel yet, looking forward to the opportunity. My hall says Ontario construction is busy again. * when you finish your house please post a pic, we both know that incredible feeling of accomplishment and pride, you'll enjoy it

@DianeFitzRobin Designed it myself based on several structures my wife and I liked while traveling in Argentina and Chile. This is house number 353 for me, possibly my last one but you never know, I still think I may have one more hotel left in me, that would take the total up to 8 hotels.

@Surfpirate sweet! don't forget to contact Local 771-Regina, Sk Union Ironworkers to safely erect your next hotel iron before deadline and under-budget! (shameless plug for my union brothers/sisters and I....tell your colleagues!)

@DianeFitzRobin I've worked with union and non-union workers, doesn't matter to me because I'm a 4th generation Canadian builder. If you're on my crew then you are my people and I will defend you like a mother grizzly bear, doesn't matter to me.

@Surfpirate yes!!! bigbear Surfpirate

@DianeFitzRobin Although a momma bear has been known to eat her own cubs if they endanger her other cubs. I've had to fire a few menaces to the crew over the years, a danger to themselves and others. Engineers and architects are obviously fair game if they mess with my people. 😉

@Surfpirate ha! I catch your meaning. Both those occupations have their merit. I'm certainly respectful of their experience and education.

They can be quirky/eccentric; eager and honest.
I watched a video with Daniel Libeskind about his R.O.M. project and I've never heard more honest words....."building is a discovery process"
(translated=the bluecollar builders will problem solve, lol)
As for engineers, you got to love them. Almost all want the practical applied skills we practice day in, day out. It's a wonder they don't also complete a building trades' apprenticeship.
In fact, a union brother I put up an office building in Saskatoon with is also completing his Structural Engineering university degree. I applaud him.

@DianeFitzRobin I've long said that an architect should be required to complete 2 years in the trades before he can practice as an architect, it would save everyone a lot of time, money and headaches. No more 'to be determined on site' notes in the blueprints, which is just code for I could draw it but have no idea how to build it, sure hope the construction manager can figure it out.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depending on location and season. I'm good with inside also. I'm quite adaptable, and always have been.

Balanced living Sticks48-adaptability is essential

@DianeFitzRobin In my life, it has been an important asset for sure.

@Sticks48 adaptability is an asset-good to think of it that way-there's so many times I move for work-I have this valuable asset

@DianeFitzRobin l have lived in 13 different towns or cities since high school, one of them twice and one three times. I know what you mean. ☺

@Sticks48 I can't even remember what the reason was that we moved so much. But now I love it. I "move" several times a year now because of my occupation. *I've got the moving stuff down to 1 truckload now, lol

@DianeFitzRobin For years my belongings fit into about a dozen boxes not including my drums. It is a skill. ?

@Sticks48 true, now if only to cull the doubles and triples I had bought before I got this good. Making my decisions to donate based on quality of the item or how often I used it. Thought about selling on kijiji or learning ebay selling but I don't like playing the haggling game and it disappoints the buyers, lol.

@DianeFitzRobin That does seem like a hassle. Good luck with your liquidation. ?

@Sticks48 thanks, got zero done today for the time I indulged weeping over my late father. Ah well, he's stardust now (he passed 2015)

@DianeFitzRobin I sympathize with those feelings. My father passed in 1980. Today my sister posted a picture of our father on FB and l wept. Even after all these years it still hurts. I am truly sorry for your loss.

@Sticks48 and I, yours Sticks48. Someone just told me she lost her Dad in '81 and it still hurts as well.

@DianeFitzRobin Thank you. ?

Yes, but... I don't like bugs or sun burns. Also, not a big fan of cold.

scurry Level 9 June 13, 2018

same scurry

As often as

Yes, at least once a day gettinthere

@DianeFitzRobin ..i can..was the rest of the sentiment. The outdoors, nature...it is life.

The Sun vitamin D...

Etre Level 7 June 13, 2018

So important, my vision improves being in lots of light too Etre, I can see more?

Only if there are very few people around. Preferably none.

I like both extremes-completely solitary and multitudes of people, JeezumsCripes

@DianeFitzRobin Interesting. Do you feel multitudes offer you some kind of anonymity, or do you like being among a lot of people?

@JeezumsCripes a little bit of a) and a little more of b)

I do too, bigpawbullets

Definitely! Unless I'm having a bad allergy day or I'm in the middle of polluted city.

for a brief time I had allergies and it was challenging to go outside Astrojas. I grew up in a polluted city but thankfully went on hikes regularly through old-growth Carolinian forests

Outside is my favorite place! I could be perfectly content in the wilderness, returning to civilization occasionally for supplies.

awwww, Untamedshrew, that is possible, nice scenario

Oh definitely.

That's great Mikeb56, nice fish in your profile pic

@DianeFitzRobin thank you ?

@DianeFitzRobin oh btw I caught that true red outside ?

@Mikeb56 ha, but inside the ocean, correct

I love being outside. Spend almost all of my free time in the woods, either hunting, fishing, or hiking. It's the only place for me!

Sounds ideal to do those activities all the time solitude1457! I will fish this weekend

Nope. I like my apartment, books, podcasts, coffee and my cat. I only really do outdoors if I am traveling abroad, and you are climbing to see a view or temple and then it’s a must do! Camping/fishing/hunting is my idea of hell.

Livia Level 6 June 13, 2018

thanks for your honesty Livia!

@DianeFitzRobin Lol ?, when I have done internet dating and the guys profile says they love camping, I know there will be compatibility issues.

@Livia good observation, I tried that 6 years ago and found the opposite, kinda. They'll say they love camping but complain mercilessly on a short, found-in-the-city hiking trail, lol. We know who will be compatible!

Not particularly. I'm hypersensitivity to heat so can't do anything active when it's over about 80. I also have super pale skin which fries in about ten minutes. So I would much rather be indoors most of the time.

I see why you prefer this ladyprof70

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106407
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.