Agnostic.com

20 1

is there any countries that are not so religious as usa ?

usa is very christain based . are there any countries that are not so chriatain based or religious based in general that you are aware of ? or every country we go to religions are pressured ? jw !

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the us is by far the most religious industrialised nation, most European countries are far more secular

I believe I could make a strong case for saying that if you discount actual theocracies, the USA is the most "in your face" religious country in the world, with more religiously instigated and biased laws that any other country and has more institutionalised prejudice against the non religious than any other non theocratic country in the world. (I live in the UK, which is a partial theocracy, since by law bishops sit in the upper house as a matter of religious privilege, and even we don't have as much religious fanaticism as the US.)

Japan, Canada, Western Europe

About the only countries as religious as the USA are predominantly Muslim.

In answer to your question: YES!

Does it make the us a christian nation because there's a lot of christians living here?

There's also a lot of assholes living here, does that make it an asshole nation?

Well you know, not just wanting to be rude. Take a look at the last generation or so of foreign policy.

I'm thinking maybe yeah....

"I'm an asshole, and I'm proud of it!" D. Leary

This reads like a drunk post, lol. I'm sure you've discovered some majority secular countries by now. Just google Secular Countries.

People post here while sober?

[washingtonpost.com]

The cultural revolution in china killed a lot of people who would not deny their faith, that's going to have a lasting impact?

@Cameron Perhaps we could have a discussion about The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution sometime. I was a Maoist back in the day and if one understands that period of time in China it can be seen in a different light.

How dars youz??? I'll hav Uno I am as Jober as a Sludge!!!

Most countries are not as religious as the US. I would love to be able to move to a country where I’m not looked at like I’m crazy just for saying there is no god; luckily I have quite a few to choose from.

Come to Australia, the minimum wage is close to $20 an hour and no one gives a flying fark what you believe in as long as you do not do it in the streets and frighten the horses.

Half a million for a decent house, but you can't blame god for that.

I have definitely thought about moving to Australia. When I was young I had some neighbors that were from Australia, they moved back in the early 2000s and I’ve kept in touch with them over the years. They have said that if I decide to come visit or even move there that I am more than welcome to stay with them so it’s a for sure possibility!

Lots.

I look at the US from Britain and I am ASTONISHED how absurdly religious America is.

In the US you have no chance whatever of being elected to high office if you are not 'a person of faith' - in Britain if you started spouting about your relugion that would STOP you being electable.

Here in Australia we're a long way behind Norway, with about 29% professing 'No Religion'. But at least the religious people here are not much 'in your face'. In the 40 or so years I've lived here, I've only had to fend off one bloke who pestered me about whether I was 'saved' or not. So my impression is — definitely not as bad as the USA.

And even then we tend toward the Apathists. That group of Christians who don't much care and get on with their lives. I have noticed a disturbing trend toward evangelical faiths, particularly the "God wants you to be rich" ones, over the last twenty years. That correlates with the imposition of neoliberal voodoo economics. It would be interesting to explore the possibility of causation.

Do you know Thomas Jefferson wrote John Adams and told him that he predicted that America would be Atheist by 1870?

another Fumbling Fathers Fucked Up.

Japan

Tejas Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

The Japanese just like any excuse for a good party, without having to believe in any of it. I'm all for that.

Canada

New Zealand perhaps.

[patheos.com]

Gener Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

The US isn't Christian based, there are just a lot of Christians living here.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a country that was as rabidly religious as the US unless you went to the Middle East. There are many there.

@macrobius Puritanical crap in schools?

It's still illegal for public schools to teach religious crap. Yes, I know some ignore the laws and try to insert their delusional beliefs, but there's usually a parent or teacher who alerts the American Atheists, the FFRF, or the ACLU who then proceed with legal action.
Many times just the threat of legal action ends it right there.

Where did I mention Pilgrims and Indians?

Countries like Sweden, Denmark, Estonia are deemed to be less religious.

Just about anywhere. As compared with the bible belt.

id say where I live in the UK its a lot better

Me too Rule Britannia!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10658
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.