Agnostic.com

33 5

What is the main reason why you became a non-beliver or a believer of anything spiritual?

I am a non-believer of any church teaching because I highly believe that they do not know what they are teaching or maybe some of them are aware what they are teaching and they are the ones helping to keep people confused and more lost. but I am a believer in spirituality and I believe that every life on earth is as important as a human life. life itself is endless. their is still things that we still need to learn and there is still things that we do not understand or get what happens in the world. but that is why life is endless there is still more things to discover and learn.

yaya87 5 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I went along for awhile. The concept of hell was more intriguing than heaven. But, in the end, the whole idea was just too unrealistic to hold my attention for long. God and Jesus are just characters in a poorly written piece of fiction same as any other trashy novel.

If you look at most religions they use the next life to express their cuttings and words and control people as they please.

True, every life on this Earth is important.

It started with questioning religion by geography. I was born in the US, so I was Christian and my god was correct. But what if I was born in Israel? India? Pakistan? I'd have a completely different religion, which of course is the correct one. I had no reason to believe in any of their gods, so I had no reason to believe in mine. After that I discovered Dawkins, Harris and Dillahunty and I was deconverted.

When I was young (11-12), a few thoughts hit me. The first was the question..."What is the first question that a proto-human is going to ask itself, when it finally discovers the ability to think about its own thought?" My answers at the time were: "why am I here" or "Something's gotta be in control of this stuff (thunderstorms, earthquakes, etc), and it's probably a who, because who's are smarter that whats, and smarter than me." And, religion is born! So, I just kinda figured it was all made up. A second thought around that same time-frame was that there were so many religions, mostly all preaching different ways to the same end (to help people live nicely together), that it made no sense to believe in one over another (thus, no sense in believing any at all when combined with the first part).

Cognitive Dissonance

My father was an atheist and my mother was a victim of religion, so any discussion of religion when I was growing up was criticism. I went to Sunday school with friends as a kid and in a lot of ways I was on the fence about whether or not I believed in anything beyond the physical. I took science classes in college mainly to broaden my knowledge and in the hopes of getting off thr "fence". The more science and math I learned, the less inclined I was to accept anything without real evidence, and I say "real" evidence because learning science was teaching me to evaluate evidence. I was no longer on that fence when I read about Randy the Magnificent and his debunking of mediums and others who claim their tricks are real. He has offered a cash reward for anyone who can demonstrate any sort of supernatural phenomena under controlled conditions. No one has ever been able to claim it.

There's no proof for any of it, and no way to test any of it to rule it out or prove it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:119301
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.