Agnostic.com

371 37

are you afraid of death?

being atheist or agnostic we know that chriatainality and angels and demons gods and devils and most likely an afterlife are all just wishful thinking. seeing as we know that death is indeed the end for us does that idea frightend you ? what are your thoughts on death ? personaly i gotta admitt it scares me . i know there is nothing i can do to avoid it . im so sad when a relative dies knowing ill never see them again. and this is why i think so many people wanna believe in a god and heaven. we want so badly to believe us and our loved ones will live on that many do so just to comfort themselfs. your thoughts ?

DavidDeLa89 6 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

371 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you have undergone a major surgery where you are out for a few hours and being cut open, then you know the feeling of death, Nothing is there, no pain, no conscious , no mind,
Even your deepest sleep would awake to being cut open. But without a conscious present your body can be torn up and you are not home to notice it.

EMC2 Level 8 May 13, 2018

I fear the dying process. Getting old, and worn out. Unable to care for myself.

I’m counting on a sudden death from one of our many human conditions to keep me from experiencing this process.

Foggy Level 4 May 13, 2018

Alexa Level 5 May 15, 2018

Nice find 😀

I don't fear being dead - after all, it will be an absence of existence, the events of life having become as transient and lost as the vivid dream that we've forgotten having by the time we wake. I do fear the process of dying. During a long twilight of the mind, a months-long depressive interlude I couldn't shake, the contemplation of what the psychiatric community rather blithely refer to as "suicidal ideation" (together with that other sunnily evasie term, "anhedonia", which has always sounded to me like the name of a rather pleasant suburb of Narnia) was a constant. The thought of jumping from a fatal height or, as the darkness progressed, a bullet in the head were, funnily enough, too final. Go figure. In the end, inertia won out and I lived on.

Not scared of dying bit scared of dying painfully or alone.

Im afraid of pain, not of death

The older I get the less it scares me. I think it's hard when you're younger because, at least in my case, I felt I had too much left to do. I still want to do a lot but my body won't let me.

No one likes to leave a good party, but 'all things must pass. ' I was diagnosed with a terminal disease last year, and the knowledge that my time is more limited than I would have liked it to be has certainly encouraged consideration of mortality, of life and the leaving of it. But I do not fear death. I fear dying; the end of awareness of all I know and love, the discomfort of exit. But death to me is a mere nothing-No reward or punishment, no continued consciousness, simply a return to pre- birth, to the cosmos, and completion of the cycle.

extremely well put. I'm sorry for your illness.

I have no fear of my own death but I hate the salt of those close to me dying before me. Life seems short and looking at physics I see that at the end of life I will just join a pool of particles which make up our universe. From Stardust to Stardust cycle completed.

I may be an agnostic atheist, but I still believe in the soul (but not heaven or hell). Even if that doesn't exist, there is really no reason to be afraid of nonexistence. I wouldn't feel pain or loss because I wouldn't be there at all. It's better than having depression and anxiety. If my beliefs about the soul turn out to be correct, then there is still no reason for me to fear death. I won't like the experience of the death itself, but going on afterwards would probably be okay.

No. Just that I'm not in pain when I die. My late friend Chris died 3 times. The last time was final. His pace maker kicked in the first 2 times. He said he didn't remember anything except it felt like he got kicked in the chest by a mule. No perly gates. No pits of hell. I am scared of dying at a young age, and leaving my friends and family behind to suffer the loss.

DEATH rides a pale horse, and apparently likes cats. I'm not afraid of anyone who likes cats.

I do believe energy never dies, so we go on after death. However, I believe heaven and hell were created to instill fear in members of a religion. I don't know where we go, after death, I like to think we continue on in some way.

Afraid of dying, but not of death.

?⭐?️‍?️i died a long time ago. fear of death is only ego ?

I will echo the sentiments of the previous commenters and say that possible pain associated with dying or a prolonged a debilitating illness before it happens scare me more than the idea of not existing. I also don't like the idea of not being around my loved ones. Death is akin to leaving the party that is still very much alive so it makes me sad that at some point I will need to leave and let my family go on without me. But besides that I don't find anything scary about not existing.

I learned first hand that the thought of being dead does not frighten me. Dying on the other hand can be quite painful.
While installing a new washer I found out the hard way that my water heater was defective and had electrified my plumbing.

"What's happening...
I'm being electrocuted...
If I don't let go soon I'm gonna die...
I'm gonna die...
I hope it doesn't take long."

When I told this story at work a religious coworker said "how could I not believe in god after he saved my life". I said "if he saved my life then why did he put me in that situation in the first place?" He said "to teach me a lesson" what lesson would that be, don't install washing machines?

A great philosopher said something great once watch this video. I couldn't answer this question in finer words

Were you afraid of being born? Fear is the great motivator that religions and governments use to pacify their herds (flocks). Don't let the fear you think you have govern your actions. Accept that you will die, I will die. No one gets out of here alive.

Well Said

Here is my opinion on the matter 🙂

I'd prefer to die peacefully, heck if diagnosed with late stage cancer there's a good chance I'm trying every drug I can get my hands on then go skydiving.

I am afraid of death in the sense that I do not want to be killed by someone before my time arrives.

But, death itself as a life process does not scare me. Someday we will all die. No one has lived for ever, will live forever. I see death as a part of living. You get conceived, you spend sometime inside you mothers womb, you are born, you grow and grow until you reach old age and you die. We are part of this cycle of life and death. So, why be afraid of the end?

Unfortunately, this process can be curtailed in many ways. Wars will kill many, disease will end lives prematurely, bad people will kill others for pleasure and profit, accidents will kill many.

We all feel sad when someone close to us dies. We grieve for them. But we do not show the same grief when other people die, especially if we are not attached to them somehow. Our bombs will kill thousands somewhere else. We applaud the bombers who drop the bombs. Our soldier will kill people, we will call them heroes.

It appears that we are all involved in the death business one way or another.

Not yet but I suppose I will be when I'm look death in the face.

Be happy that you had these wonderful people in your life. I'm not scared of death. Perhaps the dying part might hurt but not actually death.

I am never afraid of death. To me birth is the same as death. What I am afraid is ,of course, the pain I must endure before I die.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.