Agnostic.com

21 2

Parenting

Is it really wrong to tell your child he/she can be anything in life..?

cuteberry890 4 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. I wish someone told me I could be anything and I could do anything in life. Instead I was always belittled and was told I couldn't do something. I think it is important to raise your kids to have confidence in themselves.

I never told my daughter what she should strive to become in terms of a career. However, I ensured that when she spent time with me we visited all the children's theatres in London and there were frequent visits to the science museum and natural history museum and much much more..

there is an important message in the documentary "Searching for SugarMan". Him being poor told his daughters just because you are poor does not means your soul is not rich. Every child should be told they can aspire to their dreams. Parenting is nurturing the right and realistic dreams on them.

I'm a realist. Encouragement and reading to them and taking time to help them with problems and leading by example and treating them like they are a wee bit older than they really are. I would never tell my kid that he can do anything, anymore than I would tell him/her that she can't.

gearl Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

I don't think that's wrong unless you're answering a toddler who says they want to be a Koala or an Otter or something. As long as you also understand that, as a parent, you have to help them understand the scope of whatever adventure they want to embark upon.

If you've got a 14 year old narcoleptic that wants to be a bus driver, it would be prudent to encourage a different vocational choice... or at least explain that they'll need to find a cure for narcolepsy first and then learn to drive a bus.

Duke Level 8 Dec 27, 2017

To tell a child they have every option is well meaning, and generally a positive thing.
But, I also think we should measure advice by its objectivity, and its probable end results (if followed).

Advice should always be age and, or ability appropriate.
It would be unwise and unkind to tell a severly physically handicaped that they could be an olympic class runner.

But that child could enjoy their passion for running in other ways and create a meaningful life around their passions... we are all differently abled and a curious mind is a wonderful thing.
E.g. -It is not really necessary to tell a small child that they probably will not be a professional basketball player ...

Not at all.

As long as you're being realistic and tell them what they're going to be up against. Some people carry that advice their whole life and apply it to the wrong things.

Cwen Level 4 Dec 27, 2017

No, kids have dreams. They can do anything and just because we may not be able to do it, or we may not have reached our dreams, nothing is to say that they can’t. Elon musk is a prime example of becoming the impossible

If I could do my parenting over...I doubt that I would say that to any of my children. I would ask, what kind of work would you choose, when you are grown up? And, I would be on the look out for their natural talents! And once that was revealed, I would help them understand what it takes to prepare themselves for that occupation. 'Being anything,' has an unending connotation to it. No one has that many talents that could be developed! And, if you were conditioned by that idea, you might never nail down your life's work! Your choices would be endless! It might only be a psychic thing, but wouldn't that be a hendrence?

You make me feel like a stupid kid, thank you for your measured, brilient answer. You made me feel younger...you, are a gem!

@RichardBreed that was a touching responce...thank you!

There is a difference between creating outrageously impossible expectations and being supportive and encouraging them to dream and be the best they can.

The more I think about this... even if I wanted to say you shouldn't tell a child they can be anything, the more I realize it's okay to tell them that.

I mean, the kid from the public pool who kept screaming at his mom to watch him jump in grew up to be the president.

Duke Level 8 Dec 28, 2017

@cuteberry890 I would encourage them to get a better hairstyle first. (Says the guy with the 70's hair.)

@cuteberry890 I am well! Keeping myself busy at work today. Then, I'm off for the next couple of days. Happy New Year!

Your answers are always informative, measured and honest. Thank you

@RichardBreed Thanks!

it's true, to a point

Even if it may not necessarily be true ,I think it is ok in certain circumstances because it gives a child the incentive to attempt to follow his dreams

Whoever thinks that shouldn't be a parent.

SamL Level 7 Dec 27, 2017

so disagree

@markdevenish Please, feel free to elaborate on why you disagree.

No...n you know that.????
...your son, is going to save the world!
Twice! ... I'll help him, gotta love teamwork!
Chard

No...n you know that.????
...your son, is going to save the world!
Twice! ... I'll help him, gotta love teamwork!
Chard

Definitely not. Also important to nurture that and to let them grow self-belief in themselves.

The most fun i've ever had!!!

I don't think so. I think you should be realistic so as not to get their hopes up about unlikely things but within reason and with enough determination I believe you have a pretty good shot at living your dream. But I have always cautioned that sometimes you need to settle into something else while working towards that goal.

@cuteberry890 A couple examples of things that have come up with my kids:

Wants to be a homicide detective. Realize that this will require school and everyone starts at the bottom (beat cop) and needs to work their way up.

Wants to be in entertainment (music/acting). It will require practice and dedication and realize that there are many people with this dream but only a small portion of those will truly make a successful career out of it. While you're aspiring for this, you will need to have an income from something which may be at a job you hate.

Wants to eventually live in California. Realize that it's not cheap to live there and they have wild fires and earthquakes. Unless you're at a high paying job, you'll likely be in a small studio apartment with you and three friends crammed in it struggling to pay the bills. I did like her answer to this one: Who cares? I'll be living in California!

I think I told my kids they could be anything they wanted to be within reason. With a 66 inch dad and 65 inch mom they were not likely to be tall. But if they were motivated to do the work they could learn to do almost any job.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10990
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.