Agnostic.com

23 6

What is your New Years Day meal this year?

We don't do tradition at my place. Mom always cooked a pot of ham and beans for New Years Day. This year I made stir fry chicken in Korean BBQ sauce with snow peas, asparagus, bean sprouts and bok choy. I love to cook. Which is a really good thing since I love to eat.

What's on the menu at your place today?

Duke 8 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Last night's leftover pizza. No complaints here.

dkp93 Level 8 Jan 1, 2018

My roommate made turkey dinner two days ago. Leftovers and turkey/stuffing/cranberry sandwich tonite.

AWESOME! I'm a big turkey fan. I smoked one this year for the first time at Thanksgiving. It was amazing. I'll never do it any other way.

Does your roommate make bubble 'n squeek? (Sorry if that's a British thing)

@El-loco you have to explain that

What is that?

@El-loco I've actually had bubble 'n squeek! It was probably 40 years ago.

I went all out southern. I had pork chops cooked with scallions, Black Eyed Peas cornbread and collard greens. Of course the Black Eyed Peas and collard greens were cooked in chicken stock, spices and ,of course, with a ham hock.

@atheist lol Southern Cabbage

@atheist kind of like southern kale- a bitter green

Did you put those pork chops in the collard greens... damn.. that's good!

@BucketlistBob I put a smoked ham hock in.

@Kojaksmom. Oh yeah! I cooked up a pig tail jumbelie when my kids were young. They were stand offish at first. Then it happened, Dad this is good. I remember when I took them to a ditch and caught some crawfish and brought them home and cooked them, Dad this is good.! I'm from the south and I try to make dishes my mother made for us. I love to find these old recepies.

You cooked all of that? Man you ready to get married 😛

@cecirosane60 bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

@Duke made you laugh that hard.. boy you need to get out more 🙂

@CeciRosane60 I have no life. But, having a life would require dealing with people. UGH!

@Duke hey look we people here and you dealing with us

@CeciRosane60 Oh, it's much easier when I can proofread before I click "reply". In person, shit just falls out of my mouth.

@CeciRosane60 I am even laffing

Ild send you a picture if i could. I had cabbage, black eye Peas and rice, pork roast, sweet potatoes. I ate at my neighbors...lol.

Oh yes... chicken and sausage gumbo on the side.

I went out for breakfast this morning which put me in a carb coma but helped me to get a nap. I have been in a severe sleep deficit so the nap was the plan. And this evening I baked some brie bites in a crust that must have come from Trader Joe's. They were taking up space in the freezer. It was that or a peanut butter sandwich, and I needed the freezer space (but oh my golly I could have used the deck it's -5 right now.)

We had rice with black eyes and chopped onions on top, beef tenderloin, roasted sweet and white potatoes, tossed salad, collard greens with sausage, key lime pie, chocolate cupcakes. Forgot the cornbread!

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 1, 2018

tat sounds way down south

I made Dirty Rice with caramelized corn and onions. It was pretty tasty.

that sounds good

It's Jan 2 here now. New Year's Day meal was lamb curry. No special reason.

Today, it was a stew with all the leftover veggies from a week of cooking for all the vegan potluck parties. Onions, garlic, carrots, cabbage, eggplant, celery, tomatoes, potatoes, and lots and lots of herbs and spices. No oil. No salt. No animals. No fat. But remarkably lots of taste! And cruelty-free.

why no oil?

@btroje I try hard to stay away from processed foods. "Vegetable oils are bad because they contain very high levels of polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs). ... Polyunsaturated fats are highly unstable. They oxidize easily. These oxidized fats cause inflammation and mutation in cells"
[nutritionfacts.org]

@btroje [healthline.com]

@btroje [ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

@btroje Last one: [nutritionfacts.org]

Orange chicken and fried rice for me and my monster.

mmm

Hoppin john with ham and black eyed peas for good luck

Chili Mac. Spaghetti with homemade chili instead of sauce.

I had a chimichanga, a taco and an enchilada after being up until 6am, it was heavenly.

Carrots and celery

Everything seems to be in crises - politics, religion, global conditions, family relations, drug problems - everything! What can be done?

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 1, 2018

eat good food

Pulled pork sammiches.

mmmm

Eating LAST YEARS humble pie.

musta been a lot

steak and chips and apple pie

I hung out with some friends last night (even though I said I was going to stay home because I had been out the previous two nights). The bar I was at had some snacks, so I just munched on that stuff in between singing karaoke.

I try not to be superstitious, but the only year I didn't have black-eye peas, cornbread, and chicken-fried steak was one of the worst years of my life. So that's what I ate today. I like Korean chicken dishes very much the rest of the year.

Just some tortellini and coke-zero.

oxtail soup

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12089
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.