Agnostic.com

53 7

Should we genetically modify our species?

As we learn more about DNA and our genome, with advancements in CRISPR and similar technology, we have opportunities to improve our species in any number of profound ways. The knowledge is there and the tech is catching up quickly. So why not? What are the moral hurdles to genetic and/or cybernetic augmentation of the human race?

ChefMcBrian 4 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's gonna happen anyway, but no, I don't think that's something we should be doing right now. We just started understanding genetics... We're still discovering new organ functions in our bodies and we've only been scratching the surface in understanding the brain. Messing with genetics now will have a huge impact in the future of humanity, I just think we need to understand it better before we make that leap.

The natural evolutionary process has modified our bodies in extraordinary ways. We do not need our gall bladders, coccyx, appendix, and can even live without half our brains as sone have. If we have the ability to potentially modify cancer from the human genome, why not?

Thalidamyde (sp) was a drug given to expectant mothers . In the US , this was during the early 1960s . Children were born missing fingers , toes , arms , legs , genital parts .

Yes! The current design is terribly flawed and outdated.

Yes. We should and can, China is already the leader in human modification, its practically mandatory to screen for disease and the parents are given a choice between four of the healthiest embryos.

Breakthroughs in adult modification utilising CRISPR techniques are curing diseases both environmental and hereditary. Its not really a question of if we should, so much as are you going to join in or opt out.

First, this is an awesome question to post! Genetic modification is coming whether we like it or not. We need to get ahead of the curve and workout the ethical and regulatory issues that need to be addressed. My biggest concern is that it is a tool that is available only to the wealthy. In this case it would just exacerbate our cycle of poverty.

Protecting others from this technology is already denied in the food chain so I expect censorship of truth will escalate on modifying human genes worse than plant/other animal genes

I don't think it's a question of "should".
I think it's a question of how soon.

As a Humanist, I support anything that is beneficial and causes no harm to my species and my human family.

It’s a tempting idea, and could potentially lead to great improvements. However, I feel that any such experimentation should be done very gradually. There are reasons why things are the way they are, reasons for which no one may be aware. Alter DNA, and down the line you are apt to discover that the original version was better.

There is something to be said for natural selection. For example, look at dogs. Selective breeding has caused the emergence of a variety of genetic types that are favored by humans, and which work well in a human dominated environment. Yet most of those varieties suffer from various deficiencies that would keep them from surviving without humans. Wild canines are superior in a wild environment.

That is not to say there should be no experimentation, just don’t throw out the old version until after many years of analysis. Remember that no one knows what the environment of the future will be like. Morals have nothing to do with it.

Science-fiction writers have been exploring this subject long before it's ever been possible.
Movies like Gattica could be a possible outcome, where we have two different classes of citizens, one genetically modified and others that are conceived naturally.

the thing with scifi everything is made up. Does not necessary to change one thing will effect another. They do it in scifi movies to make people scared of everything the same thing with religions makes you scared of everything

@benhmiller I don't think that's necessarily true, sci-fi at least good sci-fi is about exploring the human condition about how an individual response to extreme conditions. We should be cautious about how we choose to shape our society and now our genome. I'm certainly not advocating outlawing the development of the technology but there are some things we should think long and hard on. Like cloning dinosaurs.

A stellar scifi book that addresses genetic modification is "Children of Time"!

Photog Level 4 June 27, 2018

Great book!

Apocalypse

By Marco Denevi, (Argentina / 1967)

Written in 1961 and published in 1967.

It was during the last years of the 32nd Century when the human race fell into extinction. The manner in which this occurred is described therein: the machines had reached such a high caliber of perfection that mankind was not in need of eating, sleeping, talking, reading, thinking, or of doing anything. It was sufficient enough for them to press a button and the machines would do everything for them. Gradually, everything began to disappear: the Bibles, the works of Leonardo da Vinci,
tables, chairs, roses, the recordings of Beethoven’s 9
th
Symphony, the antique stores, the wine of Bordeaux, the swallows and orioles, the tapestries of Flanders, all of the compositions of Verdi, the Azaleas, chess, telescopes, the Palace of Versailles, the Gothic cathedrals, football stadiums, the Pieta of
Michelangelo, the maps containing the ruins of Trajan’s Imperial For
um, automobiles, rice, the Redwoods, even the Parthenon. Only the machines remained. Afterwards, mankind began to take notice that they were also progressively disappearing while the machines were increasing in numbers. It only took a matter of time for the machines to duplicate themselves. The machines eventually occupied every possible place. One could not pass or move without tripping over them. In the end, mankind was eliminated since the last one forgot to disconnect the machines. We then continued to go on functioning.

@DUCHESSA I think I may have read that one, but I'm not sure. Most of what I've read from that era of sci fi is Asimov and Heinlein.

@ChefMcBrian This "lil" essay was written by Marco Denevi...an Argentinean lawyer / writer and translated to English many years after it was published.

No. I don't eat GMOs!

I see what you did there. 😉

Nice.

I see a sci fi freak here thinks everything we do is wrong just like religions are scared of change because it proves no gods

@poetdi56 Glad you were able to flesh out my meaning!

@benhmiller It was a joke, dude!

I'm sure that in time, most objections will be removed, and there is plenty of illegal gene editing going on now.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve so here is some information that might be helpful for dating here.

New members are encouraged to earn website points, and help other members get to know them better, by writing an informational profile that includes their hobbies and interests, and answering all the profile questions, since that's the first place many people look when they see a new member.

The website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Also many women prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find compatible partners.

