Agnostic.com

33 3

If You Were A Former Believer, What Was The Last Religion You Were Affiliated With?

For the sake of us all getting to know each other better,
Please share what your Former religion was. Odds are we, or our family was associated with religion at some point in time, no matter if we chose to embrace it personally or not.

If you happen to have been raised as an atheist or non believer, please share your story!!!

My apologies however it would be impossible to list all religions.

• 23 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 28 votes
twshield 8 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised in a UCC congregation that was quite conservative, considering the denomination as a whole, but I had abandoned that by the end of college. Most recentsly I was a theistic Unitarian Universalist, heavily influenced by 12-step program theology. Now I'm a nontheistic UU.

Was raised catholic. Went to catholic school my whole life. Told my family I didn't believe in God after my sophomore year of high school.

I picked Baptist, though I was largely in non-denominational evangelical places, with varying degrees of Penticostal/Charismatic bents.

Unitarian Universalists

I went to a nondenominational Christian church. Most of tbe people were very nice. You could tell when finances were getting tight though because there'd be the sermon on how if you tithed your 10% god would make you rich. It never worked but christians aren't the most logical thinkers in the world.

That was over 60 years ago.

@twshield It has been over 60 years ago since I was engaged with any religion.

@twshield I was a Methodist as a child and teenager.

Lutheran

I attended a parish school for grades 7 and 8, a catholic high school, and a Jesuit university. Oddly, the Jesuits gave me the intellectual ammunition to effectively analyze, question, and ultimately reject first catholicism, and then religion and theism in general . What a relief!

A Jesuit once said to me "Believe it? What the whole kit and caboodle? No, no, no; that is for the appeasement of the common man whose mind is not able to grasp deeper truths"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:122284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.