Agnostic.com

72 3

What do you think about sharks?

I know they are perceived as evil by many, but what do you think of sharks?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

72 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Normal folk going about their business like everyone else. No good, no evil, just doing what they do!

They are majestic creatures, beautiful to watch

I think I will give them their space.

A large fish with sharp teeth like any fish always hungry

They taste good!

actually yes. and no bones

@Rugglesby
I remember the first time I had it. I was sold on the first bite.

I think they are menacing and magnificent 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 June 22, 2018

I read somewhere that you’re more likely to be killed by a cow than a shark...

with or without tartar sauce?

DerekD Level 7 June 22, 2018

red sauce im sure they are tasty and id rather see the whole animal eaten instead of the practice of just cutting the fins and letting them drowned I have a yummy tartar sauce recipe lol

I don't see them as good or evil. I see them for what they are. And that is a marine predator who has evolved into one of Earth's perfect killing machines. They fill the same ecological niche that wolves do on land to help control the population of prey animals.

Parallel with humankind then!

@Geoffrey51 almost I guess except the sharks don't have the ability to kill all life on the planet 7 times over. LOL

More people eat shark than sharks eat people.

Amazing creatures. Oldest known shark skeleton is 420 million years old. Probably be around long after we're gone.

xyz123 Level 7 June 22, 2018

@5082gregory But the 6,000 year people got it wrong. They are counting the old Testament cycles as years. Without seasons (middle East), the ancient people told time by the moon cycles. Hence 975 cycles is really 75 years old (divide by 13 -- its actually 12. something). 75 is still really old for that time.

@5082gregory They have found fossilized remains of our antecedents reaching as far as 200,00 years. 100 or 200 thousand years is of little value until we can prove or discount one or the other or both. But the religious analysis is so flawed as to be laughable. Not true science -- they knew the answer they wanted and they moved around facts and figures to substantiate it. Not sure why -- don't really care.

They are amazing creatures, but I would never get in a tank to swim with any

I like them and they should be left alone, as all wildlife!

Sharks: an ancient lineage of cartilaginous fish (their only bones are in their in jaws); today there are about 750 species in the class, which also includes skates and rays; some lay an egg called a mermaid's purse, others bear live young; all have a cloaca; all have sensors in their skin that can detect the electric fields generated by muscle contractions in other fish; apex predator; first evolved about 450 million year ago; biggest ever was Carcarodon megalodon (up to 60 feet long), which went extinct around 18 (?) million years ago (its closest living relative is the great white shark). Sharks are horribly over-fished for sharkfin soup and cartilage supplement pills (criminally wasteful). If they are wiped out, the whole marine trophic structure will become unbalanced and marine biodiversity will crash. 30% of all protein consumed by humans comes from the sea. Do the math.

To date, no shark has ever broken into my home and stolen stuff, mugged me, nicked my bike, tried to run me over, made a racist/homophobic/misogynist comment, been deliberately cruel, committed a rape, started a war or conducted genocide.

I like them a lot more than I like humans.

Jnei Level 8 June 22, 2018

Me too! ?

So true!

Wow, that is my experience as well.

Sharks; a six letter word for teeth?

Oh yes!

There's nothing evil about them. They are efficient, deadly predators that do exactly what they've evolved to do, and they are good at it.

Top level predators are an environmental necessity.

It's weird how we prioritize our fears. Vending machines and cows each kill far more humans than sharks do.

JimG Level 8 June 22, 2018

There's nothing evil about them. They are efficient, deadly predators that do exactly what they've evolved to do, and they are good at it.

Top level predators are an environmental necessity.

It's weird how we prioritize our fears. Vending machines and cows each kill far more humans than sharks do.

JimG Level 8 June 22, 2018

Love them, especially Whale and Mako!

BillF Level 7 June 22, 2018

Majestic animals with just as much an important value as any animal. It very intelligent for a fish. Was once thought that sharks do not get cancer [blogs.scientificamerican.com]

azzow2 Level 9 June 22, 2018

Yeah, I don't think of sharks unless I'm at the aquarium. They aren't evil, they are just acting in their sharkiness which is what they are as creatures. I reserve the word evil for the Republicans and everyone in this current administration.

Od and very random question

Qiru Level 6 June 22, 2018

Sharks are misunderstood thanks to a movie that came out in 1975. Now what was the name of that movie? Lol.

Paws

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?
??

Sharks are horribly maligned and abused and MURDERED by humans. Often the are caught, have their fins cut off, and are thrown back into the ocean alive where they will then drown. It's cruel and abusive....and I hope anyone eating "Sharks Fin Soup" chokes on it and dies. People suck.

They are better swimmer than I would ever be ..... Also, if we ever cross paths then I hope they'll have had lunch already

unfortunately I believe the eating is more opportunistic than hunger based like me

@whiskywoman anyhow, safest strategy is to stay out the water... ???

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:112897
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.