Agnostic.com

9 4

LINK Unelectable Atheists: U.S. States That Prohibit Godless Americans From Holding Public Office - TheHumanist.com

It boggles the mind that there are still places in the modern world where Atheists are discriminated against.

Surfpirate 9 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those are still present because no one has yet challenged them. As soon as someone mounted a legal challenge, the prohibitions would immediately be found unconstitutional.

all southern states except Maryland. Flip that and it means the majority of states have no restrictions on atheists holding public office...

I am an Atheist who was an elected Republican for 12 years. Of course, the issue of religion didn't come up.

More importantly, Superman...are you Republican? (I'm just teasing. We're all friends here.)

Philosophically I'm more Libertarian; economically conservative and socially liberal. I ran as a Republican because they asked me to. I voted every election as a Republican so that I could vote against Republicans in the primaries, so they thought I was a Republican.

@ldheinz Hah! You're a Lefty Libertarian as am I. My platform will be fiscally conservative but socially liberal.

@ldheinz actually, I was teasing...of course Superman was one of my childhood 'heroes'.

I love it...lol.

Dumb asses!

The reverse seems the case in the UK. Although we have a state embedded religion it is frowned upon to parade your personal beliefs. Like when Blair wanted to finish an Iraq war address with "God bless", he was told "We don't do god."
I really don't see a problem with whatever impediments legal or otherwise you place in front of candidates. They will simply do what they all do when faced with a moral dilemma.......lie.

Few places accept free thought

Marine Level 8 June 25, 2018

Those laws are clearly unconstitutional and should all be challenged in court.

Some saw the book 1984 as a cautionary tale; others took it as their game plan. Unfortunately, the latter seems to be prevailing at the moment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:115353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.