Agnostic.com

14 3

Labelling yourself an atheist in online dating apps

I've noticed that whenever I tell in my bio I'm an atheist, my matches get a lot low than when I don't mention it at all. To me this is important because I don't think I could date a religious person (besides
semi-serious neo-pagans). What has your experience been so far?
And side note, can you use this app to look for non-religious parters?

VikrantGautam 3 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Certainly anyone you match with may not be agnostic - but you can see that in their profile. Immediately.

We don't have a lot of theists here - but they do come in.

Good luck.

Is there something wrong with your matches being low when you are being true to who you are? By leaving that bit out, you'll get a lot more first dates, but also much fewer second dates - since the people that place importance on religious belief will react the same way regardless of whether they find out before or during that first date.

I'd much rather go on fewer dates, but with people I'm much more likely to get along with.

People are cooler than we give them credit for; once I revealed myself, they were pretty cool about it, I liked that...?

I've long ago given up any reasonable expectation of finding a suitable (must be atheist) life partner. Identifying as an atheist, in this part of the world, there are no options.

As for using this app to look for non-religious partners? I don't have a clue. I have however run across several theists in these pages.

My personal experience has been that (in my region of the midwestern US) most people would rather date anyone, literally anyone, other than an atheist. Sure, if you don't mention being an atheist you might get more dates, but one's beliefs, or lack thereof, is usually a deal breaker. This should not be overly discouraging as at least you're not wasting your time.

@DharmaEngineer I've never been a believer and being the minority in my area, anything other than a form of christian wins the label of devil worshiper, which is funny, considering most non-believers don't believe in satan either. Buddhism is great, I share the idea of cessation of craving and focused thought through meditation. It's not a daily event, meditation, personally, but it is very peaceful which (I'm guessing) is what those who ”pray” experience. The few I thought I had attracted sharing my lack of beliefs on other sites ended up with ”saving me” as their conquest. Pfft, save me, they could have saved me heartache by just being honest. Benevolence and malevolence is easily confused for those with a mission.

@NerdyOkieDude Ha! That's pretty amusing and don't tell your wife her tastes are in question. I appreciate the encouragement and it's nice to know there are more open minds in this state; I'm very glad to have found this app.

I feel bad for daters today you have to declare EVERYTHING before you meet someone. When I met my wife 100 years ago, she was a southern baptist. I was a nothing. Now we are both comfortably heathen. As are our children. I think I am making progress on her parents , but I am running out of time.

I don't see any problem with mix faith mariages, as long as you agree to disagree. I know an agnostic married to a Muslim woman. They have no problems between themselves only from from people of faith. Its a 30 Year marriage, the three sons chose not to believe

If someone bases my eligibility off of that, then I will have dodged a bullet.

I had no luck when I was a Christian and labeled myself as such. Then I changed ot to something else and I forget what I labeled myself. Nothing happened. I just thing thise dating sites are a waste of money and time. It got me nowhere.

It definitely seems like my "success" is much lower when I explicitly state that I'm an atheist. I've played around a bit with using other words such as "secular" or "humanist" and they seem to work slightly better. It's hard to say though since there's no objective way to tell what made the people pass. I finally decided to just use atheist because if that word is going to make someone pass, then there wasn't really any hope there anyway.

Honestly i've never thought about, I've never been on a dating site.
I suppose that this place is sort of a dating site, but that's not why I joined.
I joined to have a place where like minded people can share their views and not get trolled by a ton of religious nutbags all the time.

Used to put Agnostic on dating profiles. Got off all sites but this one.

you are more lonely with the wrong person than just being by yourself.

There's some site where you can specifically check 'atheists' in the 'not for me' section. There wasn't a box for "mysogynists" or "Fanboys".

Plenty of Fish has "not religious" category, as do most other sites I have cruised. I see plenty of others pushing it....no biggie.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:115383
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.