Agnostic.com

30 5

Am I living a total lie`

So I'm a Scoutmaster for the boy scouts, and go to church every Sunday.... but i don't believe in a God, I feel most religious people are a little week and looking for something to blame on reality besides reality, I act like i believe and go to church with my mom because it makes her happy and i have to act like i believe in order to be involved with scouting, one of the requirements is to believe in a God. Am i doing a favor to myself and others to pretend while quietly not believing so i can still be around the people i care about and participate in the organization i love or not?

bmtruett 3 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No big deal. They are the ones living a lie. Everyone is welcomed in the Church at whatever level of belief. The one thing I like about the Church is the community. Be in the community and throw in an odd ball question once in awhile, let them peek into what is not Christian. If asked, don't lie... say the truth, I don't believe Jesus is the son of God. They can't judge you, because part of it is that they are not that firm on their beliefs. I would continue to do it, if it comforts my mother.

if you are helping people and don't mind the church bit and help your mum I can't see the problem. I love my dogs but there are things that fall out of them in the garden I don't like but its well worth it.

Are you willing to live with the consequences of your actions? If you tell your Mama what is that going to do to her? If you continue living a lie what is that going to do to you? Mama might be OK with it because she loves you, but then again... If you have to give up scouting what will it do to you? If you continue to lead the scouts while not believing what will that do to you? If you come out what will that do to your position in the community? Tough position, good luck with figuring it out.

Be true to thine own self. If not the stress of living the lie will wear you down. Your friends and family will love you no matter.

If telling your mother would make her feel bad, I would just enjoy the time that you spend with her since no one is getting hurt. I pretended to believe in god for my mom. She passed away this year.

As long as you are happy with yourself. You know the facts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10834
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.