Agnostic.com

18 4

Why is being an "Agnostic atheist" hard for some people to understand?

Ideally, Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact.

When talking with some religious, agnostic or atheist people, the above explanation is too hard for them to understand.

kingofhaze 2 June 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People will always resist what they perceive might harm them. So if a person believes that an all-knowing "almighty" is running things, then their responsibility for a negative life is more easily written off as "God's will."

So to question the existence of an "almighty" can threaten a believer's view and supportive beliefs; it's what suffering believers need to tell them that theres a grander purpose to their suffering. A Rabbi-scholar told me that years ago, and now research tells us something very much like it. A belief of a physical heaven and hell serves a similar purpose, and motivates a similar negative response when questioned.

Missionaries and representatives of many religions have used this human need and exploited the weakness for 1000s of years. The carrot and stick, punishment-reward focused strategies worked as well for churches as it they have for Donald Trump. So far. LLOL

I live in a small town with more churches per capita than any other town and city in Canada. And they represent a diverse list of denominations and belief systems. There's even a weekly 'Spiritual Cafe'. Yet, there are also many agnostics and athiests, all coexisting peacefully and amicably, which is why i moved here 8 years ago; but the great moderate weather helped. LLOL

Here's a Vox article which talks about the rise of the "spiritual but not religious" in the U.S. I don't know if the stats are accurate, but from what i read and see on the net and in the media, i would guess they're not far off the mark.

[vox.com]

I believe it to be dangerous to be absolutely certain of anything, so just as i think those who insist on the existence of God with complete certainty to be dangerous, then by the same token those atheists who insist with absolute certainty that there is no God must be equally dangerous. Doubt is good, it keeps us looking for answers. Science is truth, scientists search for answers to the big questions but if the mind is closed off because we think we already know, then answers will never be found. I suppose it is therefore possible to say there is such a thing as an agnostic atheist. I myself describe myself as a non-theist as I find atheist is often viewed negatively and is often used by religious types as a term of abuse. I also subscribe to the Humanist philosophy and myself a Humanist.

Because most people do not understand intellectual honesty to include a sincere realization of you could be wrong. I am arguing with a Christian who refuses to get off his script of there is his reality and my reality.. why? Because he can't admit he might be wrong just enough to have an honest interchange.

Most likely because we seem to have a strong current in this U.S. culture of needing to be on one side or the other, to know one way or the other... and to just not know is terribly uncomfortable for most.

AmyLF Level 7 June 27, 2018

Does it matter?
All the religious wing nuts hear is that you don't "believe in Jesus," so you will go to hell.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve so here is some information that might be helpful for dating here.

New members are encouraged to earn website points, and help other members get to know them better, by uploading a recent, clear photo of themselves, writing an informational profile that includes their hobbies and interests, and answering all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

The website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Also many women prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find compatible partners.

People make comments and write their own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two someone can private email people. There are different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Levels are mostly a way to help identify and reward those who contribute to the growth of the community. The website also gives more access and benefits depending on level.[agnostic.com]

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

I don’t know. Personally I’ve done my thinking and can actually be open to something like the Christian god existing, but the atheism comes in when I hear that God is a certain way and there are people who genuinely disagree with everything that god is. Atheism is not believing in God, agnosticism is not saying whether god actually exists. You can be open to the idea of a deity existing and still refute the ones that are claimed to exist because those ones have kind of been proven wrong, but there could be undiscovered ways of proving SOMETHING exists, but that something being a god worshiped today seems unlikely in some people’s eyes.

Adam7 Level 4 June 27, 2018

I have two thoughts: forgive me I'm going to share...

1. This seems like a very 1st world problem in a time that is not very 1st world
  2. Best mental masterbastion question EVER!
  3. win

Amazing explanation haha thank you for sharing. ?

@Andrew_Bauer

Thanks...I believe in sharing...it makes the time funnier.

And ya know, it's just like boxer briefs. Some guys can't handle it. For them it is either boxers, OR briefs. ?

That label is my favorite to apply to myself. But to your question, many people are predisposed to concrete, categorical thinking. The concept of multiple terms applying, of overlapping and complimentary labels, is suspect to them. They much prefer there being ONE "Right" answer.

Because the religious ones are convinced God exists. Simple.

Some people tend to be anal about definitions, particularly when it comes to their Atheism. The very idea of Atheism is filled with misunderstanding, half truths and outright lies. It's possible that is why some people are sticklers when it comes to the idea of mixing Agnosticism and Atheism; personally I don't see a problem with it because it makes sense.

Becaue most aren't awake and stuck inside the matrix. They cannot see or understand something that is beyond their comprehension...

Does anybody else feel like the definition of 'god' or 'gods' becomes problematic in this sort of discussion?

Solmar Level 2 June 26, 2018

...because it’s a contradiction of terms..? Agnostic: ‘something could be pulling the strings.’ Atheist: ‘there ain’t no strings.’

Varn Level 8 June 26, 2018

@Maia Also know ‘what’s not?’ Laws. There are no laws, there are only interpretations. So - I get mine, and you get yours 😉

This are closed people you are talking about. Only their view is valid for them.

I'm guessing it's due to the length of time that the term "atheist" was misunderstood or for that matter slandered by religion; for a long time it was ok to say you were agnostic as a way to say "I don't think there are any gods" but taking the extra step and calling yourself atheist was seen by many as saying "I know for a fact there are no gods"... but that's not actually what those words mean.

Those that understand the actual usages of those words generally have no issues accepting that "agonistic atheist" is probably subjectively the best way to describe the default position; you don't believe there are any gods but you don't know".

*Steps off my soapbox

I see what you are saying and I agree but I say this differently for myself. To start with I am almost certain that there are no gods. Notice I said "almost." I cannot make a claim for gods one way or the other because to do so would shift the burden of proof to me. This is how the atheist part of me thinks.
Then agnostic comes into play because I just cannot find any evidence to support belief in any gods. I'm not sure we could know any god being or that any such creature is trying to be in touch with us for any reason.
This makes me an agnostic atheist.

Sounds reasonable to me. Can't see anything difficult in that statement.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:116608
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.