Agnostic.com

47 8

Why do people think bad things that happen to people are part of god’s plan?

Almost 9 years ago, my beautiful sister was taken from this world from being sick from cancer.
I hate it, HATE it when someone says, “Oh, it’sall part of God’s plan.”
What part of God’s plan induces pain, suffering, sorrow and death for no reason?

MrsMickiLP 5 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments (26 - 47)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see you have reasoned this well. Unfortunately, when you are not an independent thinker, like a theist, then Gawd is a crutch for everything you can't explain.

Lukian Level 8 June 27, 2018

Well, if there happens to be a god, and it has a plan, it has to be in god's plan other wise it would one half-ass of a god

Because then the incomprehensible makes sense, and they don't have to think about it much. I am so sorry for your loss.

Ask them why babies are born addicted to crack. Ask them why young children are raped. Ask them why God planned for a man to throw acid in a woman’s face because she looked at a guy.

God’s Plan is a bullshit excuse to describe away horrible things that Christians can’t explain rationally. Also, if you want to throw them for a loop, ask them if they believe in luck. If they answer yes, that just furthers their hypocrisy. If they do, that’s saying that God doesn’t have a plan. Luck is a force that can alter the outcome of an event. If God has a plan, then everything is already predetermined. Free Will doesn’t really exist if God’s Plan does. Because no matter what we do or what happens, God planned for it to happen.

Leo716 Level 6 June 27, 2018

Because is the way stupid people have to explain what can't be explained.

Because it's easier than having to actually think.

godef Level 7 June 27, 2018

An ignorant inane, thoughtless response

It allows them to feel guilt free for not having done a damn thing to head it off...

Varn Level 8 June 27, 2018

Because they are sent right from "gawd" (he/she/it is a complete bastard)...and woe to you blasphemers who plead for him to rescind the sentence!

The pain that you feel, the outrage? The sorrow, despair, sadness, depression, anger...

Yeah a lot of people aren't strong enough to bear it alone. They need to beleive in a fairytale to make it all better. They didn't lose a loved one - they're with an all knowing, all loving Deity that just couldn't wait to hang out with them.

Fucking childish if you ask me. Reality is pain. Embrace it.

SirJet Level 5 June 27, 2018

God has terrible plans. Is it his plan to starve millions of children worldwide? I sometimes tell christians that if there is a god he is a sadistic cruel entity.

Jeff56 Level 2 June 27, 2018

There is no god and therefore no plan. When people say that is part of gods plan what they are really saying is I can not except reality and the fact that life is full of the good and the bad, the bliss and the pain! It is a weak mentality that usually leads to following blindly into christian cult activity.

I do believe it is a way to stay positive and not become devastated and become overwhelmed when bad things happen. It gives people a reason to move forward. My view is; bad stuff happens and it's a good time to reflect make changes when needed and move forward. As far as death and illness is concerned; it's a good time to remember the good times and forget the bad and treasure the memories of the ones you've lost and fill your life with others that will fill in until the pain of that loss subsides.

I think it is in keeping with religion's lack of ability to explain phenomena - blame or attribute it to their god... Of course, if someone were to make that type of insensitive comment to me I would be sorely tempted to stating my amazement that anyone could worship an entity so sadistic. What plan could possibly explain cancer and an early, painful death??

Rustee Level 7 June 28, 2018

Such people have created a false construct, which they use to get through life - because they're mentally weak.

They view themselves as being exempt from all the bad things that can happen in life, because they are deluded.

They remind me of the people who like violent drama. The type who watch slasher films or who read crime fiction about serial killers. They enjoy it, but they never think that they could become a victim of violent crime themselves. They're special. Those things only happen to other people.

This could be extended to politics. Some working class people might vote for republicans or for a party that traditionally serves the rich. They are exempt.

I wonder if there's a narcissistic component.

This sort of schizophrenic pronouncement that god is good and merciful and kind and protective and fatherly, while at the same time having Mysterious Ways that involve baroque and tragic human suffering, is something you're never going to get them to explain because there IS no explanation for it.

Most people like to think someone is in charge. It gives them some sort of comfort and takes the responsibility for their lives off of themselves.

Because it's the easiest way for people to explain the world around them.

Because they cannot deal with the thought that the world isn't just and fair in some manner, and their inability to change that. If they think that there's an afterlife where someone that got a raw deal here will get ten times as many good deals gifted to them, then the world doesn't seem so bad and they can continue on with the least change to the way they normally do things.

Thoughts and prayers are so much easier than making a sizable donation to cancer research or to getting a medical degree and working on a cure.

Of course, it's also outside of their thought processes to consider what effect their "god's plan" comment will have on someone that doesn't read from the same book of fiction they do. Or perhaps they did think of that, and feel that it is deserved for not believing. Any god that tortures people with diseases like that certainly doesn't deserve respect (as in admiration, as opposed to how you'd respect a . 45 pointed at your head), much less worship.

For the same reason that, had she survived after extended medical treatment, new developments in cancer treatment brought about by decades of human research, they would have called it a miracle from God. Forget about the science, the dedicated scientists and the willpower of the ill person to persevere and their personal strength. Religious people kind of make me sick!

I really detest it when people say, it was gods will, or it must have been their time. What a crock. Talk about passing the buck

I worked in Pediatrics at Mt Sinai in NYC for twenty years. No loving god would let the things I saw ever happen babies and children. My experience there convinced me that there was no god and no plan for us. I go ballistic when people say that I usually reply quietly, No, it is not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:117331
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.