People make comments and write their own posts to earn more points and privileges; for instance, at level two someone can private email people. There are different perks with each level, and when you reach level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

To find members near you, click on the "Meet" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Or click on the "About" button at the top of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Click on the 'Meet" button to find member matches

Levels are mostly a way to help identify and reward those who contribute to the growth of the community. The website also gives more access and benefits depending on level.[agnostic.com]

Links to FAQ: [agnostic.com],
and a website tutorial: [agnostic.com]

Thanks for the info. I actually forgot that I signed up for this site until i received an email recently. I'll work on that profile when I get a little time. Very busy these days. This is a question I posted in a Facebook group that turned out to be an interesting conversation.

The sooner human beings go ahead and destroy themselves (however they do it), the better for the planet and everything else trying to survive on it, is my humble opinion. It's not a right or wrong thing, just one of those pesky facts.

There is no way to know the long term effects of doing this! How will it interfere with evolution?! That could take a millennium to find out!

True, but many worthwhile things have taken and would take a long time to bring about. Most persons don't give a RA beyond their personal benefit or loss though, so right or wrong, good or bad the difficult part is getting enough people to agree on anything that does take time, right? What's something you'd like to get everyone on board with? My thing would be curbing population, as I think that could have the best, most positive effect on practically every problem from the smallest quality of life issues to the biggest that are actually dooming the entire planet. (Sorry if I took your answer. We can share it.)

We already do when we reproduce.

I have no problem wuth the concept on it's own. In fact genetic improvement could do wonderful things for individuals . However in practice only the rich woud have the luxury of it, thus giving them a physical as well as monetary advantage over everyone else. I find this idea disturbing in the extreme.

Yarrow Level 2 June 27, 2018

Yep, items and knowledge don't have intent and they are not inherently good nor evil. They can all be used for either, the only obstacle is what we as a species will do with it. If we unleash it and cannot use it properly then we should stop, just like anything else.

I'm in favor of it until specific humans traits are to be eliminated, like race, color. Eugenics has already been tried (Nazi Germany). I would never trust any organization to improve our genome without prejudice. Too easy to buy one or more of the panel members.

xyz123 Level 7 June 27, 2018

Unfortunately, morals, integrity, empathy and kindness aren't contained in DNA, so why bother?

They kind of are. The ability to be kind comes from the propensity to manufacture certain compounds and faculties in the body, and therein is a necessary genetic component because genes control all protein production. That is scientific truth that anyone can source to a professional, credentialed publication, so "morals, integrity, empathy, and kindness aren't contained in DNA" is an improperly formed statement.

@SACatWalker

Lol "technically", you say. I am just being honest.

Yes, Shawniedawn, but they are driven by sex hormones. So, let's try without that for a bit.

If we could get rid of the flaws yes

I think your wishes could only be granted if we "colonize" another planet....See, we will live too long and today resources will be scarcer.

ifwe could improve intelligence get rid of diseases we would not be so easily led down a path that is stupid and people would be smart enough not to be popping kids out with out thing!

I think we need this in order to colonize other places. We're very poorly equipped to survive in space.

@ChefMcBrian Trust me..."they" won't allow it to happen.

The Nazis are Back!!!

Oh my no. Im not talking about making a specific super race. Just improving our survivability.

@ChefMcBrian Isn't that what religion been telling us? And preparing us for?

@ChefMcBrian there are those who don't get it!

And who would like to put in charge of that project?

a woman that likes big dicks we need that improvement

Who would you like to see in charge of something like this?

@whiskywoman How big?

@whiskywoman I was thinking more of no dicks, no genitalia, no sex hormones. Let's try that for a while and see where it will lead us.

And that is the bottom line - who would be in charge. Like so many things - like AI being in charge, as we have discussed on this site previously - who decides? And as my trust level is at rock bottom, and as a long-time sci fi lover, I'm not sure. I AM sure that it will happen. But will cooler heads prevail?

@Spinliesel Sure, why not? It would certainly simplify our existence.

@ChefMcBrian 8 or 9 inches and thick

@ChefMcBrian, @Spinliesel
to extinction

@poetdi56 We don't have a head cool enough yet. On even the smallest scale we're a very young species. Its a little scary to think that we have the power to make serious decisions and mistakes in this matter already.

someone who can do the job. Be practical and common sense

@Spinliesel asexual reproduction? Or no reproduction at all?

@whiskywoman Damn lady! Thats about 1 man in 10,000! Good luck to you!

@AtheistInNC No reproduction, only acquisitions.

@Spinliesel Hostile takeovers will abound!

@AtheistInNC By whom?

@benhmiller Again one person's common sense is another persons dangerous lunacy. It is all too subjective.

@benhmiller, @Spinliesel Those who see themselves as being more genetically pure and desirable, those who have twisted their evolution in one way rather than another, those who still see skin colours other than their own as a sign of racial inferiority.

@ChefMcBrian no actually its not and its white men not blacks in case you wondered peckers ate getting bigger even dr oz says so because women generally prefer bigger there are still lots of 6 inch penises but 7 is becoming the new norm and 8 is pretty common 9 is not so rare

@ChefMcBrian and I find 4 to 6 weekly

@whiskywoman Wow. You see alot of penises.

@ChefMcBrian I do taste them enjoy most of them frequent repeats

100% yes. I can see no moral objections at all,..... only a grey area if you don’t understand how evolution works, believe that god exists & wants us to suffer,.... or you take away peoples right to choose.

Whether I want to combat disease, grow new limbs,..... or even have a kid with blue eyes,..... the answer is yes. .....& quickly please!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:116895
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.