Agnostic.com

45 6

Are you the same person you used to be? Is personality static or changing?

Psychology talks about the Big Five personality traits. OCEAN (openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism).

Many psychologists believe there are 5 dimensions to personality (though they have recently proposed a 6th for honesty/humility).

Do you think any of these traits have changed in you over your lifetime? Do you think they are static or fluid?

Honesty-Humility: Persons with very high scores on the Honesty-Humility scale avoid manipulating others for personal gain, feel little temptation to break rules, are uninterested in lavish wealth and luxuries, and feel no special entitlement to elevated social status. Conversely, persons with very low scores on this scale will flatter others to get what they want, are inclined to break rules for personal profit, are motivated by material gain, and feel a strong sense of self-importance.

Emotionality: Persons with very high scores on the Emotionality scale experience fear of physical dangers, experience anxiety in response to life's stresses, feel a need for emotional support from others, and feel empathy and sentimental attachments with others. Conversely, persons with very low scores on this scale are not deterred by the prospect of physical harm, feel little worry even in stressful situations, have little need to share their concerns with others, and feel emotionally detached from others.

eXtraversion: Persons with very high scores on the Extraversion scale feel positively about themselves, feel confident when leading or addressing groups of people, enjoy social gatherings and interactions, and experience positive feelings of enthusiasm and energy. Conversely, persons with very low scores on this scale consider themselves unpopular, feel awkward when they are the center of social attention, are indifferent to social activities, and feel less lively and optimistic than others do.

Agreeableness (versus Anger): Persons with very high scores on the Agreeableness scale forgive the wrongs that they suffered, are lenient in judging others, are willing to compromise and cooperate with others, and can easily control their temper. Conversely, persons with very low scores on this scale hold grudges against those who have harmed them, are rather critical of others' shortcomings, are stubborn in defending their point of view, and feel anger readily in response to mistreatment.

Conscientiousness: Persons with very high scores on the Conscientiousness scale organize their time and their physical surroundings, work in a disciplined way toward their goals, strive for accuracy and perfection in their tasks, and deliberate carefully when making decisions. Conversely, persons with very low scores on this scale tend to be unconcerned with orderly surroundings or schedules, avoid difficult tasks or challenging goals, are satisfied with work that contains some errors, and make decisions on impulse or with little reflection.

Openness to Experience: Persons with very high scores on the Openness to Experience scale become absorbed in the beauty of art and nature, are inquisitive about various domains of knowledge, use their imagination freely in everyday life, and take an interest in unusual ideas or people. Conversely, persons with very low scores on this scale are rather unimpressed by most works of art, feel little intellectual curiosity, avoid creative pursuits, and feel little attraction toward ideas that may seem radical or unconventional.

[hexaco.org]

And a shout out to @NerdyOkieDude for inspiring my question. I've been thinking about the Big 5 and whether they were static (and didn't realize they'd come out with a 6th until the recent question about the MBTI).

silvereyes 8 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments (26 - 45)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only thing that fits me is evolved. I have taken every negative or positive influence that I have experienced or was involved with someone who went through a traumatic change. I have broken bits of the ideas off, incorporate each event to try and improving others thought processes. As any evolving being would do is adjust to the circumstances, and adjust for the margin of errors.

As I have aged, I've become more obstinant about certain things, and much more tolerant of others. My critical thinking has sharpened, yet my attention span is that of a goldfish. I read through the post with much interest, as I enjoy self discovery, and learning what makes people tick. On every one of the OCEAN points, I break the mold. They're very academic; not very well thought through IMHO. But then maybe that's cuz I'm a Gemini. 😉

I think we all fall into those categories, more or less. Achieving balance in accordance to your own needs at the time gives it fluidity. But, as I age, I find myself less fluid and more in a balance with contentment. I feel that I can now be more authentic than the many roles I played, employer, director, engineer, chauffuer, baby sitter, business woman, lover, mother, cousin and friend as we interact with each other. Now life is simple and on my terms as. My grand kids say that I am ferule. I have been ferule all of my life and enjoy all the love and pleasure I can exchange with all living beings who's path I am honored to walk, if only for a little while.

We've likely all heard the phrase "works in progress". That's how I feel about myself - especially when I look back.

While my basic core remains the same, I'm continually tweaking, trying new ways of going through the world, and exposing myself to enough that hopefully I gain more wisdom !

I think more people are constantly in flux, than not - for better or worse.

I was raised in Midwestern Ohio among the corn and winter wheat. I was very naive. I got married, moved to PA, and after a short period of time, a spiritual path opened for me. I have never been the other person since. My personalities, my ethics, my morals, all changed. So onward I go.

im not the same but sometimes i wish i was, sometimes im glad ive changed

I am not the person I once was, thankfully, and hopefully, not the person I will become.

I honestly don't think I'm the same person I was 10 minutes ago. Who you are and how you react to things has so much to do with your environment and other things we can't control. We don't have as much control as we think we do.

I don't think we're the same person moment to moment, but very similar (usually). As we change, slowly, imperceptibly day to day, we change by leaps and bounds decade to decade. I think of it like evolution, where one generation to the next is very similar but a hundred or a thousand generations can be drastically different. There's still an influence of some sort, but there might be no direct resemblance. I saw a video that explained what I've been thinking in terms of chainmail: we gradually keep adding to one end, and links get removed from the other, so at some point it's nearly all new, but never an abrupt change.

Sam Harris says the self is a process rather than a static entity and I'll go along with that, but I think we grow into ourselves. The adolescent me was as much me as I am today, but there are stark differences.

I've changed quite a lot since my teen years and strive to change everyday. If you aren't changing/growing, you're stuck.

I've changed so much in my life, I think living is change. I'm much more direct now than I ever was, and more sure of what I do want or will not tolerate. I like me better now too.

I think age gives more dimensions to each trait if that makes sense. Understanding what to be modest about and what not to can change a person. I know I've changed over time but I don't know if it's my corest of traits but how I apply them and when I withhold them.

It seems that my character is the same from when I was a young child, but the rest of me is still evolving with every experience. That won't stop until I am dead.

It seems that my character is the same from when I was a young child, but the rest of me is still evolving with every experience. That won't stop until I am dead.

I read the post, and scolled thru the comments. At first my mind buzzed and I was thinking my comment would be a long tale of how I changed and coped along the way. As tho to justify my means of getting here and then this - for the most part have stayed true to myself. Not so long but it says enuff.

I believe the only constant in life is change. We humans are capable of radical change almost instantaneously. Personally, although my values are basically the same as they were in my youth, my abilities for empathy, analysis and expression have grown incredibly. I'm looking forward to discovering more about what I don't know about myself!

We're always changing, but why dwell on it. Nostalgia is a thing of the past. LOL

I used to Chase Tail as if it was going Out of Style. Not anymore... Content with the Memories and still in touch 20 years later. I am Happy how things have turn out. I still am Enamored by the Feminine Sex. Maybe Now I Am Ready to Surrender!!!! MAYBE.

Yup, when I was diagnosed with ADHD and began treatment I became LESS of an asshole but still an asshole.

SamL Level 7 Dec 28, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.