Agnostic.com

47 8

Why do people think bad things that happen to people are part of god’s plan?

Almost 9 years ago, my beautiful sister was taken from this world from being sick from cancer.
I hate it, HATE it when someone says, “Oh, it’sall part of God’s plan.”
What part of God’s plan induces pain, suffering, sorrow and death for no reason?

MrsMickiLP 5 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Because they are weak minded and have a very casual relationship with reality

Xena Level 6 June 27, 2018

I think it's cognitive dissonance resolution. People who say things like that have bought into "god's plan", and when bad things happen, they have to lie to themselves to keep the belief strong. Anyone who will lie to herself will extrapolate that lie to anyone else feeling that pain in order to strengthen the resolution. It's psychotic, delusional Behavior. I don't think that people who will do such a thing are capable of considering the feelings of others. I am sorry for your loss, I know that time makes things a little easier, but it never makes the pain go away completely.

NerdyB Level 4 June 27, 2018

Do they follow up with that insipid corrollary, "that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger?"
Thanks, asshat but I was strong enough already.

What doesn't kill you might just cripple you for the rest of your life.

@schwinnrider Love your handle, Schwinnrider. I have a son and a daughter who are serious bikers, I’m a serious walker myself.

They have to above all have to have someone or something to blame!

Of course it's a lie.

Even the Christians who say that stuff didn't get it from the Bible, since they seldom read it.

Jesus always told people who were healed during his ministry that it was THEIR faith that healed them.

In Mark 11:23, he said that if anyone or "anything" (the Greek pronoun includes all declensions) tells a mountain to throw itself into the sea, and believes it (Greek word includes both conscious and unconscious thoughts), the mountain must obey.

No mention of god or of it being "god's will" for some mountain to fall into the sea, which could presumably cause tsunamis.

The idea being conveyed is that we are co-creators of our own universe..making our own reality.

“Consciousness is fundamental, and matter is derived from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

It's a conundrum for Christians. If their god is all powerful, he has power over evil and pain and suffering. They can try to blame it on some devil, but an all powerful god would also have power over the devil. So, it has to be part of some mysterious plan that we mere mortals cannot understand. I'm not that dumb.

Gonna go with "They're idiots."

God’s plan doesn’t have to be humane.

Ignorance. Sense of purpose.

Because they want a reason for their suffering. I know I sure as hell wish my suffering was part of some bigger plan to make it worth it but noooo it's just bad luck

I used to think "as long as I'm suffering, then someone else will be spared it." But that was just for my own comfort and peace of mind. Turns out there isn't a finite amount of suffering

@LadyAlyxandrea as I child I always thought if I can feel the pain for someone else then that would make it ok, unfortunately that's not how it works. I had to learn that lessen the hard way. I'm oddly glad to know I'm not the only one who thought like that.

Because it's an easy excuse to give as a way to avoid telling the truth which is that we can only play the hand we are delt.

Any one ever hear the term god-fearing?

They don't think their God is good... They know in their hearts he isn't...

They don't love him, they don't really understand how they feel about him.

They fear him...

So much so they offer up consent for unjust murder rather then challenge his will or doubt his power... The rest is just words.

First of all, I'm truly sorry for your loss. People live what they learn and we have to decide it if comes from a genuine emotion or not. I get the anger, I went thought it with the loss of my husband and mom. The people that knew my husband and mom were genuine about their feelings and used God and Jesus to as their coping mechanism, they used what they knew and I let it slide.

The only person I have control of is me. I choose how to act and react and only I will get the benefit or suffer the consequences for them. The people around me will either learn from me or ignore me. It is after all, their choice.

Betty Level 8 June 27, 2018

Offering empty platitudes eases their suffering when confronted with reality. Thoughts and prayers might fill someone's coffers, but will never benefit anyone in need.

I understand your pain and your thinking. there is No GOD and NO plan.

Because they secretly escaped the mental ward and are spread the virus of an invisible deity.

azzow2 Level 9 June 27, 2018

It is a platitude, makes them feel better for not actually doing anything or having anything thoughtful or empathetic to say.
They don't say it for your benefit they they simply don't want to admit their god who they are terrified of, is a c<>t

I think it reinforces the belief that they are not in control, and that god is the ultimate arbiter who doles out both rewards and punishments.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I hope you can find some comfort in the memories of happier times.

As for the why, well, like nearly all things regarding human behavior there is more nuance to be found in the why then most people care to admit.

Some people believe they are being tested. That the bad things in their life are meant as a challenge to be endured to prove their faith to themselves and others.

Some people believe dark forces have conspired against them in an attempt to undermine God's Plan. But they have faith that His plan will ultimately win out, even if they don't live to see it.

Some people believe they are surrendering control to Him as a way of coming to terms with the overall lack of control they have in life.

Some people belive the whole "acts in mysterious ways" line. They think that with His perspective on reality being so utterly alien to our own we can't possibly understand Him and his choices any more then a sick animal can understand why a veterinarian just stabbed it.

And these are just a few reasons why. There are almost as many reasons as belivers. Just remember that, by and large, the people who talk about Gods plan in the face of hardship and tragedy aren't trying to upset you. In their lives such a statement is meant to reassure and comfort. It's what they want to hear in those times because it helps them come to terms. So of course that's where their mind goes when trying to help others cope.

It is the only way to wrap their heads around something when they believe god controls everything, especially when they keep telling you how loving he is. I am so very sorry for your loss and no There is no explanation for this type of thing. My daughter has been through 2 different cancer battles but is so lucky because she made it through. For her this experience was what made her an Atheist

wow what a story Amelie. Instead of thanking gawd, you are all grateful to the doctors, the research, the science behind it and, no less, to you for supporting her all the way I'm sure.

@Lukian thanks. We all need to support each other in times that test us.

@AmelieMatisse somehow, not believing in gawd actually means we relate to our live human family and relationship instead of an imaginary friend in the clouds.

@Lukian yes that is very true. I feel badly for people who spend hours praying for no reason at all. If we could just accept that some things happen in life for no other reason than a chance occurance

@AmelieMatisse you said it better.

I see you have reasoned this well. Unfortunately, when you are not an independent thinker, like a theist, then Gawd is a crutch for everything you can't explain.

Lukian Level 8 June 27, 2018

Well, if there happens to be a god, and it has a plan, it has to be in god's plan other wise it would one half-ass of a god

Because then the incomprehensible makes sense, and they don't have to think about it much. I am so sorry for your loss.

Ask them why babies are born addicted to crack. Ask them why young children are raped. Ask them why God planned for a man to throw acid in a woman’s face because she looked at a guy.

God’s Plan is a bullshit excuse to describe away horrible things that Christians can’t explain rationally. Also, if you want to throw them for a loop, ask them if they believe in luck. If they answer yes, that just furthers their hypocrisy. If they do, that’s saying that God doesn’t have a plan. Luck is a force that can alter the outcome of an event. If God has a plan, then everything is already predetermined. Free Will doesn’t really exist if God’s Plan does. Because no matter what we do or what happens, God planned for it to happen.

Leo716 Level 6 June 27, 2018

Sorry for your loss. I agree. The same thought goes for pediatric cancer. How can it be part of a plan for children to die??? Or any terminal illness? I was sexually molested by two men when I was 10 years old. It infuriates me when I hear shit like it’s part of the plan or god allows things because people can handle it.

Now that’s real tucked up, I spent years working with abused women and children it takes some much enrrgy to maintain any sense of sanity. But to my amazement many women and children survive the trauma

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117331
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.