Agnostic.com

56 6

Death. Do you fear it?

I don't believe there is anything after death. Like falling asleep and dreaming nothing forever. Which isn't a scary thing to happen really since I will have no awareness of anything anymore. So why am I still afraid of death? Has anyone overcome this fear in part or in whole?

Estam 4 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the idea of death, especially in modern western culture, has become this pinpoint of fear and discomfort, and we as a society are so adamant towards the mission of preserving life. We stress the notion "your life is short so live it to your fullest," pretty much from a young age, and the concept of death has been painted so negatively in the media, especially for atheists because there is nothing after death and that does make people upset or uncomfortable. Many things can trigger fear for death: the idea that you will have wasted your short time alive, the idea that you'll have nothing to show for your time here or leave to people around you, therefore being forever forgotten. To some it's more of a fear of pain, both for yourself when it happens and for the people you leave behind. And it's a subconscious thing too, we are hardwired as primates to fight for survival. It's in our instincts to avoid activity that may prove fatal. So it could be any one of these things. Definitely isn't uncommon.

I have no fear of death. I suspect it will be lying in the ground, with dirt in my face, forever.

Yeah it's a fear that grips us all from time to time. The thought of a dreamless sleep is very comforting but there is always the seductive notion of continuing after death gnawing away. I can only do my part in bringing my boys up to be good men and try and leave this world better than when I found it. I guess I'll never know I'm dead, so why be scared?

I don't want to die painfully, I worry for my family for when I am gone, I have been dying since inception, what we consider as time is so big, to an observer outside of time, I am already dead, less than a blink of an eye. So I just accept it, I think I know enough about it, not something I tend to think about often. Life is for living.

I think about it and it makes me sad. i don't fear it because it is going to come to me some day. cannot stop it. but the Earth is so lovely and i will miss it. Blue skies, oceans, grass , mountains and some people.

I don't fear death but I do believe there is an after life. Not as in a heaven or hell but maybe an alternate universe or dimension. I believe our conciousness does go on after physical death

@ENF719 You've presented a very interesting theory - one I'd love to talk to you about more. Now that I have fewer years ahead of me then behind I've been starting to think about the same things. However, in all honesty, I never expected, particularly on this forum, that someone else was thinking along the same lines.

Assuming I'm not immortal. I think I would find death as bloody inconvenient

Not really now that i finally signed up for life insurance again

I fear the pain of dying but not death.

I do not fear death, only dying. I'm afraid there will be pain, sickness, and sadness. As for being dead, I had a surprise grand mal seizure and dropped like a stone. Never felt a thing. You could've put cherry bombs in my nose and i wouldn't have known it so I figure it's safe to assume I'll be even less aware should i die. I DO believe in reincarnation! When my 1st and only child was born and I made that first, precious eye contact, I SAW my late grandfather in my son's eyes. Pawpaw (we're southern) was the LAST thing on my mind in that moment... LAST! Plus, what about all these kids with memories they shouldn't have and skills that they didn't need to learn?? Yep, fear dying, not death, and believe we all keep going round and round. ?

I don't fear death and don't understand why i should no one knows what comes when you die so thetes no way to know but for it to hapen ive always been intriged by the things i don't understand i always whant to know everything and death is no exeption when i comes its just an other unknown expirience to go trought and add to the list of things

We have evolved to try and avoid dying whenever and wherever possible. At this time I don't look forward to doing it again.

I also have an optimistic suspicion that during my lifetime we may find a cure for aging, and people will be able to (generally, barring accidents and murders) live for as long as they want to. That being said, I also think that most people may reach a point (after a hundred or so years) where they feel they have a need to end their own lives, because our brains aren't assembled in a way that living that long and accumulating that much life experience has been a factor, and things just might not continue working in a sustainable way. That will probably be the next big project for mankind, after we solve the problem of aging.

Yeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!... Lol

Being dead? No. The act of dying? I'd like to avoid it as much as possible. I died once in my late teens, and it wasn't fun.

I like the idea of curing the disease of aging, though I suspect that most people would choose to exit on their own terms before they reached their 200th birthday even if their body stopped aging in their late 20s/early 30s.

I don't fear death. I don't like the idea of being dead.
Life is utter shit, but I'll take it over no longer existing.

not looking forward to it...at all

I fear dying, especially in pain. I don't fear being dead.

Deb57 Level 8 June 26, 2018

I've no fear of death whatsoever.

I fear an UNTIMELY death. Quite different

SirJet Level 5 June 25, 2018

The will to live is a basic instinct. Fear of the unknown is driven by uncertainty. We all have a spirit that will not end at our demise.

I have no fear of death. When it happens, it happens. I've spent most of my life in pain, both physical & emotional, so there is little incentive to continue this pattern. I see it as an end to whatever problems I face now and in my past.

I fear both the dying process and death itself. I know that I shouldn't but that hasn't changed the fact that I do. For me it has come down to the realization that there's no purpose to it all since all of the lessons end learned end when we do. It's no different for any other species of life but the consequence of our higher intelligence means we have the misfortune of realizing it.

I don't fear death, just don't want to be there, when it happens.

No

Not anymore, may be something in the parallel universes as quantum dots or probabilities, nobody knows , but I don’t afraid anymore

I don't fear it. But I will choose to avoid it if science develops alternatives to death.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:115999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.