Agnostic.com

16 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the article makes a good case. A lot of hypocritical, far right politicians who change directions with the wind seem to have taken up these calls. I don't think they realise that the rest of the world is laughing their asses off at their primitive, unprincipled posturing.

Denker Level 7 June 28, 2018

Under tRump it has reached a crisis level. Fortunately, many moderate Christians are waking up to this and speaking out. [theatlantic.com]

Religious fundamentalists whether chrisitian or muslim are for people unwilling to take the time to think for themselves but allow others to think for them.

That's the truth.

I did see one sign of hope recently. The Southern Baptist Convention has actually started to distance itself from the Republican Party.

They are also starting to discuss the possibility of women in leadership roles.

This may not seem like much, but it signals a sea change in American politics, and hopefully a less sociopathic approach by the Southern Baptists.

When was it ever not?

They all are! Everyone is waiting for the end of the earth (deathcults) They feel its ok to torture anyone not in the branch of the cult

If we are talking Southern Christian Bible Belt which holds the GOP in Power in those Southern States that haven't changed their "Vote from the Pulpit" since the Civil War. I wouldn't dare mention that Dylan Roof was led by voices either or that the KKK doesn't read the "Good Book"
The offshoots of Religion have become a Multi Million dollar Tax Free Enterprise for anyone with a good line and a stage. And they all pack.The term "Sociopathic" is a little short for a proper response in addressing a anything religious. Your defiinition is a Mental Health terminology.

It's ALWAYS been sociopathic. Most religions are, and have always been.

Oh, boy, has it ever.

Yes, I think that many areas of it have always been. The part that I found interesting in it was the comment that was given by Tony Campolo. His son Bart is now a non-believer and is a member of the clergy project.

I could not read more than a few paragraphs into that without feeling sick to my stomach.

I know what you mean.

Christianity has always had its fair share of sociopaths. Lots of maniacs out there are looking for something to hide their twisted behavior behind, and religion makes a good cover. The pedophile who becomes a priest because it gets them close to kids. The privateer hoarder who hides their disgusting greed and lust for more and more and more as "blessings from the lord", even when they have acquired ten thousand times what any person requires to be comfortable. The sadistic control freak who claims that their right to exhibit wretched and abusive behavior is a devine power granted to them by some god.

Yep. Christianity has always had its share of crazies.

I'd say very cult-like and certainty non-tolerant.
What's your definition of Sociopathic?

It's in the article.

@tnorman1236
Based on the definition provided: yes.

I think it always has been and is just getting to the extreme.

Sounds about right.

I would suggest that the sociopathy is mostly more visible and vociferous as of late.

Yep.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:115665
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.