Agnostic.com

47 5

How close are you to your Ex?

My Ex Husband and I remain best friends and hang out often. Would this bother you if you met someone who was best friends with their Ex? Why, or why not?

• 25 votes
  • 52 votes
  • 36 votes
  • 23 votes
Ellenruth 4 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My ex husband and I have not spoken to each other in nine years. I think it would be really weird to date someone who is best friends with their ex. I would be very uncomfortable.

It is strictly up to the person as to whether or not they want to remain friends with their ex. In my case, that would have been stupid, as it would have been asking for continuation of a nightmare. She has a right to a life of her own and I want NO part of it.

It is not true in my case of 3 divorces! But, I truely believe that people can be respectful and friendly as ex’s.

I’ve never been married so I don’t have that type of ex, just a few x- girlfriends. But my parents divorced when I was 8 and I got to experience the way they dealt with being each other’s exes. Well, I experienced it mostly on my mother’s end since I lived with her. She did not like my dad at all, well, she still doesn’t like him, and let me know constantly. It took a very, very long time before I realized the man was merely human and made mistakes just like everyone. This isn’t really a thing that children should ever experience, but if you can’t be friends or friendly with an ex, at least be civil. It’s admirable that you can remain such good friends with an ex.

I still not certain how I feel about my dad, but that has more to do with what he’s done lately.

It depends. Are their interactions dysfunctional?

Actually my response is not one of the options. I would be far more apt to respect my romantic interest if they were able to be friends with their ex and if they were BFF's then we would invite them (plus 1) to go on double dates or camping with us and I would trust that relationship was platonic. I prefer kindness and honesty over all else. It also shows me that if we do not last forever as partners I will not have to necessarily lose our friendship so I actually prefer them to be friends especially if they have children together.

In my thought process of you are staying that close to your ex, in some matter of speaking, you may still want to be with that person. It would be different if there was a necessity for the communication such as shared children, but to be hanging out with your ex all of the time seems a little off putting.

I would suspect they weren't done fucking.

@Bignate901 agreed

My ex-husband and I cooperated well in co-parenting our daughter. We put her needs first.

This is the adult thing to do.

I've remained friends with every woman I've slept with. The only thing which would cause me to break things off with an ex completely is abuse or other criminal behavior, and I've never been with a woman who is prone to that type of behavior.

I still talk to my ex-gf. I enjoy hanging with her, but our reglious views are so different that we couldn't make a relationship work out.

My ex (still married actually, after twenty years apart) lives about 100 meters away. A very, very 'mixed blessing'.

StJohn Level 6 June 14, 2018

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

My ex- and I are best friends. We separated and divorced because we realized we made better best friends, than spouses. Our separation was amicable and friendly. I tall with her on the phone at least once a week. She lives about 4 driving hours away and I travel up to visit 2 or 3 times a year.

t1nick Level 8 June 14, 2018

My previous two ex's helped me out during some recent medical issues. They are part of my life. I don't have so many close friends that I want to throw these out.

It totally depends on the individual ex. I have one, who had to get drunk, in order to discuss how he felt about anything...we no longer communicate. I have others who I hope I will always be in touch with, as they have morphed into feeling like members of my extended family. I will always wish them well and want to know how their lives are going. That being said, I no longer live near any of them, so these are easy, long-distance relationships.

LB67 Level 7 June 14, 2018

My ex husband and I are friends, and though we talk on average once every couple of weeks we are not super close. I haven’t had a serious relationship since my divorce, so I haven’t tested those waters completely yet.

PenLOP Level 7 June 14, 2018

I couldn't say. Typically my exes leave, stay in touch for a month or two, then vanish.

Depends on why they got divorced, kids involved, extended families involvement with one another

After all, she’s dead.

I think that worked for Edgar Allen Poe

@btroje
It appears to work for me too.

I have no qualms with someone being friends with an ex, unless that ex was abusive. My ex was abusive. I have 0 desire to have him in my life.

My ex and I are still close. We have separate lives now, but when we meet we chat and laugh. The pressure of sustaining a failing marriage is now removed, and 16 months on now we are still very good friends - we would do anything for each other. We just can't be together. After a 27 year relationship, that is hard. But at least we have retained the friendship that we started out with.

The first ex ,the one I have kids with, and I get along great. I view her as one of my closest friends. I also like her husband. The second one I haven't spoken too in 3 years.

I like the old adage - a second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.

Insecurity is unattractive.

@Stacey48 Absolutely!

You have to take into account your significant other. Having your ex in your life is not good for them. What happens when your ex moves on and cuts the relationship off with you? There seems to be too many variables that lead to no happy endings.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:107136
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.